Cycing Training and Sex Drive

I'll be turning 41 very soon - a matter of days.
I recall reading an amusing story Arnold Schwarzennegger confessed to. He was apparently in his room with a girl one night (in his bodybuilding days) and couldn't perform. I don't recall who it was he phoned but it was a fellow Austrian bodybuilder and Arnie said he should come on over and save the good name of the Austrian nation :) . And that's what happened.
I also heard that Muhammad Ali surrounded himself with girls but sometimes suffered criticism from the ladies if he was having a bad night. The boxer Jose Torres shares an amusing incident over Ali when some lady gave Torres a blow by blow account of which guys she figured had been the best lover. Ali had been placed further down the list.
The question is, though, were Ali and Arnie simply too spent? You know, I suspect both of them doped too. I say that since Ali weighed around 215 pounds when he fought Sonny Liston for the heavyweight title but, after about a year, mysteriously went up to about 245 pounds and stayed lean. Yet he never even lifted weights. So, how come Ali went from cruiser to heavyweight just like that?
As for Arnie, he admitted to doping.
Your approach of switching off from sport and walking along the beach e.t.c is probably the way to go where romance is concerned.

Felt_Rider said:
Glad you found the article. I was afraid it got lost in all the other stuff.

I will be turning 42 in two months and I am going throught the same thing.
Age, work stress, physical stress and training have affected me as well.

It is all physical for me. I have the want, but not the energy.
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it my wife is has a lot of want to and that bothers me that I am too tired and stressed.

You sound like me. I read a lot of your post and it sounds like you are always pushing hard which in my book is a good thing, but realistically all other facets begin to suffer.

I went on vacation a couple months ago and vowed not to do anything else, but walk casually on the beach. For that week things improved for the wife if you know what I mean.

Sounds like you have a lot going on, but if you can schedule a break that might be a good thing.

Keep the hope

I think that the test' test is simple and straigtforward. I have an idea, though I could well be wrong, that it can be done with no more than a saliva sample. But don't bank on it, be prepared to give blood.
Please ease up a bit. Go for short low intensity rides. It will feel like you are doing nothing but if you can then sleep better and improve your love life then you will know that you are getting the benefit of all your training; and your performance on the bike could improve as well.

I would guess that in severe cases that men may need to seek the help of a Urologist, but it sounds like rest is what you need.

I had a testosterone test done before through a blood sample because I had come off of using steroids for virtually 10 straight years. I needed to know if the reproduction system was going to come back on or not. Even when giving a little boost with HCG and Nolvadex it had a hard time getting cranked back up.

http://www.genmedsys.com/hormones.html

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/healthfitness/health_advice/netdoctor/archive/000962.html

http://www.urosoc.org.au/info/hormonereplacement.html

http://health.discovery.com/centers/sex/sexpedia/urologist.html
http://health.discovery.com/centers/sex/sexpedia/urologist_02.html

I agree wholeheartedly.

And becasue he properly disclosed his 10 year relationship with steroids I did not counter his suggestion that I hijacked this post.

I did not.

Testosterone is a key hormone!

And it is at the root of cycling and living.

Again,

Great work feltrider.

lumpy said:
Felt-Rider,

Those were some great links you posted - especially this one:
http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/testosterone/testosterone.html

Thanks!

Sorry for snapping at folk this morning.
I snapped at some coworkers as well.

Wasn't roid rage. I was just being grumpy.

Carrera said:
...I recall reading an amusing story Arnold Schwarzennegger confessed to. He was apparently in his room with a girl one night (in his bodybuilding days) and couldn't perform. I don't recall who it was he phoned but it was a fellow Austrian bodybuilder and Arnie said he should come on over and save the good name of the Austrian nation :) . And that's what happened....
I remember those days. God how I miss 'em. Life was anything but boring and every day presented a new adventure. Not like the ho hum of today. I'm afraid we've all been corporatized.

Do you refer to your own situation or Arnold's - now he's gubernater and no longer a playboy?
Actually it was good news for Arnie when Brigitte Nielson was asked on Celebrity Big Brother who was her perfect lover, Sly or Arnie. She said sorry to Sly but would have to give the nod to Arnie.
Here's something to cheer you guys up: :)

Doctor Morbius said:
I remember those days. God how I miss 'em. Life was anything but boring and every day presented a new adventure. Not like the ho hum of today. I'm afraid we've all been corporatized.

That was witty :)
You know, I reckon that if I looked like that I'd be a lot richer than I am now. Women are lucky as they don't lose their hair as much as guys in their forties.
My hair receding upset me so much I figured on buying a hair-piece. :mad:

frenchyge said:
Thanks Carrera, you're a LOT better looking than I had pictured! :p

Carrera said:
That was witty :)
You know, I reckon that if I looked like that I'd be a lot richer than I am now. Women are lucky as they don't lose their hair as much as guys in their forties.
My hair receding upset me so much I figured on buying a hair-piece. :mad:
Just don't.
If you wear a hair-piece it will not look like hair. It will look like a hair-piece.
Thinning is OK bald is OK but rugs are not OK.
(Nor are comb-overs.)
Actually, hair-loss is associated with testosterone so in the light of this thread, it could be a good thing.
And by the way, nice picture.

You'd be richer alright - by a lot more than the cost of a hairpiece! :D

Ever considered going for the "aero" look?

Just to get this discussion back on thread, I went on a training run last night and it was another killer-thrilla. I try to get one long run in once a week, in between the shorter sessions.
Maybe I was physically tired after being on shifts and not having slep too much but the whole run had me hurting. I started off at a blistering pace on a long, but not very steep, climb but really attacking. At the top of the first climb I was pouring sweat, my face contorted and mind wondering whether I would get through it all. Then came a welcome descent that granted some recovery.
The rest of the ride I picked up a bit but it started to get tough on the second major climb going back home. I got through it but suffered. All in all, three hours in the saddle with my pulse sometimes getting quite high.
Today I am going to rest completely.

Carrera said:
Just to get this discussion back on thread, I went on a training run last night and it was another killer-thrilla. I try to get one long run in once a week, in between the shorter sessions.
Maybe I was physically tired after being on shifts and not having slep too much but the whole run had me hurting. I started off at a blistering pace on a long, but not very steep, climb but really attacking. At the top of the first climb I was pouring sweat, my face contorted and mind wondering whether I would get through it all. Then came a welcome descent that granted some recovery.
The rest of the ride I picked up a bit but it started to get tough on the second major climb going back home. I got through it but suffered. All in all, three hours in the saddle with my pulse sometimes getting quite high.
In my opinion, you should lay off any hard training until you've got your sleep problem sorted out.
By the way, did you see a doctor yet? There might be a non-cycling related problem that accounts for sleepless and sexless nights.

I know what you're saying. Like illness maybe. I saw my doctor recently as I had had this mysterious water works problem, urinating constantly. The doc gave me a urine, blood test and prostate exam. He believed, however, I had been drinking too much coffee during night shifts but I suspect it wasn't that. I suspect I may have been taking too much cod-liver oil. Mysteriously the symptoms have vanished since I stopped taking so much fish oil and I may have been over-dosing.
On the whole, I feel reasonably healthy at present.
I intend to get to the bottom of the sex-drive situation. As it stands, I tend to look at girls in the gym and they still drive me crazy in the skimply outfits and what have you, but physically I'm on a low. I'm headache man of the year.
I'll let you guys know if it's a lowering of hormone levels soon as I get the test.

Don Shipp said:
In my opinion, you should lay off any hard training until you've got your sleep problem sorted out.
By the way, did you see a doctor yet? There might be a non-cycling related problem that accounts for sleepless and sexless nights.

Carrera said:
I know what you're saying. Like illness maybe. I saw my doctor recently as I had had this mysterious water works problem, urinating constantly. The doc gave me a urine, blood test and prostate exam. He believed, however, I had been drinking too much coffee during night shifts but I suspect it wasn't that. I suspect I may have been taking too much cod-liver oil. Mysteriously the symptoms have vanished since I stopped taking so much fish oil and I may have been over-dosing.
On the whole, I feel reasonably healthy at present.
I intend to get to the bottom of the sex-drive situation. As it stands, I tend to look at girls in the gym and they still drive me crazy in the skimply outfits and what have you, but physically I'm on a low. I'm headache man of the year.
I'll let you guys know if it's a lowering of hormone levels soon as I get the test.
If the water-works are back to normal then diabetes probably can be ruled out, the Dr. should have checked for that anyway. Is fish oil a diuretic? I have never heard that one. How would Eskimos manage?
I still don't know what your shift routine is. Working nights can really disrupt your sleep, but doing nights sometimes and days sometimes is worse. Concentrate on getting enough sleep and make that a priority, even more (for now) than getting fitter.
You were joking about the wig, I hope.

The fish oil is high concentrate, normally in tablet form. The directions say 2 teaspoonfulls but I figured I'd be O.K. swigging it. Maybe you can overdose and my kidneys were trying to eliminate the excesses. All I know is it seems much better.
No, I don't rotate shifts fortunately. I go to bed about 8.00 a.m. and rise around 14.00 p.m. Then I have to ride and straight back to work. There isn't much time left after that.
I was joking about the wig but sure wish there was a cure. I used to have a full head of hair in my early thirties :mad:

Don Shipp said:
If the water-works are back to normal then diabetes probably can be ruled out, the Dr. should have checked for that anyway. Is fish oil a diuretic? I have never heard that one. How would Eskimos manage?
I still don't know what your shift routine is. Working nights can really disrupt your sleep, but doing nights sometimes and days sometimes is worse. Concentrate on getting enough sleep and make that a priority, even more (for now) than getting fitter.
You were joking about the wig, I hope.

Carrera said:
The fish oil is high concentrate, normally in tablet form. The directions say 2 teaspoonfulls but I figured I'd be O.K. swigging it. Maybe you can overdose and my kidneys were trying to eliminate the excesses. All I know is it seems much better.
No, I don't rotate shifts fortunately. I go to bed about 8.00 a.m. and rise around 14.00 p.m. Then I have to ride and straight back to work. There isn't much time left after that.
I was joking about the wig but sure wish there was a cure. I used to have a full head of hair in my early thirties :mad:
Not much in fish oil would go out through the kidneys, I suspect. It would be more likely to act as a laxative if you took too much. Probably was the coffee making you pee, it certainly has that effect on me.
If you slept every second you would only be getting six hours. I know that I would not feel too good if I had to make do with that, and getting less would knock me out. When my kids were young I was getting hardly any sleep, and cycling to work and back (11 miles each way) and I was spaced out all the time and generally in a foul mood to boot.

That's why my ride hurt so much yesterday. I got about 4 hours with the dog barking and all. But after the ride I slept a full 8 hours and now feel terrific.
But this work schedule explains to you why I have to train really hard. I know Roger Bannister did just that. He would run on a treadmill till he winded up being knocked off it to the floor. Bannister lived in London same as you and only had about an hour and a half to train at nights.
Myself, what I do when time is short is ride to this hill I know of. It's not very steep but maybe a 14 per cent grade or something like that. I get into a big gear and start climbing with everything I have - and the hill is agonsingly long and winding.
This is what I call the kickstart to the run as by the time I'm at the top, I'm gasping for air.
It's at that point the real ride begins on flats and medium slopes. I'll keep my eyes on the bike computer and give it my all right round the course. I time myself from point to point. I struggle to keep the computer at the speed I hope to maintain. By the end of the run, I'm pancaked. But you know, a recent study-group in a university over here used this similar system I adapted to and they claim it works really well. They claim intensity is the way to go if you're a busy person and just want to get your training done and dusted on a busy day.
But if it turns out all of this training and the sleep deficit is sapping me, I'll have to maybe cut back or periodise more. I'll find out more soon.

Don Shipp said:
Not much in fish oil would go out through the kidneys, I suspect. It would be more likely to act as a laxative if you took too much. Probably was the coffee making you pee, it certainly has that effect on me.
If you slept every second you would only be getting six hours. I know that I would not feel too good if I had to make do with that, and getting less would knock me out. When my kids were young I was getting hardly any sleep, and cycling to work and back (11 miles each way) and I was spaced out all the time and generally in a foul mood to boot.

Carrera:

If what you just described is a typical training session, I have only one word of advice;

STOP!

Track riders---(the fastest riders in cycling) would consider such a session guaranteed to train your body to be: 1) slow 2) sluggish 3) unable to respond to pace changes 4) fatigued 5) poor quality w/o any emphasis other than lactic tresehold and slow cadence 6) trained for slow finishing vrs a fast finish at end of all the drills.

Your sex drive may be connected to this cycle as well. (I believe it is a possibilty)

Road riders might do this type of work out a couple time per week if they do not race that weekend. Such a workout showcases your aerobic and anaerobic power, and some sustainable power too---but does not develop it. (building high fitness and showing it off are two entirely different activities)

But what about recovery in between the hard efforts?

When does your pulse rate drop way down? Is your power-off rest period 2-10 times the 'power-on' period. Do you mix it up or have a standard protocol, or both? Is intensity at Max, near max, or aerobic frontier cruise pace?

Without some rest breaks in between hard efforts, each of your subsequent efforts will be become weaker and weaker. Until you limp home.

You described a typical hammer-head style workout. And hammerheads do not perform at high levels.

No sprint, so high speed, no cat-like reflexs.

It is those things which must be factored in to your drills each week. Not more of the same lactate 3-4 hour endurance pain fests.

If you make some of these changes I strongly believe that 1) you will recover quicker post workout, 2) be more athletic 3) have a wider range of power output, low, middle and top end 4) enjoy cycling more as your versatility expands.

Thanks for reading.

Carrera said: