Lance Armstrong Using Cold Thermogenesis

I first encountered cold thermo genesis in the book The Four Hour body on the chapter about using cold for fat loss. Apparently this is the reason why Michael Phelps can eat 12,000 calories in a day and still maintain body fat below 10%. Even with all the training he does the calories he burns just don't add up with the calories he ate until they took into consideration swimming in cold pool .

Vickeree said:
I first encountered cold thermo genesis in the book The Four Hour body on the chapter about using cold for fat loss. Apparently this is the reason why Michael Phelps can eat 12,000 calories in a day and still maintain body fat below 10%. Even with all the training he does the calories he burns just don't add up with the calories he ate until they took into consideration swimming in cold pool .
I'm not sure if that's really the same thing. Sure, the temperature of the pool is cold enough that you need to burn more calories to maintain your body temperature, but I don't know if the temperature would be low enough to trigger these other effects in the body. Then again, I'm not seeing a lot of the claims supported in the thread popping up anywhere reliable when I try to research it myself. I'm seeing fat reduction and calorie burn, and I'm seeing ways to use it to condition yourself to be comfortable in lower temperatures, but I don't really see many claims regarding longevity or brain function.

Anyone have an article that's making those claims?

This just makes me sick. This is such a travesty. Lance is no more guilty of doping than the rest of the cycling community. If he beat any tests then so did many, many others. Why just him? Was he too popular, doing too much good with Livestrong? Anyone who goes after a terminal disease and beats it, tries to help others do the same is doomed. He obviously wasn’t playing by THEIR rules and that is his undoing. Did not think they would try to totally destroy him though. They are not just out for his livelihood, now they want his life too. Stress is a killer. He beat cancer twice, optimism and determination were his weapons.

jteezymob said:
This just makes me sick. This is such a travesty. Lance is no more guilty of doping than the rest of the cycling community.
I couldn't agree more! He also cured cancer, invented cycling and won France.

Whatever that thermo genesis is and you said that it is perfectly legal then it can be availed of by those who want to have an advantage over their competitors. A brain enhancing drug or supplement is not new since many athletes are into those supplements (although they have no proof of the therapeutic claims. I remember an iron man event when one competitor quit due to mental fatigue. Maybe he would need that thermo whatever to enhance his brain and mind set.

Cold thermogenesis is not a substance so you are not actually using any drug of a sort. I do know that it has so many wonderful health benefits. It can increase your sex drive, increase your glute-4 pathway which is thought to increase your fat burning capabilities as well. It increases your immune system and also the production of brown adipose tissue which is found in your sternum, and trapezius muscle. Brown adipose tissue also helps burn fat faster.
I have a timer on my phone and I regulate 2 minutes with the shower on hot then 2 minutes on cold. It is the vasodilation of your blood vessels contracting and expanding from where you get a lot of the benefits. As you can imagine it does worlds for your circulation as well!

Is anyone here familiar with cold thermogenesis? Not doping and perfectly legal but I heard Lance Armstrong used it even before he got busted. It is suppose to have a lot of benefits not just on performance but also longevity and brain enhancing effects.

how about some sources for the the claims in this thread.

Is that just a fancy way of saying cold showers? I hear there is actual science backing up cold thermogensis. It improves hormonal levels and is great for lowering inflammation. I guess that is where the whole ice bath thing comes from. Anyone try cryotherapy. It's basically where you walk into into this chamber and it pounds you with intense cold for a short amount of time.

how about some sources for the the claims in this thread.

Does my N = 1 experience count? I tried it about 18 months ago. The most amazing things were how little clothing I needed in winter especially when riding in the cold and the reduced pain sensation. Maybe that's why my fitness is lagging this year.....I was a machine last year. I could do a 200, 300 or 400 mile ride hard and be fine the next day or actually be fine right after the ride. The key differences from this year to last are diet and cold thermogenesis.

Do you really think an Ethics board would approve a real study that would have half of the participants in ice baths? Might be hard to blind that study. I doubt Pfizer will be funding a study to sell ice.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23780370

http://burnhamcoaching.com/cold-thermogenesis-for-endurance-athletes/

With all those scientific papers it's a challenge to see why everyone doesn't know about it.

Try going for a ride in the cold. Just see if your performance increases or if you get numb and your performance decreases as your body is fighting to maintain a proper body temperature.