cyclocross tires on a road bike...

astroluc

Jun 20, 2005
...but not to go cyclocrossing!!

I live in an area where it is very wet, icy, and snowy in the Fall/Winter/Spring (with about 3 straight months of dry warm weather with no rain in between); as a result I rarely ride when the weather is **** because as we all know wet/ice/snow + no tread = bad... so my solution to this dillemma is to throw cyclocross tires on my roadbike (for use on the road only, I have to stress) for these less than ideal times.

It seems a solution so simple I am baffled I did'nt think of this before; but I want to ask your thoughts and what any pros/cons may be. Thanks.

It's unlikely that your brake calipers and fork crown have enough clearance to fit 'cross tires. Even if the tires do fit, they're going to get jammed as soon as they get mud on them.

artmichalek said:
It's unlikely that your brake calipers and fork crown have enough clearance to fit 'cross tires. Even if the tires do fit, they're going to get jammed as soon as they get mud on them.
damn... there is that much difference in size?? They look so close to road tires, but with tread... 700 X 30 sounds like it would fit, but my LBS doesn't have cyclocross tires in stock, so I can't get a "hands on" look at them.

Well, I plan on avoiding mud where possible, and $20 is okay to spend on an experiment...

I wanted to put bigger tires on my Cannondale R900 but 700X28's would rub against the rear calipers. So I used a die grinder and file to "clearance" it and make room. I didn't have to take off much and now the tires fit quite well.
I know some of you may wince at the thought, but the caliper still has plenty of metal on it and I sure can't get any flex.

i wouldn't do that to the frame, front brake, or fork however.

now, does anyone know of any decent road tires that actually have some significant tread on them if this whole cyclocross tire thing doesn't work; or do I just hang inside on a trainer (yawn) for the winter season??

astroluc said:
now, does anyone know of any decent road tires that actually have some significant tread on them if this whole cyclocross tire thing doesn't work; or do I just hang inside on a trainer (yawn) for the winter season??

Take a look at the Vredestein or Continental Touring tires. They both make full lines of touring tires with tread designed for all sorts of conditions, probably around 700 x 25 would do you nicely.

artmichalek said:
Yes you can do it. Check my friend brad last season. He just signed with Cref a week ago.http://

Sorry about the small pic. anyway the frame is a serrotta legend ti and the brakes are dura ace. It does work. Oh yeah he won the race. In the mud.

astroluc said:
Sounds like it's time to add a bike to the arsenal. An MTB would be well suited for the slush factor.

Remember, the one with the most bikes wins!

though your idea is sound; mountain bikes just do not appeal to me... I've even tried!! I have owned 2 Rockhoppers and sold both of them. Great bikes, yes, but just not my speed... I need to build a cyclocross bike :D