cycling in kit to school?

callmejere

Apr 6, 2012
i'm a college student who is only taking one class this semester. i live about 15 miles off campus and i always ride my bike to school in my gear. living in california, wearing my jersey and shorts is the best way for me to stay cool and comfortable this time of year. i'm not really sure if others consider walking around campus in cycling shorts socially acceptable. either way, i don't really care, i'm just wondering if anyone else wears their kits loud and proud in questionable places.

Wearing bicycling clothes to class shows lack of respect for the others in the class including the instructor. So I would not wear bicycling clothes to school.

I don't even go to the bank in my bicycle clothes. I ride right past it on my daily ride. Then I drive to it. Properly dressed.

Gas stations and convenience stores are the only places I go to in my cycling clothes.

callmejere said:
i'm a college student who is only taking one class this semester. i live about 15 miles off campus and i always ride my bike to school in my gear. living in california, wearing my jersey and shorts is the best way for me to stay cool and comfortable this time of year. i'm not really sure if others consider walking around campus in cycling shorts socially acceptable. either way, i don't really care, i'm just wondering if anyone else wears their kits loud and proud in questionable places.
There's nothing socially unacceptable about walking about campus in your kit or attending one class in it. What you wear to class is not a big concern for professors or many other folks. With that said, you might want to throw in your backpack a t-shirt and shorts of some sort to put on over your gear so that the seat doesn't get wet from your sweaty clothes. Out here, in Arizona, the standard student kit--undergraduates and graduate students, as well as some professors--is shorts, a t-shirt or casual short sleeved shirt of some sort, and either flip-flops or Tevas with no socks.

I stop at StarBucks in kit... never gave it any thought about wether it was acceptable or not. I don't like wearing the cycling shorts after my ride. Once the sweat cools a bit.. I don't like the way they feel. I'd follow alienator's advice and take a change or throw-over.

What's the big deal with a cycling kit? I think it looks better than some other fashion items. So if I were you, I would not worry. Shows that you are sportive /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif