Cycling vacations (US Southwest)

bartsie

Jun 20, 2011
Hello

I'd like to go and ride around the canyons or Monument Valley or thereabouts. I can find several operators via Google (and the back pages of Bicycling). However I haven't found any un-sponsored reviews, impressions, comparisons etc.

For example, how does Trek Travel compare to Bicycle Adventures?

Have you gone on a holiday like that and if so could you share your impressions, ideas etc?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by bartsie .

For example, how does Trek Travel compare to Bicycle Adventures?

Have you gone on a holiday like that and if so could you share your impressions, ideas etc?

Thanks!
from a brief visit into their websites, it seems that Trek travel would attract more competitive conscious clients since they are tour partners with big professional races and teams,

Bicycle adventures would be more for cyclotourist riders,

anyway both look great but i understand your concern about having first hand answers about them. If this helps, my sister went on a similar cycling tour and she had a great time, even without any extensive riding experience,

Thanks! There's also a bit of a price difference.
Trek seems to be on the fancy side, for example some of their French tours include a cooking lesson with a Michelin-starred chef, vineyard visits - pas mal (not bad)! Although none of that seems to apply to southern Utah but the price is still on the higher side.

Anyway I hope it will all be great.

bartsie, suggest you consider going on your own rather than with a fancy tour company. Rental cars are reasonable in the US. You can drive, stay in one location for a day or a week, and enjoy area rides without having to worry about moving your gear with you. Hotel/motel or rental-condo's are available most everywhere. A rental condo is ideal for a week or more, as you'll have a kitchen.

Several years ago we did a two-week trip staying in Santa Fe and Taos NM and Colorado. The climbs in the high mountains are miles long, but not all that steep, typically around 5%, so with the right gearing they are enjoyable. You can stay near the ski resorts in summer, ride bike paths, 8-10K ft or higher mountain summits, plus some crazy downhill mtn biking (via chair lifts up) and some great hiking too.

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

bartsie, suggest you consider going on your own rather than with a fancy tour company.
I went to Vermont last summer on my own - I'm based in Boston so used my own car/bike, except at Killington which has a mtn bike+lift deal. Further afield though I'd have to find a road bike to hire and either a car rack or make sure the rental is a wagon/hatchback... seems a bit of a hassle.

I agree though it's great to go where you want, not follow other people's schedule etc.