CycloComputers, anyone?

Ablang

Guest
I've only just recently thought about getting something like this, as
I've joined a website where we get to log our bike miles and stuff.

I was wondering if anyone out there has bought one of these devices?
Where's a good place to buy them (B&M or online), how much can one
expect to pay, what features to look for, and which models do you
recommend?

On May 19, 10:11 pm, Ablang <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've only just recently thought about getting something like this, as
> I've joined a website where we get to log our bike miles and stuff.
>
> I was wondering if anyone out there has bought one of these devices?
> Where's a good place to buy them (B&M or online), how much can one
> expect to pay, what features to look for, and which models do you
> recommend?

Cateye Micro Wireless:

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/281

FLBS, or REI, maybe? Performance is having a sale in Texas, maybe
elsewhere: if lowest cost is necessary, you might get a deal on ebay
or craigslist.

You can read about features on the linked-to site above.

Cadence (foot RPM) is also available, costs a chunk more.

Wireless is good because those wires have a way of getting disturbed,
plus some people might believe you went say, 61.2 MPH on your way
around the block, and they will fear you. --D-y

1. You use it for motivation on training rides. So, if having the
meter report out your average speed will incourage you to ride harder
the last 15 minutes of today's hour ride, spend the $5 more for a unit
that has that one up from bottom function.
1b. Personally, the extra $10-$15 for cadence was worth it after
counting pedal rotations against 15 seconds of elapsed time and
multiplying by 4.

I'm currently liking the single button of the Cateye Strada. Press
the face repeatedly to cycle through the 8 readingst, vs remembering
the buttons (of 4) on say, the Sigma Sport.

2. There are units you've never heard of but which are supported by a
strong distributor in another country. So some obscure units may not
be the junk you might assume. The cycling world is now so saturated
with on-bike and new price-competitive units, the majors have had to
resort to promoting $150 wireless "B" units to eek profits.