Cycling Shoes?

IndyRider

Aug 13, 2005
I am a rider looking to get involved in racing within the next year. Do you have any suggestions for me, as far as what type of cycling shoes I should buy? I have Look pedals if this makes any difference. Thanks for your time.

Nick

Best thing is go to some local stores and try some on. Just make sure you get a good stiff sole. Lot's of guys I ride with like Sidi, but personaly I find them too narrow. Shimano also has some good ones. Most of the major brands will be compatible with Look.
I would avoid the internet for buying shoes, you might save a few bucks but shoes are something you should really try before buying.

You do need to try them on

I got some carbon sole Nikes and they are great for me but I have friends that have tried them and hate them

There's a thread on road versus mtb shoes on here somewhere... I'm a roadie and use (very stiff) shimano mtb shoes. I like being able to walk in them. I used to wear real road shoes, but I always seemed to turn my ancle every once in a while. I don't see a performance benefit to road shoes and certainly not one that outweighs the trouble walking inherent with road shoes. That's just me though. All the guys I ride with wear road shoes, but I can smoke most of them so who cares.

jeo said:
There's a thread on road versus mtb shoes on here somewhere... I'm a roadie and use (very stiff) shimano mtb shoes. I like being able to walk in them. I used to wear real road shoes, but I always seemed to turn my ancle every once in a while. I don't see a performance benefit to road shoes and certainly not one that outweighs the trouble walking inherent with road shoes. That's just me though. All the guys I ride with wear road shoes, but I can smoke most of them so who cares.
I also wear mtb shoes on my road bike. I have a pair of Shimano lace up shoes which are very comfortable and easy to walk in. I have a pair of road shoes (I've had them for years) but I've almost killed myself walking in them a couple times. Polished stone floors and cycling shoes do not mix (I used to commute wearing those shoes). I don't race so I don't really care if I'm losing a miniscule amount of power due to my shoes. I'd rather be comfortable and be able to walk in them if needed.

Try before buying. Order from online after trying if needed.

IndyRider said:
I am a rider looking to get involved in racing within the next year. Do you have any suggestions for me, as far as what type of cycling shoes I should buy? I have Look pedals if this makes any difference. Thanks for your time.

Nick

I used Speedplay Frogs on my mtn and road bikes to avoid buying two pairs of shoes. I recently bought road shoes and Zero pedals...WOW. there is alot of float in most mtn pedal systems, and the reduced float in road pedals makes a BIG difference IMO. Just food for thought. Nashbar has Sidi Lazer road shoes for $129. That's a pretty good price for Sidi's and they feel great to me. Any reputable mail order stores will let you return the shoes if they don't fit right as long as you haven't ridden them.

domaindomain said:
You do need to try them on

I got some carbon sole Nikes and they are great for me but I have friends that have tried them and hate them
i got some nike's with the carbon sole... got a good deal on them. my friend hated the shimano's because of the 'stupid' hole that was in the middle where ur toes were. just go to the local shops and find something u like and then hit up ebay and the internet for the best deal... im thinking about hitting up some sidi's, just need to find a place that has them in stock