Cycling image problem....oldtimers.

BullGod said:
I'm a Cat 1 and I have raced a fair bit recently in UK and Holland, Belgium. It has struck me recently that our sport has always had a major image problem, and unlike football (soccer) cycling is definitely not considered a fashionable sport. A standard comment I hear from friends is that it's very boring to watch, and that "they're all on drugs anyway", as well as more juvenile comments about shaved legs and tight lycra.

On a local level, the cyclists that people see out "training" seem to be frequently over 50 and overweight, yet still feeling the need to wear a replica pro kit, and even worse ride a pro level bike. Imagine how people would laugh if they went to the park and saw a group of middle aged and elderly men kicking a soccerball around, all dressed in replica Arsenal and Barcelona strips, complete to the team socks, attempting feebly to emulate the tricks and theatrics of Messrs Henry and Ronaldinho.

I know when I am in my 50's the last thing I want to be doing is risking impotence and a heart attack grinding into the wind in April. Worse still are the over analytical endless discussions of mature riders who have also "invested" in powermeters and HR monitors and are busy trying to improve their 180w FT. Why not just get a touring bike and take a leisurely ride along a canal or something? You're never gong to be young again. I have no objection to those who raced in their prime and ride a bit after "retirement" to keep the athlete's heart in check, but those who take up such a demanding sport in middle age? I believe it's called a mid life crisis fellas....what are you trying to prove?

So, whenever the average person is exposed to cycling it's either yet another drugs bust, scary Lance making the TdF boring, a "Fred" provoking a pitying laugh by riding along at 18kph with his knees pointing outwards astride a Trek Madone, or some bore droning on about crank length or resistance levels of tubs v clinchers.

I don't necessarily agree with all my sentiment here, and I have deliberately expressed myself in controversial terms...but I'd be interested to hear any agreements and disagreements on the issues I raised.
TYSON 63 - 64 in August! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm only 21 and there are several 40-60yr olds in my area that can drop me on the flats, at some even have a belly! Also for running, several guys on our team that are 45-55 I pace with them, they are super fast. I always love the older guys, who may be a lil out of shape out there pushing their limits. I swear they are always having the best time.

As far as being yelled at, coke cans tossed at ya or honked at(not a nice honk either). I have had this happen to me on the bike but not nearly as much as I have while running. I would get "Learn how to run you *****" and I'm doing a 5:40 pace fo a 2.5miles run(if it was at the end of a 16mile run and I was bout to pass out, ok that would make sense). I'm doubting the guys yelling could run near that, so I never really got that.

But it has always kinda struct me odd that people would hassle people running/cycling.

A week or two ago my group (of 2) and two other guys went by an "older" group (I'm 37 and my riding buddy is 47), we were hauling the mail at the time at 23-25+ mph (tailwind). One of the older guys jumped on our wheel and hung with us for a while. Must have been close to 60, with a belly, but there he was and he even took a few pulls. We did about 4-5 miles like that before he we his seperate way at an intersection. Could I have most likely droped him if I wanted too> Most likely, but I would have dropped my buddy too. But that wasn't my intention at all. After the turn my buddy said "I see that guys out here all the time. He's good." If somebody can hang and is doing their share of the work, I don't care if their 6 or 60. If the tables are turned, I would expect the same in return.

But I know when NOT to hammer as well too. I've had some great rides with folks by sitting up and NOT showing them my rear wheel. There are some really nice "older" riders out there. When I first started out, there were a couple that I met on the road and they gave the the old "Have you ever thought about doing this..."

L

Yeah, too many oldtimers trying to actually do stuff, and stuff. :rolleyes:

I got my 57 y/o Dad into cycling this past fall, but now that I realize how I've hurt the sport, I'll try to make him stop. ;)

frenchyge said:
Yeah, too many oldtimers trying to actually do stuff, and stuff. :rolleyes:

I got my 57 y/o Dad into cycling this past fall, but now that I realize how I've hurt the sport, I'll try to make him stop. ;)
LOL Does he wear a red polkadot King of the Mountains jersey like me - true?
Tyson

So on your 50th birthday are you going to put away your roadbike, your passion, and say, just because what people might think of me I'm not going to ride anymore, and buy yourself a nice "old person's" bike? A lot of those 50+ cyclist may have been riding since they were 10 for all we know.

Would you tell Eddy Merckx he looks silly if he rode past you on your next ride.

I'm going to ride until.....

C'mon guys, don't feed the trolls. You should all know better than this. They thrive on this kind of stuff.

wh0areume said:
Yep, the more people staying in shape, the better.
IMO - there's too many CAT-1s in cycling that hate old people.
Yep, and there's too many Cat 1s who have to tell the world they are Cat 1s who have raced in Europe!!

Give me a 50 year old belly on a top end roadie on his weekly 20km ride, who doesn't care what people think, but he loves his sport, his bike, his kit and his life, anyday.

Sillyoldtwit said:
LOL Does he wear a red polkadot King of the Mountains jersey like me - true?
Tyson
Not for long -- I got him a replica World Champion jersey, and gold helmet and shoes for father's day. He should look sweet taking a breather on a park bench this summer! :D

I think Bullsh-tGod has a fixation with 180W. Take a look at another post of his.

Thanks for the tip - I've been doing my speed training with the setting on brake level 2 or 3 - so the innaccuracy shouldn't be too major. Certainly not enough to mean that it said 360w and it was just 180!

frenchyge said:
Not for long -- I got him a replica World Champion jersey, and gold helmet and shoes for father's day. He should look sweet taking a breather on a park bench this summer! :D
Nice. That should go well with his gold tipped cane. ;)

Just kidding, you know.

BullGod said:
On a local level, the cyclists that people see out "training" seem to be frequently over 50 and overweight, yet still feeling the need to wear a replica pro kit, and even worse ride a pro level bike. Imagine how people would laugh if they went to the park and saw a group of middle aged and elderly men kicking a soccerball around, all dressed in replica Arsenal and Barcelona strips, complete to the team socks, attempting feebly to emulate the tricks and theatrics of Messrs Henry and Ronaldinho.

I completely agree with this. Pro team clothes and rainbow/yellow jerseys aren't cool if you didn't earn it.

Who remembers Reg Harris?

Britain's first cycling superstar was Reg Harris, five times the World Sprint Champion and the winner of two silver medals in the 1948 Olympics.

The only survivor of a tank attack in the Western Desert in 1940, Harris was discharged as 'medically unfit', but the doctors under-estimated his determined character and in 1947 he won the World Amateur Sprint Championships. In 1957, just ten years after his first world title, he retired and became the proud owner of the historic Fallowfield track in Manchester. It was renamed the Harris Stadium. But life was not easy outside the track. So in 1971 he returned to sprint racing. He caused a sensation. He was 51. Losing in the semi-finals of the British Championship didn't stop him, and in 1974 incredibly, at the age of 54 he won his fifth British Sprint Championship.

velomanct said:
I completely agree with this. Pro team clothes and rainbow/yellow jerseys aren't cool if you didn't earn it.

Does that apply to football, baseball, ice hockey and every other sport where fans wear their team's shirt or just cycling? :p

I think its every individual's prerogative if he/she wants to wear team jerseys for cycling.

Obviously people are going to give you stick for it(especially if your skills aren't up to scratch) but if you're unfazed, just continue to do what you enjoy. Personally i rather wear the ordinary as i don't really like to attract too much attention.

But frankly if you're just out to have some fun in your team jersey just go ahead.

As for cycling image, the image really comes with the sport. Cycling is quite an expensive sport comparatively, and its not going to be mainstream like say soccer, as such sports are more readily available to get into quickly. As such, if the majority aren't part of it, its always going to be different and inherenty odd.

Also media coverage is important. Tennis might just seem like some game for senior people, but with the likes of maria sharapova, nadal coming up etc... its become a glamorous sport.

The same can happen to cycling.. All is needed is a David Beckham of cycling.

Ok. I'll admit that I agree that the more people taking up the sport the better. Shame more of them aren't 15 though...

I'm also totally supportive of anybody setting themselves a goal and training hard to achieve it, whether it's getting a pro contract at the age of 21 or making a century at 20mph when you're 70. Fair play.

There are also plenty of guys in their 50's who can ride harder than some younger riders, or can use their experience to hang on in the pack in a local race. I've seen it - I admire it. Personally though, when I am that age I intend to be taking it easy. I'm knackered enough now. Hopefully I'll have some time in 10 years to give my good woman the attention she misses out on now while I'm out training. And drinking beer of course.

I do still think though that the wearing of pro jerseys, or worse still - world champion, KOM, maillot jaune or gold shoes (!) should be left to those actually eligible and deserving. Here in Holland all the recreational roadies proudly wear Rabobank kit. I wonder if anyone ever realises that they're paying 60 Euros to voluntarily advertise a bank? Also - if you only ride 2,500km a year and you don't compete do you really need carbon frames and DuraAce? Is it not just a case of taking up the sport on a decent enough bike, having a tough time, and figuring that the solution doesn't lie in training hard but in the acquisition of space age bike technology? Let's face it - every cyclist here knows that feeling....

I'd hate to think that I had expressed an intolerant view....especially if it is pointed out by residents of a country where gay people wanting to be happy by getting married seems to be causing such a furore. I am humbled.

I should also point out that I'm not a US Cat 1 bragging about having "raced in Europe" - I've raced (and still do) in Europe because I'm a European.

Bullgod,

After reading your second post, I don't think you were trolling with the first one (I wasn't 100% sure yesterday). I actucally agree with you on somethings like NEEDING dura ace, but if you can afford it, why not. It is smoother than some of the other stuff, so why not treat yourself. I'll agree 100% on the KOTM, Green, yellow jerseys etc. I even have a hard time (personally) with pro kit's that the common man on the street here in the US would know (USPS, DIScover, Phonak, and CSC). Other than that most Americans couldn't identify they team. I don't really care if other folks wear them, but you are not going to see me wear them. I must admit I have and wear team ONCE and Ekolog jerseys (both defunct teams) that I got a screeming deal on at gearlink. I don't think I could bring myself to wear the team bibs with them however.... ;)

Also know that not all of the folks in the U.S. think that our president is doing the right think with the whole gay marriage thing. We've got much worse problems here to deal with than that (the war(s), deficit spending, health care, etc, etc etc). It was a political stunt, that's all.

L

Doctor Morbius said:
C'mon guys, don't feed the trolls. You should all know better than this. They thrive on this kind of stuff.
That is also what I thought at first, but now I realized how good this thread is.

It's a good occasion to pay tribute to VSOT (read very special old timers)
:D

BullGod said:
Here in Holland all the recreational roadies proudly wear Rabobank kit. I wonder if anyone ever realises that they're paying 60 Euros to voluntarily advertise a bank?

Not only do they realise it, I would bet many of them have an account with Rabobank because of the team. It's called sponsorship not charity.

BullGod said:
Also - if you only ride 2,500km a year and you don't compete do you really need carbon frames and DuraAce?.

Maybe, maybe not. Do you have to race or ride a set amount of miles to want to enjoy a lighter bike with smoother shifting and braking? Do you think bike companies would be able to research and develop new technology without mass sales?

The same goes for team clothing. If you are providing thousands of items of clothing to a pro team you expect a commercial return in the form of the sale of replica kit.

You could also apply your argument to the drivers of super cars: if you don't race, you shouldn't drive a Ferrari. Or how about people wearing Ducati bike leathers on their Ducati motorbike? Should they stop it, too?

Sounds like someone has some serious issues with growing old. Have you been watching Logan's Run or something? Carousel! Carousel! Carousel! :eek: