Cycling in Perth

Dini77

Sep 21, 2005
Hi folks

it looks like i'll be moving to Perth. I wanted to find out what the cycling is like over West, what are good areas for riding, road quality etc. Are there specific suburbs that are more bike friendly then others or is it generally pretty good in Perth?

Also, would be great if someone out there could steer me in the right direction of good clubs and bunches I could hook up with when I get over there. I'm a competitive cyclist and race A-B grade (depending on fitness) if that helps any.

Cheers

Perth is great for cycling, I'm pretty sure there's more dual lane bike path over here then in any other state in Australia. As for clubs cant help you out with that. Most suburbs shouldn't be to far from a local ride.

Scotttri said:
...Most suburbs shouldn't be to far from a local ride.
I'll second that. Basically find out where you're going to live / work, and hook up with a group that fits in with that.
Many of the bike shops run regular group rides, so check out their websites, or ask at the LBS.
If you ride track at all, rides at the Superdome are largely facilitated by the two following clubs, both of which have been helpful to myself and my family:
- Midland Cycling Club
- Track Cycling WA
Cycling WA carry listings of their supported events Western Australia
There are good rides along the coast, and up in the hills. Enjoy.

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated. I'll most likely be living in Subiaco (i hear good things about it) so will check it out.
cheers!

Dini77 said:
Thanks for the responses - much appreciated. I'll most likely be living in Subiaco (i hear good things about it) so will check it out.
cheers!

Some of my old mates played football for subi (vic boys chasing coin in the wafl) and they reckoned it is **** hot living there. No idea if they rode bikes but they said subi was gold. mind you at least one of them grew up in dandenong or noble park so in that regard take it with a grain of salt.

go visit Bike Force in Subiaco, they do bunch rides at least 3 times a week, their riders would be A-B grade...But beware of the shop itself. I personally find Bike Force staff far too pushy and over-eager; once inside the shop, you feel the staff looking hungrily at you like a hyena eyeing off a wounded gazelle. They "hover" .Pick a pair of gloves off the rack, and they literally come in their pants. " That's a fantastic brand blah blah blah " you wonder how much red cordial they've drunk today. Seriously.

VadarStrikesBack said:
Some of my old mates played football for subi (vic boys chasing coin in the wafl) and they reckoned it is **** hot living there. No idea if they rode bikes but they said subi was gold. mind you at least one of them grew up in dandenong or noble park so in that regard take it with a grain of salt.

Too funny:D. I'm originally from Melbourne so could understand how anyone from Dandenong and Noble Park would be in Subi

Scotttri said:
Perth is great for cycling, I'm pretty sure there's more dual lane bike path over here then in any other state in Australia. As for clubs cant help you out with that. Most suburbs shouldn't be to far from a local ride.
I agree with this because before couple of month I visited Perth and I enjoyed cycling with my sister in law . Perfect place for this . Where as I visited Melbourne I not found space like Perth .

if you move to Subiaco...it's one of those suburbs with lots of "wanna-be-rich" really fake people, kind of like a blend of South Yarra/Carlton. As I said, BikeForce in Subi has bunch rides; it helps to be more aware of traffic as some Perth-ites are hopeless at sharing the road. Melbourne drivers are far more tolerant in this respect. Having spent many years in Melb, then moving to Perth in 98, I can compare the 2 cities.
Get used to very very poor bike shop service, excuses such as "oh the parts have to come from overeast" so your bike won't be fixed as quickly as in Melbourne.
Buy parts from wiggle.com.uk or probikekit as prices are a bit steep here. Jerseys and knicks, pedals, etc aren't cheap.

Riders in Subiaco 'generally' ride with CRT and depending on the level of riding you are doing are a great club with room to smash it out in a fast group with a lot of varied routes.
Head down to Brew-ha on the weekend (main street) and you will see the cyclists milling there for more info.

Subiaco is very central to a lot of clubs, another great one is: South Perth Rouleurs: The website for the South Perth Cycle Club Great club especially if you're hungry for some hill rides (and in my personal experience bit friendlier)

Enjoy!!

Good to see a lot of riders still in Perth (my home town) yes Subi was an up and coming suburb when I left in '89

I used to work at Gordonson's Bike shop I am sure they are not around anymore even though they were the biggest chain of bike shops when I lived there - perhaps they morphed into Bike Force ...certainly sounds like them - ha ha ha