Suggestions for cycling computer

Dan

Guest
I want to add a cycling computer to my bike, am looking at the Cateye
units (http://www.cateye.com). Are these fairly decent? Any particular
model(s) stand out? Are the wireless examples as reliable as the wired?
Any other brands I should consider? And finally, what the hell is
"cadence"???

TIA!

Dan

Dan wrote:
> I want to add a cycling computer to my bike, am looking at the Cateye
> units (http://www.cateye.com). Are these fairly decent? Any
> particular model(s) stand out? Are the wireless examples as reliable
> as the wired? Any other brands I should consider? And finally, what
> the hell is "cadence"???
>
> TIA!
>
> Dan

I buy whatever MTB one is on sale at perfomance.

cadence is your pedal stroke/minute.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is this the performance you mean
http://www.performancebike.com/index.cfm ?

Dan

Dan wrote:
> I want to add a cycling computer to my bike, am looking at the Cateye

> units (http://www.cateye.com). Are these fairly decent? Any

particular
> model(s) stand out? Are the wireless examples as reliable as the

wired?
> Any other brands I should consider? And finally, what the hell is
> "cadence"???

The best cycle computer is no computer.

Dan wrote:
> I want to add a cycling computer to my bike, am looking at the Cateye
> units (http://www.cateye.com). Are these fairly decent? Any
> particular model(s) stand out? Are the wireless examples as reliable
> as the wired? Any other brands I should consider? And finally,
> what the hell is "cadence"???

You really don't need a fancy (one that keeps cadence) cyclometer on a
mountain bike, unless you're a "serious" racer type. They're much more
common on road bikes.

If you want to use one, though, any basic (cheap) unit will do to track
total miles, ride time, etc. Check Performance, Nashbar, Supergo, etc. (I
prefer wireless for the cleaner look, but only on the skinny-tire bike.)

Bill "the ride's over when you get back to the trailhead" S.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:53:28 -0400, Dan wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply. Is this the performance you mean
> http://www.performancebike.com/index.cfm ?

That would be the one. And I agree - a computer is a "nice to have", and
there's no reason to invest a bundle in it. I'm still using a $15 wired
comp (on the original battery!) that I bought about 10 years ago.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address

I have a Cateye Enduro2 and it is great. I have had it about 4 years. It is
easy to move between the menus and it has a heavyer wire going to the
sensor. I think it was $15.00. Forget the whole cadence thing because that
means you would have to wire up 2 sensors, one on the wheel and one on the
crank.

"Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I want to add a cycling computer to my bike, am looking at the Cateye units
>(http://www.cateye.com). Are these fairly decent? Any particular model(s)
>stand out? Are the wireless examples as reliable as the wired? Any other
>brands I should consider? And finally, what the hell is "cadence"???
>
> TIA!
>
> Dan

I bought a cheap one for the main reason that I've got a lot of trail
descriptions that read like "after 2.6 miles take the right hand trail".
Once I get riding I have no concept of the actual distance.

Guess it's a "guy thing" ;-) Can't judge distance, can't ask for
directions.

Can't recall ever really using the other functions much.

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dan wrote:
> > I want to add a cycling computer to my bike, am looking at the Cateye
> > units (http://www.cateye.com). Are these fairly decent?

> Any other brands I should consider? And finally, what the hell is
> "cadence"???

be sure to mount it next to your mobile phone bracket and mp3 player.

cheers

gaz

********

gazzer wrote:
> > Any other brands I should consider? And finally, what the hell

is
> > "cadence"???

> be sure to mount it next to your mobile phone bracket and mp3 player.
>
> cheers
>
> gaz

You forgot their R2D2 unit in the BOB trailer...

JD

You forgot to kiss my ass

JD wrote:
> gazzer wrote:
>
>>> Any other brands I should consider? And finally, what the hell

> is
>
>>>"cadence"???

>>be sure to mount it next to your mobile phone bracket and mp3 player.
>>
>>cheers
>>
>>gaz

> You forgot their R2D2 unit in the BOB trailer...
>
> JD

Dan top posted in crayon:
> You forgot to kiss my ass

You forgot to post your full name and address to give me the
opportunity.

JD

You first, "JD"

JD wrote:
> Dan top posted in crayon:
>
>>You forgot to kiss my ass

> You forgot to post your full name and address to give me the
> opportunity.
>
> JD

Anonymous "Dan" top posted again:
> You first, "JD"

When you find yourself in danger
When you're threatened by a stranger
When it looks like you will take a lickin'

BOCK BOCK BOCK BOCK

There is someone waiting who will hurry up and rescue you
Just caaaaalllllll for Superchicken

BOCK ACK!

JD

Dan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> ********
>
> gazzer wrote:
> >> Any other brands I should consider? And finally, what the hell is
> >>"cadence"???

> > be sure to mount it next to your mobile phone bracket and mp3 player.
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > gaz

top posting panty-waist.

cheers

I've had this Cateye for 7 years and the sensor went
last year so I replaced it so now I've got one sensor and two monitors.
So if the monitor goes I pop in the new one. The Enduro 2 and Velo 3 are
just about the same and can use the same sensor/wire.

Batteries last me about a year, I do 5,000 - 6,000
miles a year. Season is 12 months a years and 7 days a week. Rain I put
on my rain suit. Rain mtbing I rest. This is a rain gear 3 day week-
end in good old New England New London CT. No computer on my 3
speed but it does have fenders ,inclosed chain,and drum brakes. I'm
riding see you when done.

Dan wrote:
> I want to add a cycling computer to my bike, am looking at the Cateye
> units (http://www.cateye.com). Are these fairly decent? Any particular
> model(s) stand out? Are the wireless examples as reliable as the wired?
> Any other brands I should consider? And finally, what the hell is
> "cadence"???

I have a cateye (wired) that I've been very happy with. Amazing battery
life too, I think I've had it 3 years now and the original battery is
still going strong.

[email protected] wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>
>>I want to add a cycling computer to my bike, am looking at the Cateye

>>units (http://www.cateye.com). Are these fairly decent? Any

> particular
>
>>model(s) stand out? Are the wireless examples as reliable as the

> wired?
>
>> Any other brands I should consider? And finally, what the hell is
>>"cadence"???

> The best cycle computer is no computer.

Is this like a sort of "one hand clapping" type of thing?