Cycling shorts help!!

peterlip said:
THE most expensive? I have friends whose yearly golf membership is more than the cost of my bike. I wouldn't mind a new bike every 12 months.
Looking at it another way, every time I ride to work, it's saving me almost $10 in petrol.
By the way, I wear bibs too. No cream.
alright alright...i get it assos is REALLY GOOD! But, being that I am a professional deadbeat (without a job) i need shorts/bibs that will offer me the BIGGEST bang for my buck. I looked on the assos website...(HOLY ****! $169)...hell no. Are there any brands that aren't super expensive, but still gives my good comfort and package multiplier. I have the nike cycling shorts (2005 disco). I need something better than that and with a reasonable price! oh yeah...by the way...golf isn't more expensive because all you need are clubs and golf balls, and paintball isn't a sport...it's a VERY fun activity

Nas_kaj said:
I need help in picking cycling shorts with maximum comfort, and I need it to make my package look bigger! Any ideas?

if i were u id get assos fs 2 bib-shorts which are the top of the range, ive tried many shorts in the past and nothing comes close to these, they are expensive for shorts indeed but all the money id spent trying to find the most comfy shorts has surpassed the amount i paid for the assos, once u try these shorts u never go back to anything less, if i wrote my shorts off in some sort of crash today id buy the same shorts tommorrow...no doubt, it also takes away any chaffing and friction marks left by other shorts due to the amazing technology of the way the chamois works, and the most important thing is, or maybe its just me imaganing but they actually make your crotch look bigger and the way the shorts seems are embroided there is like a sort of arrow pointing towards your crotch area as if to say look here!

I have been hearing A LOT about Assos. Thanks for the additional help!

kleinmarin said:
if i were u id get assos fs 2 bib-shorts which are the top of the range, ive tried many shorts in the past and nothing comes close to these, they are expensive for shorts indeed but all the money id spent trying to find the most comfy shorts has surpassed the amount i paid for the assos, once u try these shorts u never go back to anything less, if i wrote my shorts off in some sort of crash today id buy the same shorts tommorrow...no doubt, it also takes away any chaffing and friction marks left by other shorts due to the amazing technology of the way the chamois works, and the most important thing is, or maybe its just me imaganing but they actually make your crotch look bigger and the way the shorts seems are embroided there is like a sort of arrow pointing towards your crotch area as if to say look here!

Yes, but cycling all you need is a helmet and a $300 bike. To be serious about golf you need the cart, a really good set of clubs ($1500+), membership, balls, shoes, gloves, etc, etc the list goes on. Just like cycling, to be serious you need to have a basic level of knicks, bike, helmet, etc.etc

I have heard Assos is excellent, but price turned me off. I am a fan of 2XU, Pearl Izumi, and some Aussie brands. Santini gel knicks aren't bad either.

While the Assos are very good, it also depends on your bum and the amount/type of riding you are doing.

Do get a bib short, and get the best you can afford. It is not necessary to spend 180$ or so on a pair of bib shorts to ride comfortably. I am partial to Castelli and Campagnolo (mid-range lines for both, not the top-end stuff) and it is fine for me.

Hubby bought a pair of Nalini bibs from probikekit a few weeks ago for GBP20 (dunno what that translates to in USD). He is very happy with them, and finds the chamois quite comfortable.

performance elite bibs all the way. they ride as nice as bibs costing 4x the money. now, if i could only figure a way to fight the dreaded ice-pecker. (you know, when you leave in the morning, and get back from your ride and realize that your pecker is a chilly 22 degrees from the cold air hitting it. what do you do to stop that?)

Well, for hunters, there are handwarmers. They can be used for more than just warming hands. Plus, it increases package size (at least visually).

snaps10 said:
performance elite bibs all the way. they ride as nice as bibs costing 4x the money. now, if i could only figure a way to fight the dreaded ice-pecker. (you know, when you leave in the morning, and get back from your ride and realize that your pecker is a chilly 22 degrees from the cold air hitting it. what do you do to stop that?)

the only problem i have with bibs is that the straps rub my nipples raw. so i have to put band-aids on them for any ride over 30 miles.

i'd like a pair of the assos but am worried about the fit since i've heard the sizes are vastly different than PI.

cheapie said:
the only problem i have with bibs is that the straps rub my nipples raw. so i have to put band-aids on them for any ride over 30 miles.

i'd like a pair of the assos but am worried about the fit since i've heard the sizes are vastly different than PI.
Second both points... first, has anyone tried chamois cream (or something similar) on their nips? This sounds really dumb, I know... but I did a century last weekend and got major chafe-chest from the bib straps!

Then, I usually wear PI bibs... but have been thinking about splurging on some Assos ones. Are the sizes equivalent?

I agree that bibs vs shorts is an age old debate, and it is a matter of preference. With that being said, here's my 2 cents. I favor bibs as they seem to stay up better and in general have a better cool factor. The one scenario where they become a pain is on long, multi-day rides. I do RABGRAI, an annual 6 day ride accross Iowa, and when nature calls (of the #2 variety), you are forced to take off the jersey, HR chest stap, and pull the bibs down all within the glorious confines of a port-a-potty. I still would rather deal with bibs even in this situation. If it's #1 then you can pull the leg up, or the waist down and get it done.

As far as pads/chamois go, don't assume that a big cushy feeling pad is superior. Again it is a matter of preference, but to me the cushy chamois feel like a load in your pants. I have to reposition on the saddle repeatedly to make it feel right. Some of my favorite bibs have a very unimpressive looking pad.

I also use chamois cream. I like Assos (be warned it warms things up too). Put it in the groin crease between the leg and goods. Lubes, antibacterial, and supposedly causes less chamois wear.

was7g said:
Second both points... first, has anyone tried chamois cream (or something similar) on their nips? This sounds really dumb, I know... but I did a century last weekend and got major chafe-chest from the bib straps!
That depends on the design of the bibs. One design I hate is when the straps start too close to each other in the front and do not flare out wide enough at the shoulders so that straps cross the nipples. I won't buy bibs that do that. All of mine have the straps on the outside of my pects with my nipples in the area between, so I have never had a problem with nipple chafing.

The other design I hate is when a manufacturer decides they can turn a regular short into a bib (and charge more money) by just sewing on an upper strap section. That doesn't give you one of the benefits of a bib, which is the unrestricted middle section.