Cycling just sucks you in.

dbackmtg

Oct 9, 2005
I just recently viewed over all my posts since I have joined and got quite a chuckle. When I first joined I had just got my first bike, a used Diamondback Master TG and that bike was going to last me for a long while. I did't care about time or racing I was just out to ride. then I bought my second bike, my flat bar road bike. Yeah, it's a bit slower but I'm not racing or anything. I then had to ride my dback when my flat bar was in the shop. I realized on one of my rides that I was six minutes faster on the dback. It didn't bother me, did it? Heck yes it did. After new tires, rims and various other lighter equipment I decided it still wasn't fast enough. What was I to do? I bought a new bike that I pick up on Wednesday, three days before the race I entered. Every time I come home from the LBS I have a bag of goodies. I'm starting to eat sleep and breath cycling, but I don't care about time and racing, I'm just in it to have fun. Right! why didn't someone warn me?

I hear ya man.... "just when you think your out, they suck you right back in."

I started a little over a month ago and ever since my first week of having a regular ride routine going, I have been highly addicted... I too eat sleep and think about riding all day. I gawk over pictures of high end bikes thinking about the day when I can afford one. Hell my wallpaper on my computer is a kick ass looking bike I found in the photo gallery of this very forum.

Not only does riding suck you in, but working on the bike does too....today I changed the tires on my mtb from knobby to slick and I loved working on the bike... I was actually looking for stuff on it to fiddle with and tune up... I am combing thrift stores and yard sales to find a bike or two that I can tinker with.

You are in now man... no turning back.

cycling_jedi said:
I hear ya man.... "just when you think your out, they suck you right back in."

I started a little over a month ago and ever since my first week of having a regular ride routine going, I have been highly addicted... I too eat sleep and think about riding all day. I gawk over pictures of high end bikes thinking about the day when I can afford one. Hell my wallpaper on my computer is a kick ass looking bike I found in the photo gallery of this very forum.

Not only does riding suck you in, but working on the bike does too....today I changed the tires on my mtb from knobby to slick and I loved working on the bike... I was actually looking for stuff on it to fiddle with and tune up... I am combing thrift stores and yard sales to find a bike or two that I can tinker with.

You are in now man... no turning back.
And then 35 years later, your still riding. Only now you can afford the high end CF bikes and all the stuff that goes with it. Young guys look at you with distain and say you have more bike than you skill warrants and you just smile and say "Yeah..ain't it a b!tch".

Somehow I can imagine your LBS owner getting a really happy grin on his face whenever you walk in the door. :D

OldSoldier said:
And then 35 years later, your still riding. Only now you can afford the high end CF bikes and all the stuff that goes with it. Young guys look at you with distain and say you have more bike than you skill warrants and you just smile and say "Yeah..ain't it a b!tch".

Experience will get you farther than youth. I had three guys in their 50's pass me on a hill last week. I think of it as the older cyclists have earned their high end bikes and most of them can surely use them.

Yup, you really see it on longer climbs. The young guns (I am getting very close to 40...) whiz by you in the first 3~4 kms, and later you ride by them, as they try to keep their bike upright while zig-zagging at 2 kp/h...

Cycling really does suck you in and I cannot let go!!

I have not cycled in while after buying me a new bike in November last year. I then moved to another area and the bike has been standing ever since, yet I will not sell it and I still read all the local bike mags that I can get hold of!!! And we know how we get when the TDF starts!!! Bike comes out, dusted off and their you go!!

Cycling is not a hobby, it's a way of life!!!! :D

Since getting rid of my car back in January,my main means of transport is my bike.Your right,it really does become a way of life and I don't really miss the car that much.I think these bike computers detract from the pleasure of cycling.I spend too much time since fitting one concerned with how many miles I've covered each week and my average speed etc rather than just getting on my bike,riding out and enjoying it,I think I'll ditch the comp!

dbackmtg said:
Experience will get you farther than youth. I had three guys in their 50's pass me on a hill last week. I think of it as the older cyclists have earned their high end bikes and most of them can surely use them.
It's not the bike it's the engine,I regularly ride a 34 yr old 3 spd roadster and have often embarassed riders on expensive high end machines.I may not be in my 50's,but at 40 I'm no spring chick either lol.

Hahaha oh yes, so true. I can't even remember what I used to do with my time before starting a regular ride routine.

hillibillybiker said:
It's not the bike it's the engine,I regularly ride a 34 yr old 3 spd roadster and have often embarassed riders on expensive high end machines.I may not be in my 50's,but at 40 I'm no spring chick either lol.
Blew away a fully lycra clad guy who was riding a brand new £600(at least that much)Trek MTB on my old Vicars bike today,whilst wearing t shirt jeans and scruffy old trainers,plus he was at least 10 yrs younger.
I looked over my shoulder and could see him trying his level best to catch me,but to no avail.I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open in the classified section of the local paper for a £600 Trek MTB going cheap lol.Maybe I shouldn't be too hard on the poor soul,he did look like a Sundays only rider and I'm a 100 mile plus a week cyclist.God I love cycling hehehe.