Cycle insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robin Phillips

Dear friends,

My bike was stolen this afternoon after 48 years of trusty service, so when I looked at my insurance
policy I was dismayed to find that owing to my insurer having amalgamated with another and re-
arranged the policy over a period of several years, my bike is NOT covered when away from the house
unless locked to an immovable object! The insurer is Norwich Union by the way.

Can anyone tell me of any general insurers with more realistic terms, or of insurers who offer
better cover as optional extensions to a household policy.

Naturally I am enquiring about the cover available through CTC, but it may well be more expensive
than I feel is warranted.

Thanks in advance, Yours, Robin.

--
Robin Phillips, Beeston, Notts., NG9 1BT Phone: 0115 922 4930 http://www.beeston12.freeserve.co.uk/

Originally posted by Robin Phillips
Dear friends,

My bike was stolen this afternoon after 48 years of trusty service, so when I looked at my insurance
sorry to hear about your bike mate. I guess Norwich Union haven't "quoted you happy then?"

sorry i have seen the advert about 3million times and it has ****** me off every time.

Try Co-Op insurance. Have always been very good for my parents.

How was the bike nicked?
If I was you I wold tell a few porkies. Tell them you locked it up to a bike railing thing outside a train station or summat and when you came back it was gone.

Robin Phillips wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> My bike was stolen this afternoon after 48 years of trusty service, so when I looked at my
> insurance policy I was dismayed to find that owing to my insurer having amalgamated with another
> and re-arranged the policy over a period of several years, my bike is NOT covered when away from
> the house unless locked to an immovable object! The insurer is Norwich Union by the way.
>
> Can anyone tell me of any general insurers with more realistic terms, or of insurers who offer
> better cover as optional extensions to a household policy.
>
> Naturally I am enquiring about the cover available through CTC, but it may well be more expensive
> than I feel is warranted.
>
> Thanks in advance, Yours, Robin.

Commisserations at losing an old friend. I wouldn't bother with CTC insurance - it costs about 10%
of the bike value per year. Look in the back of Cycle though and try the company listed there. I got
a very good deal combined house and bicycle insurance through them

Tony

In article <5ba11a7a4c%[email protected]>, Robin
Phillips <[email protected]> wrote:
> My bike was stolen this afternoon after 48 years of trusty service, so when I looked at my
> insurance policy I was dismayed to find that owing to my insurer having amalgamated with another
> and re-arranged the policy over a period of several years, my bike is NOT covered when away from
> the house unless locked to an immovable object! The insurer is Norwich Union by the way.

I am absolutely sure in my own mind that I saw your bike locked to a lamp post 5 minuets before it
was stolen.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

"Sandy Morton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I am absolutely sure in my own mind that I saw your bike locked to a lamp post 5 minuets before it
> was stolen.

With two Kryptonite New York locks. Don't tell me the thieving gits nicked the broken bits of lock
as well? Toerags.

The Management wishes it to be known that they do not in any way condone insurance fraud.
Especially the sort where insurance companies take your money and then refuse to pay out when the
bike is nicked.

--
Guy
===

WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"Robin Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:5ba11a7a4c%[email protected]...
> Dear friends,
>
> My bike was stolen this afternoon after 48 years of trusty service, so
when I
> looked at my insurance policy

Just two questions.

1.) How much do you think the bike was worth?
2.) If your bike only gets nicked every 48 years do you really think insurance is worth
bothering with?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> The Management wishes it to be known that they do not in any way condone insurance fraud.

No, but it did **** me off just a little bit when I phoned to make a claim recently (damage to my
house as discussed in another thread) when, immediately after establishing my identity but before
listening to anything about my claim, my insurance company read me their rights -- 'insurance
companies share information and any fraudulent claims will result in you being tarred & feathered'
or words to that effect.

> Especially the sort where insurance companies take your money and then refuse to pay out when the
> bike is nicked.

But that is what insurance is for. It protects you against the foreseeable and denies any
responsibility for high risk incidents.

I'm waiting for the insurer of the prat who drove into my house to claim I should not have left it
parked their as it was an obvious risk to their client.

T

PS -- was the bike stolen within the range of CCTV? If so it might reveal which little tow-rag
nicked it and a civil claim could follow!!

Originally posted by Sandy Morton
I am absolutely sure in my own mind that I saw your bike locked to a lamp post 5 minuets before it
was stolen.
If you'd waited a few minutes you could have helped me saw through the three big fat titanium chains that were securing it - bloody hard work I tell ya.

(sorry, Tony - joking aside, I feel your pain - not to mention downright annoyance)

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I'm waiting for the insurer of the prat who drove into my house to claim I should not have left it
> parked their as it was an obvious risk to their client.

And it was a Polo, you say? Imagine what an SUV would have done to it. Any idea how fast he was
going when your house swerved into his path? And what is the speed limit thereabouts?

--
Dave...

Robin Phillips wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
>
> Can anyone tell me of any general insurers with more realistic terms, or of insurers who offer
> better cover as optional extensions to a household policy.
>
> Naturally I am enquiring about the cover available through CTC, but it may well be more expensive
> than I feel is warranted.

Having looked into this, I think a combination of a big lock and/or never letting the bike out of
sight (yours or a riding partner's) is the best policy. Cycle theft is so rampant that the premiums
are stupid.

Thankfully most insurers still cover the bikes at home, even if your shed isn't the archetypal
brick outhouse.

Adrian Boliston wrote:

> What *did* you lock it to then?
>
Hopefully nothing furry with legs!

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:05:10 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Robin Phillips wrote:
>
>> Dear friends,
>>
>> My bike was stolen this afternoon after 48 years of trusty service, so when I looked at my
>> insurance policy I was dismayed to find that owing to my insurer having amalgamated with another
>> and re-arranged the policy over a period of several years, my bike is NOT covered when away from
>> the house unless locked to an immovable object! The insurer is Norwich Union by the way.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me of any general insurers with more realistic terms, or of insurers who offer
>> better cover as optional extensions to a household policy.
>>
>> Naturally I am enquiring about the cover available through CTC, but it may well be more expensive
>> than I feel is warranted.
>
>Having looked into this, I think a combination of a big lock and/or never letting the bike out of
>sight (yours or a riding partner's) is the best policy. Cycle theft is so rampant that the premiums
>are stupid.
>
>Thankfully most insurers still cover the bikes at home, even if your shed isn't the archetypal
>brick outhouse.

The difference in cost between 'self-insurance' (ie saving up in anticipation) and real insurance
is, ime, minimal. If you follow the former route, as I do, you'll also find that claiming is an
awful lot more simple

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:58:51 +0000, "[Not Responding]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The difference in cost between 'self-insurance' (ie saving up in anticipation) and real insurance
>is, ime, minimal.

Hanson used to do that, IIRC. Their vehicles were insured road traffic act only.

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]>typed

> The difference in cost between 'self-insurance' (ie saving up in anticipation) and real insurance
> is, ime, minimal. If you follow the former route, as I do, you'll also find that claiming is an
> awful lot more simple

Aaaah the 'Buy Myself a new Hi-Fi/Bicycle[1] Slush Fund' Never had my bikes insured. Had several
stolen, enjiyed buying the new ones and probably didn't lose out financially either, cos I had no
middlemen or profits to subsidise...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:46:40 +0000, Robin Phillips
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)Dear friends, ) )My bike was stolen this afternoon after 48 years of trusty service, so when I
:)looked at my insurance policy I was dismayed to find that owing to my insurer )having amalgamated
:with another and re-arranged the policy over a period of )several years, my bike is NOT covered
:when away from the house unless locked )to an immovable object! The insurer is Norwich Union by the
:way. ) )Can anyone tell me of any general insurers with more realistic terms,

I don't think NU's terms are at all unrealistic. It's a bit like leaving the car keys in the
ignition and not expecting your car to be nicked !

or of
:)insurers who offer better cover as optional extensions to a household policy. ) )Naturally I am
:enquiring about the cover available through CTC, but it may )well be more expensive than I feel is
:warranted.

Because it presumably covers for people who don't leave their bike locked !

My insurance for the bike is purely a lock and nothing to do with any money-grabbing company ! How
much for a sensible lock ?
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:59:20 GMT someone who may be
[email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote this:-

>:)my bike is NOT covered when away from the house unless locked )to an immovable object! The
>:insurer is Norwich Union by the way.
>
>I don't think NU's terms are at all unrealistic.

Take a bike on a train. The railways don't like bikes locked to things.

Even if there is a locking point then it is poorly designed and largely useless.

Anyway, the train is not an immovable object.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Originally posted by Pmailkeey
I don't think NU's terms are at all unrealistic. It's a bit like leaving the car keys in the
ignition and not expecting your car to be nicked !

It's a sign of something deeply wrong in society that we should be expecting things to be nicked. Just one of those things that you have to accept but still annoying and upsetting.

My insurance for the bike is purely a lock and nothing to do with any money-grabbing company ! How
much for a sensible lock ?

Not so long ago, I left my bike at the station locked to a thick iron railing with my heavy duty chain that cost around £40 - certainly cheaper than a new bike. Some scallywags came along and decided to try to nick the bike but when they discovered they couldn't get through the chain they decided to kick the back wheel beyond repair.

As if to add insult to injury, they then decided to put their own chain on the bike, presumably thinking that if they couldn't have it then they sure as heck weren't going to let anyone else have it, or that perhaps I would obligingly remove my chain, leaving the bike secure for when they wanted to come and pick it up. Pffft!

But the idiots used one of those flimsy old combination locks that used to be so common. So I went home, got a pair of garden loppers, cut the thing into several small pieces and left it there with a rude note telling the would-be thieves in no uncertain terms what I thought of them.

Now, I consider that I took reasonable precautions to keep my bike secure and I won't have any insurer tell me otherwise. But what can you do when faced with such mindless, pointless, willful vandalism?

But what can you do when faced with such mindless, pointless, willful vandalism?
Needless to say, I've never left my bike at the station since.

"pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> :)Naturally I am enquiring about the cover available through CTC, but it
may
> :)well be more expensive than I feel is warranted.

> Because it presumably covers for people who don't leave their bike locked !

Nope. But they are slightly mopre realistic./ For example, if you tell them what lock you use they
will say it's OK, rather than a lot of insurers who specify that you *must* use a Kryptonite New
York on each wheel and carry a ten-ton concrete anchor to lock it to.

IIRC my CTC insurance premium is a shade under 2% of the value of the bikes covered this year.

--
Guy
===

WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.