Cycling Computer w/On-Off Average?

Bill Sornson

Guest
(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> I'm working in a place now where it makes sense to do semi-road rides.
>
> I've got a couple of routes that I ride for average speed, but at
> either end, if I walk the bike or ride slowly (as in negotiating the
> company parking lot...) it messes up my average time.
>
> Anybody heard of a cycling computer that allows the averaging
> function to be turned on and off?

The human brain? (As in, don't turn it on until {or reset it when} you
start the "meat" of the ride; then note the average speed before you wind it
down.)

You could also just check your elapsed time from point to point (probably
much easier and more accurate, too).

Finally, ask in one of the GRS groups -- it's way too "serious" for AM-B!

Bill "personally time myself with a sundial" S.

--
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote let it be known in
news:[email protected]:

> I'm working in a place now where it makes sense to do
> semi-road rides.
>
> I've got a couple of routes that I ride for average speed,
> but at either end, if I walk the bike or ride slowly (as in
> negotiating the company parking lot...) it messes up my
> average time.
>
> Anybody heard of a cycling computer that allows the
> averaging function to be turned on and off?

Every computer I've ever had (or seen) has two ways of
operating.

The 'default' method is an on/off button that you have to
remember to use whenever you start and stop the bike.

But they all usually have an 'auto' function that stops the
timer a few seconds after the last time wheel movement is
detected, and starts it again the next time the magnet comes
around. So what you end up with is an average that only includes
moving time, plus the benefit of not having to remember to
constantly start and stop the computer.

This is the computer I use now on my road bike (I don't track
miles on my mtn bike)
<http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Computer/product_20700.shtml>. It
has a two-line display, auto on/off and a cadence sensor. The
cadence sensor isn't as useful on a mtn bike, but it IS good for
training to know what your cadence is and try to maintain a good
fast 'spin' which makes your muscles last longer.

Per Bill Sornson:
>The human brain? (As in, don't turn it on until {or reset it when} you
>start the "meat" of the ride; then note the average speed before you wind it
>down.)

The few remaining brain cells are almost totally dedicated to work....

I'll ride sometime between 11 and 2.... then go back to work until sometime
between 5 and 7... Yeah, I could probably make a mental note and write write it
down later, and I'd probably even remember that I did and where I wrote it....
but the brass ring would be to be able to just read the average off of the
'puter when I hang the bike up at nite.
--
PeteCresswell

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:38:48 -0700, "(Pete Cresswell)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm working in a place now where it makes sense to do semi-road rides.
>
>I've got a couple of routes that I ride for average speed, but at either end, if
>I walk the bike or ride slowly (as in negotiating the company parking lot...) it
>messes up my average time.
>
>Anybody heard of a cycling computer that allows the averaging function to be
>turned on and off?

pop the computer off when you want to stop the logging?

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:04:44 -0700, JeB wrote:

>>Anybody heard of a cycling computer that allows the averaging function to be
>>turned on and off?

> pop the computer off when you want to stop the logging?

Or if the receiver slides fairly easily (as it does on my front fork),
just turn it away from the magnet.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address

You can't bake your cake and eat it too come on. Pop
the monitor out or hold up the front wheel off the ground. I walk from
rear door to store room and out to the rear door at the end of the
day with my bike with the wheel off the ground. You got to be able to
think for yourself.

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> I'm working in a place now where it makes sense to do semi-road rides.
>
> I've got a couple of routes that I ride for average speed, but at either end, if
> I walk the bike or ride slowly (as in negotiating the company parking lot...) it
> messes up my average time.
>
> Anybody heard of a cycling computer that allows the averaging function to be
> turned on and off?

You're thinking too hard and not riding hard enough if you're worried
about this.

But if you want, the Cateye Enduro II is a cheap, common and robust
cycle computer that has an average feature and it has a nice bright red
start/stop button if you don't want to use the 'automatic' start. You
start riding, you push the button to start it. You dismount, you push
the button to stop it.
--
Westie