Cycling routes in Manchester - Website

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by 92jon, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. 92jon

    92jon New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2004
    Hi,
    I am new to this excellebt forum - Hello!
    Have a look at my website - it looks at safe bike rides in the Greater Manchester Area (England).
    Its only my first go at website design - so please bear with me.
    Have a look and enjoy - any feedback is appreciated.
    Thanks
    JON
    PS - more routes to follow.
    http://bikerides.dsracing.me.uk

    Tags:

  2. 92jon wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am new to this excellebt forum - Hello!

    Jolly good.

    > Have a look at my website - it looks at safe bike rides in the Greater
    > Manchester Area (England).
    > Its only my first go at website design - so please bear with me.

    Sounds better all the time.

    > Have a look and enjoy - any feedback is appreciated.

    It might not.

  3. Not Responding wrote:
    > 92jon wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I am new to this excellebt forum - Hello!

    > Jolly good.
    >
    >> Have a look at my website - it looks at safe bike rides in the Greater
    >> Manchester Area (England).
    >> Its only my first go at website design - so please bear with me.

    > Sounds better all the time.
    >
    >> Have a look and enjoy - any feedback is appreciated.

    > It might not.
    >
    >> Thanks
    >> JON
    >> PS - more routes to follow.
    >> _http://bikerides.dsracing.me.uk (\"http://bikerides.dsracing.me.uk\")
    >> _

    Hmm. Then again it seems genuine enough. Apologies if I snapped but I
    get a bit tired of first posts that ask that we all visit a website.

  4. 92jon

    92jon New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2004
    Hi,
    Apologies - I am just looking to share and buildup information about bike rides in my local area.
    I enjoying cycling - its fun (and a good way to get fitter), I also enjoying finding the hidden delights that are around the urban sprawl!

    Hopefully the site will get bigger and I will get information about other (unknown routes to me), so they can be documented and shared.

    Thanks JON

  5. 92jon wrote:

    > Have a look at my website...
    > Its only my first go at website design - so please bear with me.

    is there supposed to be more than two pictures, a paragraph of text and
    mailto link? That's all that renders in my browser

    best wishes
    james

  6. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:08:43 +1100, 92jon
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am new to this excellebt forum - Hello!

    You're welcome. Hello.

    >Have a look at my website - it looks at safe bike rides in the Greater
    >Manchester Area (England).
    >Its only my first go at website design - so please bear with me.
    >Have a look and enjoy - any feedback is appreciated.

    The Fallowfield Loop page is fine but the text on first page
    <URL:http://bikerides.dsracing.me.uk> is a little large. Just IMO, of
    course.

    Having said that, my first attempt at designing a web page was
    extremely nasty and should have been put down at birth, if not sooner.
    BTW, I use the word designing extremely loosely.

    Regards
    James

  7. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    92jon <[email protected]> of cyclingforums.com
    wrote:
    >Apologies - I am just looking to share and buildup information about
    >bike rides in my local area.
    >I enjoying cycling - its fun (and a good way to get fitter), I also
    >enjoying finding the hidden delights that are around the urban sprawl!
    >
    >Hopefully the site will get bigger and I will get information about
    >other (unknown routes to me), so they can be documented and shared.
    >
    >Thanks JON

    Hi Jon

    I ride the Wilmslow Road to Chorlton bit of the Fallowfield loop often.
    Your website was very interesting, told me a lot of things I didn't know,
    thank you.

    You say that your aim is to share information about bike rides. Your
    descriptions are strong on history, but could do with some additional
    material to help riders find the route. A sketch map would be really
    useful.

    Your description of the ride starts at Debdale Park, which you describe as
    near Fallowfield. I know Fallowfield very well, having lived 3 miles away
    for all my adult life, but I don't know where Debdale Park is. Your ride
    starts not far from Hyde Road, so the park must be in some other district.

    You and I know that the path disappears at Sainsburys where an apartment
    block has been built over it on the other side of Wilmslow Road, but it
    starts again a few yards after the block. Riders who aren't familiar with
    the area need to be told to cross Wilmslow Road at the traffic lights, ride
    down the side road beside the Sherwood and pick the path up again.

    It would be helpful if the book references gave the ISBNs.

    Finally why not put your website in your signature? It will appear on all
    your posts and you get advertising in a way that you don't need to apologise
    for.
    --
    What is irritating about love is that it is a crime
    that requires an accomplice. - Charles Baudelaire

  8. 92jon

    92jon New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2004
    Hi Steph -

    Thanks for your feedback - I will work on a better system for other bikers to follow my route.
    I am not sure about copywrite for maps on the web. So I might take a reference from the Manchester A to Z or do a map drawing.
    Yes - you are also right about Debdale park - this park is just off Hyde road in Gorton. You are also right about the part through Fallowfield. Again this needs adding to the site.
    Luckily I have some time off round Xmas to work on this.
    Happy cycling

    Thanks again
    JON
    PS - more information about the Abbey Hey end of the Loop to be added very soon.

  9. > Have a look at my website - it looks at safe bike rides in the Greater
    > Manchester Area (England).

    Thanks for that - have always wondered about the history of that line and
    where it went (lived near it for three years and still not cycled it).

    A mention of how long the route would take to cycle and how far it is might
    be useful. Maps would be good, but probably illegal. A (very) rough
    sketchmap would be helpful but might also look a little messy!

    A good first site - it works! Let us know when you've got more rides up.

    Mark.

  10. Steph Peters

    wrote:
    >I am not sure about copywrite for maps on the web. So I might take a
    >reference from the Manchester A to Z or do a map drawing.

    That's why I deliberately suggested a drawing. I doubt that you will find a
    map that does justice to the old railway line anyway - the map needs to be
    from the point of view of someone on the track, showing bridges over it,
    entry points and so on.

    >Luckily I have some time off round Xmas to work on this.

    Please come back and tell us when you have added to it.
    --
    No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
    Stanislaus Lezczynski
    Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]lid
    Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm>

  11. 92jon

    92jon New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2004
    Hi,

    Thanks for your feedback.
    I have now added a basic map for your viewing. I am also planning more pictures of the entrance / exit points and details about the milage.

    Have a look.

    Thanks

    JON

    http://www.bikerides.dsracing.me.uk/

  12. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Jan Wysocki wrote:

    > Off Topic:
    > BTW, I'm not a railway enthusiast and don't know what a "1500dc

    Catenary"
    > is. I do know that a catenary is the curve formed by a rope or chain

    That's almost exactly what it is in railway terms; the overhead
    electric wires. The 1500v dc ones between Sheffield and Manchester were
    almost unique,apart from a section in East London/Essex the rest of the
    UK used the later 25kv ac system for overhead lines since the 60's.
    This uniqueness was partly the cause of the line's undeserved demise in
    1981.

  13. Jan Wysocki

    Jan Wysocki Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, 92jon wrote:
    [snip]

    > http://www.bikerides.dsracing.me.uk/

    Welcome to urc.
    Thanks for the website in the .sig. I like your site (and Manchester
    although I live far away.)
    To reciprocate, could you put a reference to uk.rec.cycling
    in the bike links? Too many people think that the Internet only
    brings you the World Wide Web and email.

    Off Topic:
    BTW, I'm not a railway enthusiast and don't know what a "1500dc Catenary"
    is. I do know that a catenary is the curve formed by a rope or chain
    hung loosely with the ends at the same height and is the curve used for
    building 'modern' brick arches.o

    --
    Jan

  14. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:42:45 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    > is there supposed to be more than two pictures, a paragraph of text and
    > mailto link? That's all that renders in my browser

    He's used Flash for the links. Gaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

    92jon, don't. Just don't, OK?

    Mike

  15. 92jon

    92jon New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2004
    Hi Jan-
    Could you supply me with more information about your link request (below). I will glady add a link for your to my site.
    Many Thanks
    JON

    "To reciprocate, could you put a reference to uk.rec.cycling
    in the bike links? Too many people think that the Internet only
    brings you the World Wide Web and email."

  16. In news:[email protected],
    92jon <[email protected]> typed:
    > Hi Jan-
    > Could you supply me with more information about your link request
    > (below). I will glady add a link for your to my site.
    > Many Thanks
    > JON
    >

    > "To reciprocate, could you put a reference to uk.rec.cycling
    > in the bike links? Too many people think that the Internet only
    > brings you the World Wide Web and email."

    uk.rec.cycling is where you're posting these updates about your (very
    detailed and a real nostalgia trip for me, who remembers spending the odd
    sunny afternoon walking around the Fallowfield loop near Levenshulme station
    when I was a student before Sainsbury's was put there) website.

    Cyclingforums.com is just a way of viewing uk.rec.cycling, which has existed
    since before the web, although they don't make the fact that they're not
    running it as prominent as many think they should.
    uk.rec.cyling is a usenet group. See
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t74445.html to see what usenet groups are.

    The link would be <a href="news://uk.rec.cycling">uk.rec.cycling</a> . The
    link won't work if you put http:// in front of it. As it's fairly likely
    that the user won't have a newsreader configured, it may also be helpful to
    put additional links in brackets to
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.rec.cycling and
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/f171-uk.rec.cycling.html .

    Gah. I keep meaning to actually only contribute posts about cycling when I
    post, and I don't seem to have managed it yet. Went out on my bike today for
    the first time in two months (I broke my wrist). Just 500m down the road,
    but it felt nice. My wrist isn't happy changing gear yet, but apart from
    that it's OK. My dad used the bike once or twice when I couldn't, it felt as
    if my knees were going to fall apart when I was riding. Apparently my legs
    are much longer than his. Given that I'm in my late twenties and that wasn't
    the case a few years ago, it's a bit unsettling.

    Anyway, it was also the first time I rode my bike since my 7 speed hub gear
    was replaced and it seemed really smooth. I'm not entirely sure what went
    wrong before (the LBS did all the work), but it seems it was mainly a
    problem with the cones but it needed a part on special order which would
    take 6 months so it was easier just to put a new hub body in, which I think
    is what was done. Looking forward to another go.

    Hopefully I'll be up and posting about my cycling life again soon.

  17. Jan Wysocki

    Jan Wysocki Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, 92jon wrote:

    > Hi Jan-
    > Could you supply me with more information about your link request
    > (below). I will glady add a link for your to my site.
    > Many Thanks
    > JON
    >

    > "To reciprocate, could you put a reference to uk.rec.cycling
    > in the bike links? Too many people think that the Internet only
    > brings you the World Wide Web and email."

    Jon, I mean a reference to this newsgroup!

    --
    Jan

  18. 92jon

    92jon New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2004
    Hi,
    I will add the link to this site once my webmaster is back from his holidays.
    I have been out on my bike getting some more pictures of the route - specifically looking at the ways on and off. Hopefully this will enhance the map.

    Thanks
    JON