Only "mainly"...? If it's muscular, probably easiest to just stop straining them: get a bike which doesn't force you into a crouch. Either something very upright, or a recumbent. A recumbent with a seat that fits you well supports your back along the whole length which is often (NB, not /always/) just the thing.
But that "mainly" bit suggests you're not entirely sure. Getting some more help with diagnosis is probably a Cunning Plan, though you could give a recumbent a try in the meantime and see if it helps. Most dealers have demo bikes and it shouldn't be too hard to arrange a good size trip.
Pete. -- Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:05:06 GMT, Glm <[email hidden]> wrote (more or less):
Quoted message said:
David Barnes said:
"Vivian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Vivian
I suggest you find a good physio. I had a lower back problem in October last year which turned out to be a disc problem. The key to my recovery has been improvement of posture while sitting, plenty of walking and Pilates exercises aimed at improving my core strength. I was off the bike for a long while but after gaining a basic level of fitness via the above my physio suggested swimming and cycling to further improve my fitness. I found swimming aggravated my back but cycling was great. I have been cycling again for approx 3 months and find that as long as I keep up the other exercises my back is pretty good now. Not yet 100% but getting there.
I think originally I did not take the problem seriously enough and made it worse by returning to work too quickly so please seek professional help sooner rather than later.
Hope this helps
Ditto. Back problems are so common that many GPs et al. are quite dismissive of first-time sufferers (largely, in my experience, because they don't really know what to do).
Agreed, to the extent of not having any advice on exercises for the back, even for when the problem is muscular (lumbago).
Quoted message said:
Agree with David that professional advice should be sought, although I'd start with an ortho rather than a physio.
So, my question is, has any of you had any lower back problems. Is cycling really bad for it?
The problem with cycling is that all involved (medical/cycling experts) know of only one way to pedal, the natural way using direct downward pedal pressure for maximum power application. That is the root cause of all cycling's lower back problems and by trying to solve the lower back pain mystery while still using that technique is like trying to dig your way out of a hole. Because with this method all pedalling resistance is hinged in the lower back area, with the lower back also expected to support most of the upper bodyweight. The result is, as proved by Israeli researchers, continuous lower back strain, which some faulty backs cannot cope with.
With linear pedalling, all pedalling resistance is supplied by the hips and arms while all upper bodyweight is supported by the technique of the working arms. The result is a strain free lower back which benefits from the pedalling and the higher the gear used, the more beneficial its effect on the lower back. Linear pedalling, in which direct downward pedal pressure is never used, was the technique used by Anquetil in all his TT successes and can be seen on his video, "The Mysterious Cycling Champion". High gears need not be a cause of back pain, if they are, they are simply magnifying and demonstrating the already existing faults in the pedalling technique that you are using.
I got a bit of a lower back problem. It got quite bad this week - I could barely walk-, so I'm off the bike for 2 weeks. I miss it, but looking at the bright side, at least I can listen to my music in the tube on my way to work! ;-)
So, my question is, has any of you had any lower back problems. Is cycling really bad for it? Am supposed to go on this Trailblazing trip in 2 weeks time, and I'm worried that I might have to canel it. When I asked my accupunturist (spell?) whether I should go ahead with it or not she told me "I don't know what to say", which I translated into "Cancel it"!! I obviously don't want to give up cycling.
Does it go away?
Vivian ------- "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school". No Surrender
Hi Vivian,
I'm not really qualified to answer this question - I have hurt my back before when I was a removals man, but never had anything that actually required medical treatment. But there's an interesting article here from Rivendell bikes(gorgeous American road bikes):