Student friendly cycle insurance

"PeteC" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Doki wrote:
>> Self insuring isn't really an option. It'd take me 10 years to have
>> insurance premiums equal the bike's value, (not calced with inflation
>> and deprection, just roughly) and I've already had the bike nicked
>> once since I bought it in March.

> Self-insuring might be your only option, once your insurance company finds
> out that you've had one claim already this year for an expensive bike.

Wasn't insured, and the police found and recovered it.

> in message <[email protected]>, "wafflycat"
> <waffles*$*A**T*v21net$**D*O*T*co*D$*O*T*uk> ('') wrote:
>
>> "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Can anyone suggest a decent cycle insurance firm that's student
>>> friendly? I'm going to Sheffield Hallam, and taking the university
>>> provided home and contents insurance is mandatory. Their bike cover
>>> costs £50 and covers £250 worth of bike, which is a bit poor.
>>>
>>> The bikes are an old Raleigh Banana (£10 worth of bike, with various
>>> bits and pieces hanging off it making it £60 + freebies to replace),
>>> and an Inbred mountain bike, which would be about a grand to replace
>>> from new. The racer's going to be my way to get from A to B, and the
>>> Inbred's going to be locked up (most likely in my room) with a couple
>>> of hefty chains whenever I'm not riding it.
>>>
>>> TIA for any ideas.

>> Get a folder??? Keep in room when not in use - takes up less space than
>> MTB??

> He didn't get £1,000s worth of Inbred to ride places that a Brompton will
> go. An Inbred is likely to be a mountain biker's mountain bike.

Exactly. Unless they do Bromptons with enough clearance for 2.7" tyres and
fit bombers to them... The road bike is for getting about on - worth naff
all, so I'm not too worried about it. The moutanin bike is for moutain
biking.

> Are you going to be in student residences? If so, given the Inbred isn't
> your everyday ride, is there anywhere else you could keep it? Are you a
> member of a Sheffield cycling club, and if so can they help out?

Could try the Uni CC. Not started uni yet, so not a member of any clubs.

> Thing is, it's going to be /very/ hard to insure in student
> accommodation, and it really is quite likely to get nicked (in the years
> I was at University I had three bikes nicked including one very very
> nice one). If there's any alternative to keeping it there which still
> allows you to get out and ride it when you want to I'd take it.

I could keep it at home, which is about 45 mins away on a bad day. But it
seems a bit stupid to drive for an hour and a half in the wrong direction to
then go and ride off to the peaks...

> Oh - I see the AI .sig generator is on-topic as usual!

Mine has gears :).

> wafflycat wrote:
>
>>> Can't go mountain biking on a folder...

>> Well you can, but as to how successful you'd be, that's another matter :)

> Dahon do fold in two MTBs, don't know if they're any good, the Airnimal
> Rhino is a serious bit of off-road kit. It has a serious price tag as
> well, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't go MTBing on one.

The drivetrain is suspisciously roadie. Road chainrings and cassettes with
XT derailleurs - It won't go up many mountains with that gearing on. (And
yes, I know some people fit road cassettes to XC racers). I'd also be
surprised if 105 bottom brackets last long in peak district mud. That bike
is designed for people to ride to work and back on, whilst they point out
the visible XT kit and say it's a top spec MTB.

in message <[email protected]>, Doki
('[email protected]') wrote:
> "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>> Well you can, but as to how successful you'd be, that's another
>>> matter :)

>> Dahon do fold in two MTBs, don't know if they're any good, the
>> Airnimal
>> Rhino is a serious bit of off-road kit. It has a serious price tag as
>> well, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't go MTBing on one.

> The drivetrain is suspisciously roadie. Road chainrings and cassettes
> with
> XT derailleurs - It won't go up many mountains with that gearing on.
> (And yes, I know some people fit road cassettes to XC racers).

24" wheels, though, which lowers the gearing. Oh, and Steve Pete has
a /very/ close ratio cassette on his downhill bike - looks like a Time
Trial cassette. But you couldn't ride that bike /up/ a hill, and I don't
think you'd want to ride it very far on the flat.

;; Friends don't send friends HTML formatted emails.

Doki wrote:

> The drivetrain is suspisciously roadie. Road chainrings and cassettes with
> XT derailleurs - It won't go up many mountains with that gearing on.

You seem to have overlooked the gearing being intrinsically ~25% lower
than most MTBs out of the box...

> I'd also be surprised if 105 bottom brackets last long in peak district mud.

Bottom Brackets are sealed units, though aside from that the spec sheet
I looked at says it's either Tiagra or Ultegra Splined (depending on
black or white model) so your info appears to be off somewhere.

> is designed for people to ride to work and back on, whilst they point out
> the visible XT kit and say it's a top spec MTB.

It won't do as well as a top spec MTB in serious MTB territory, but
that's not the same as being a creation for pseuds who should be on the
roads.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Simon Brooke wrote:

> 24" wheels, though, which lowers the gearing.

20" on the Rhino. Which quite surprised me, but that's what they are.

OTOH I imagine tyre choice with 24" for off-road is probably worse.

Pete.
--

In article <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch wrote:
>Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> 24" wheels, though, which lowers the gearing.

>20" on the Rhino. Which quite surprised me, but that's what they are.
>OTOH I imagine tyre choice with 24" for off-road is probably worse.

And there are other gearing possibilities, making it even less cheap:
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/rohloff_rhino.shtml

(http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/rhino.shtml has a photo of a standard one
on a hill, if not an exceptionally lumpy or steep bit.)