Cyclists are Victims of the Law of the Jungle

In article <[email protected]>,
Arif Khokar <[email protected]> wrote:
>Matthew Russotto wrote:
>
>> In the meantime, all those drivers stuck behind you are feeling _real
>> good_ about the situation. They see you could move a little to the
>> right and they could get through, but you insist on hogging the road
>> and slowing everyone down to your speed. Yep, it's bicyclist MFFY.

>If I had to choose between breaking my arm or acting like a MFFY cyclist
>in the view of some drivers who view the center line as sacrosanct, then
>I'll choose the latter.

Nobody's breaking your arm. You're just being MFFY.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

>It's a joy to read someone with such a flexible and open mind,
>Matthew. You are as good at making room for other people's ideas as
>you are at making room for other road users.

I'm not the one riding a slow narrow vehicle down the road in such a
manner as to prevent other road users from using the rest of the width
of the lane to get by.

In article <[email protected]>,
Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:

>I don't know why I bother, but what the heck:
>
>Ivan Illich (Vienna, September 4, 1926 - Bremen, December 2, 2002),
>polymath, polemicist, was an example of a true free thinker.

An obvious fan page.

Matthew Russotto wrote:

> Being able to carry it doesn't make it more maneuverable when you're
> riding it.

You are grasping here. Bicycles are the most maneuverable vehicles.

>>but the law treats bicycles equally (at least here in NC).

> Yet bicyclists insist on being more equal than others.

So do by wanting their own special lane. I disagree with them.
Most motorists otoh want bicyclists to be sub equal.

Wayne

Matthew Russotto wrote:

>>Except that, as pointed out, they can't pass safely wherever the
>>cyclist is - there isn't room.

> There is room, or there would be if the cyclist wasn't blocking the lane.
>

>>So riding too close to the kerb is
>>merely encouraging them to try an unsafe manoeuvre.

> The maneuver woud be safe if the cyclist wasn't blocking the lane.

You are taking the wrong approach. If the motorists were driving narrow
motor vehicles, like scooters, then they could pass a bicyclist using
the bicyclist's lane. However, most motorists choose to drive wide dual
track vehicles, negating their ability to pass.

But I have no problems passing bicycle drivers when I drive my car, so I
assume you and other motorists are simply incompetent in you inability
to pass.

Wayne

[email protected] (Matthew Russotto) writes:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>It's a joy to read someone with such a flexible and open mind,
>>Matthew. You are as good at making room for other people's ideas as
>>you are at making room for other road users.

> I'm not the one riding a slow narrow vehicle down the road in such a
> manner as to prevent other road users from using the rest of the
> width of the lane to get by.

As I was saying...

"Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Matthew Russotto wrote:
>

> >>Except that, as pointed out, they can't pass safely wherever the
> >>cyclist is - there isn't room.

> > There is room, or there would be if the cyclist wasn't blocking the

lane.

> >>So riding too close to the kerb is
> >>merely encouraging them to try an unsafe manoeuvre.

> > The maneuver woud be safe if the cyclist wasn't blocking the lane.

> You are taking the wrong approach. If the motorists were driving narrow
> motor vehicles, like scooters, then they could pass a bicyclist using
> the bicyclist's lane. However, most motorists choose to drive wide dual
> track vehicles, negating their ability to pass.
>
> But I have no problems passing bicycle drivers when I drive my car, so I
> assume you and other motorists are simply incompetent in you inability
> to pass.

Hmm... incompetent you say?

Okay, so on one side of the median, there are two lanes and a bike lane--the
bike lane has a two-across pack of bikers. All traffic is stopped at a red
light.

Now, the light turns green... maybe the two lead cars in the right lane can
get past the bike pack, but afterwards, there's no way the right lane
drivers can get past the bike pack, which is spilling over into the right
lane, without either brush-passing the cars in the left lane, or
brush-passing the bikes in the right lane.

Remember, though you want space when vehicles pass! And brush passing the
cars is just asking for a collision. So are those drivers still incompentent
because it takes what seems to be forever for the pack of bikes to get up to
speed, and they they still won't ride single file in the bike lane??? In
fact, the drivers in the right lane all need to lean on their horns until
the bikes go single file, or dismount and pull off the road completely. Or,
they should just brush-pass the bikes, and the bikes just have to deal with
it.

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
> "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>You are taking the wrong approach. If the motorists were driving narrow
>>motor vehicles, like scooters, then they could pass a bicyclist using
>>the bicyclist's lane. However, most motorists choose to drive wide dual
>>track vehicles, negating their ability to pass.
>>
>>But I have no problems passing bicycle drivers when I drive my car, so I
>>assume you and other motorists are simply incompetent in you inability
>>to pass.
>>

> Hmm... incompetent you say?
>
> Okay, so on one side of the median, there are two lanes and a bike lane--the
> bike lane has a two-across pack of bikers. All traffic is stopped at a red
> light.
>
> Now, the light turns green... maybe the two lead cars in the right lane can
> get past the bike pack, but afterwards, there's no way the right lane
> drivers can get past the bike pack, which is spilling over into the right
> lane, without either brush-passing the cars in the left lane, or
> brush-passing the bikes in the right lane.
>
> Remember, though you want space when vehicles pass! And brush passing the
> cars is just asking for a collision. So are those drivers still incompentent
> because it takes what seems to be forever for the pack of bikes to get up to
> speed, and they they still won't ride single file in the bike lane??? In
> fact, the drivers in the right lane all need to lean on their horns until
> the bikes go single file, or dismount and pull off the road completely. Or,
> they should just brush-pass the bikes, and the bikes just have to deal with
> it.

The bicyclists are riding in a pack because it's social. Riding single
file in their crummy bike lane is a motorist construct and defeats the
social purpose of a group ride. (I hate bike lanes except on freeway
design roads.)

The motorists should pull into the left lane to pass, just like they
would do if there was a 15 mph farm tractor using the right lane.

Think of it like congestion. Lots of times motorists are delayed because
there are too many motorists. However, sometimes there are too many
bicyclists for the road's capacity, like when there is a large group. In
the case you describe the left lane is available for overtaking, unless
there are too many motorists in it.

Wayne

In article <[email protected]>,
Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote:
>Matthew Russotto wrote:
>

>>>Except that, as pointed out, they can't pass safely wherever the
>>>cyclist is - there isn't room.

>> There is room, or there would be if the cyclist wasn't blocking the lane.
>>

>>>So riding too close to the kerb is
>>>merely encouraging them to try an unsafe manoeuvre.

>> The maneuver woud be safe if the cyclist wasn't blocking the lane.

>You are taking the wrong approach. If the motorists were driving narrow
>motor vehicles, like scooters, then they could pass a bicyclist using
>the bicyclist's lane. However, most motorists choose to drive wide dual
>track vehicles, negating their ability to pass.

They'd have plenty of ability to pass if the bicyclist didn't choose
to block the lane.

>But I have no problems passing bicycle drivers when I drive my car, so I
>assume you and other motorists are simply incompetent in you inability
>to pass.

Then either you drive as slow as you ride, you drive in areas with low
enough traffic to allow use of the opposite lane, or you've got a
secret bicyclist signal that lets the cyclist know to move over and
let you pass. I find the third choice rather unlikely.

In article <[email protected]>,
Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote:
>Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
>
>The bicyclists are riding in a pack because it's social.

It's a road; it's for transportation, not socializing.

>The motorists should pull into the left lane to pass, just like they
>would do if there was a 15 mph farm tractor using the right lane.

Sure. And then when they finally get an opportunity to pass (because
the left lane is full, mind you), they pull back into the right lane --
and at the next light the bicyclists filter through back in front of
them and make them do it all over again.

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." <[email protected]> writes:

> Okay, so on one side of the median, there are two lanes and a bike
> lane--the bike lane has a two-across pack of bikers. All traffic is
> stopped at a red light.
>
> Now, the light turns green... maybe the two lead cars in the right
> lane can get past the bike pack, but afterwards, there's no way the
> right lane drivers can get past the bike pack, which is spilling
> over into the right lane, without either brush-passing the cars in
> the left lane, or brush-passing the bikes in the right lane.

Which in my state would be an illegal maneuver by the driver, who is
legally required to allow three feet between the car and the
cyclist(s). The driver who brush-passes a cyclist can be ticketed for
failure to yield right of way.

It is exactly the same as passing a slower car ahead of you- you are
required to wait until you can pass safely. Now, you might be
irritated by the slower driver, but most drivers make a different
assumption. They assume that the slower driver also has a right to
use the road- but they assume the cyclist doesn't. This is incorrect
in every state in the US, with the exception of limited access
highways.

An illustrative example is this. About 5 years ago I was on a group
bike ride. There were about 15 of us, riding double file on the wide
shoulder of a road (Victoria just north of CR C in Roseville MN, for
those familiar with the area). A car ahead of us stopped to make a
left hand turn into the nursing home parking lot and was rear ended
almost 30 seconds later by a woman driving a large 4 door sedan. We
stopped to render any aid that might be needed and someone called 911
as there was a elderly woman in the passenger seat of the car that had
been rear-ended. The woman driving the second car got out and started
yelling at us for being "all over the road" and caysing the accident,
even though I, as the last rider in the line, could see that ever
rider was well onto the shoulder.

When the police arrived, she began making the same complaint. The
officer interrupted her and said, "ma'am, it doesn't matter. They can
take the whole lane if they want to. It's your responsibility to pay
attention to your driving and not to run into things." He got our
names as witnesses and sent us on our way, and ticketed the driver for
careless driving.

If you're a driver passing a slower vehicle, whether that vehicle is a
bicyclist, a car, a farm implement, whatever, it's your responsibility
to do so safely. It's not anyone else's responsibility. So stop
whining about it, wait until it's safe, pass and get on with your
life. Sheesh. That's what I do and I am much happier for it.

> Remember, though you want space when vehicles pass! And brush
> passing the cars is just asking for a collision. So are those
> drivers still incompentent because it takes what seems to be forever
> for the pack of bikes to get up to speed, and they they still won't
> ride single file in the bike lane??? In fact, the drivers in the
> right lane all need to lean on their horns until the bikes go single
> file, or dismount and pull off the road completely. Or, they should
> just brush-pass the bikes, and the bikes just have to deal with it.

The problem here is the impatience and self-entitlement of the drivers
in your scenario. "Incompetence" was the word that Wayne used, and
your scenario is an excellent demonstration of that.

As Wayne mentioned, I have no problem passing cyclists safely and
expeditiously. On a daily basis, when I'm driving my usual 50 or so
miles, I have problems with many drivers and few if any cyclists.
When I'm out driving, the cyclists are the least of my worries- it's
the morons in cars and SUVs that **** me off.

[email protected] (Matthew Russotto) writes:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
>>
>>The bicyclists are riding in a pack because it's social.

> It's a road; it's for transportation, not socializing.

Heil, mein kommandant! We stand corrected! ROTFL! Written like a
true antisocial driver, one to a car, all in a row.

>>The motorists should pull into the left lane to pass, just like they
>>would do if there was a 15 mph farm tractor using the right lane.

> Sure. And then when they finally get an opportunity to pass
> (because the left lane is full, mind you), they pull back into the
> right lane -- and at the next light the bicyclists filter through
> back in front of them and make them do it all over again.

Maybe you should ride a bike instead, if traffic patterns are that
slow in your area.

Matthew Russotto wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >Is the wrong answer. If the cyclist rides further out (in

accordance
> >with Effective Cycling recommendations) the drivers mainly get the
> >hint.

> No, they don't get the "hint". They get the fact that the bicyclist
> is actually obstructing the road. Then they get angry and when they
> get home they write letters to the editor about how bicyclists should
> be booted off the road, made to have licenses, or whatever. If the
> cyclist isn't riding so far out, they just pass and there's no
> issue... unless the bicyclist is offended by the violation of his

"space".

:) My, heaven forbid any drivers ever get angry at anybody!

In my experience, it takes only minimal driving skill to safely pass a
cyclist. I certainly never have trouble with this simple maneuver, and
when I'm cycling, only a tiny percentage of drivers ever seem to have
trouble.

Matthew, if you have trouble, it must be because your driving skills
are much worse than average. And if it bothers you this much, it must
be because you're overly high strung and self-important. Your repeated
rants merely broadcast your shortcomings.

Regarding angry motorists writing letters: Yes, I've seen a few of
those over the years. They were no more sensible than your posts, and
everybody I talked to (not just cyclists) recognized them for what they
were: Another yahoo spouting off about another negligible delay.

If you are delayed fifteen seconds by some bicyclist, the world won't
end. Sure, you may miss fifteen seconds of your favorite soap opera,
but don't worry: Marsha didn't really die in that house fire, and
Brent won't propose once he learns that Brianna is really the long lost
daughter of Oliver... or whatever. ;-)

So calm down. Chill. Try New Age music when you drive.

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:

> Now, the light turns green... maybe the two lead cars in the right

lane can
> get past the bike pack, but afterwards, there's no way the right lane
> drivers can get past the bike pack, which is spilling over into the

right
> lane, without either brush-passing the cars in the left lane, or
> brush-passing the bikes in the right lane.
>
> Remember, though you want space when vehicles pass! And brush passing

the
> cars is just asking for a collision. So are those drivers still

incompentent
> because it takes what seems to be forever for the pack of bikes to

get up to
> speed, and they they still won't ride single file in the bike lane???

In
> fact, the drivers in the right lane all need to lean on their horns

until
> the bikes go single file, or dismount and pull off the road

completely. Or,
> they should just brush-pass the bikes, and the bikes just have to

deal with
> it.

Seriously - is this really a big problem where you live?

In the past year, roughly how many minutes have you been delayed by
packs of cylcists? Before you answer, keep in mind that if they delay
you from getting to the next red light, that delay is effectively zero.

For myself, my annual driving delay due to cyclists is measured in
seconds, not minutes. Meanwhile, my annual delay due to other
motorists is measured in hours. You know - road zombies that don't
notice a light's turned green ten seconds ago; people waiting to turn
left until there are no oncoming cars within a mile; people driving 50
mph in the left lane of a 65 mph freeway; cars that refuse to take
their turn at a four-way stop, and instead just wave frantically trying
to get me to go first, and the like.

Hell, even when I'm biking, I'm delayed by drivers far more than
drivers are ever delayed by me.

I think you should complain about the bigger problems. If you could
get drivers to use their blasted turn signals, it would do more good
than anything you're complaining about here.

Matthew Russotto wrote:

> It's a road; it's for transportation, not socializing.

Do you point that out to all the road zombies with cell phones
plastered to their ears?

Matthew Russotto wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >But I have no problems passing bicycle drivers when I drive my car,

so I
> >assume you and other motorists are simply incompetent in you

inability
> >to pass.

> Then either you drive as slow as you ride, you drive in areas with

low
> enough traffic to allow use of the opposite lane, or you've got a
> secret bicyclist signal that lets the cyclist know to move over and
> let you pass. I find the third choice rather unlikely.

The third choice _is_ unlikely. But you left out the most likely
choice: he's simply better at driving than you are.

Competent drivers really have no problem with this.

Matthew Russotto wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >First, realize that bike lanes are substandard width lanes that
> >discriminate against bicycle drivers.

> Want a full-width lane? Pedal at 50mph or better.

Never want to be delayed by a cyclist? Ride a narrower vehicle.

It would probably make your body narrower, too. ;-)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:47:53 -0600 in rec.bicycles.misc, Tim
McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's a joy to read someone with such a flexible and open mind,
> Matthew. You are as good at making room for other people's ideas as
> you are at making room for other road users.

oh, just killfile the *******, and then don't reply to
crossposting trolls.

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On 17 Feb 2005 20:23:21 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Seriously - is this really a big problem where you live?
> >
> >In the past year, roughly how many minutes have you been delayed by
> >packs of cylcists?

> Ah, here we go. You're one of those jerks who thinks that it's OK to
> block traffic, double park, or break any number of other laws, as

long
> as the duration of the violation is "short."

Hmmm. Where, exactly, did I say that?

> Here's some news for you: "I'll only be a minute" is not listed as an
> exception to any statute.

Sorry, sir, but I do _not_ disobey statutes when I ride my bike. I
take the lane occasionally, when necessary, but the law allows me to do
that. Don't let your ignorance of the law twist your attitudes.

You scumbags are stealing time away from
> other people, a theft that can never be repaid.

Then get ranting about people who double park. Get ranting about
people who don't move when the light turns green. Rant about people
who drive slow while blocking the left lane. Rant about those whose
cars stick out into the travel lane while they're waiting to turn
(mostly) in the turn lane. Rant about the cell phone junkies. Rant
about people who can't figure out the simple rule for a 4-way stop
sign. Rant about people who won't change lanes to let someone merge
into traffic.

These common driving mistakes steal more time every day than all the
cyclists in the country do all year.

In other words, take your whining to the proper group.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

>Which in my state would be an illegal maneuver by the driver, who is
>legally required to allow three feet between the car and the
>cyclist(s). The driver who brush-passes a cyclist can be ticketed for
>failure to yield right of way.

Yep, bicyclists wanting to be "more equal than others". I don't give
other CARS three feet.