Damn, should a guy who can't hold a coffee cup steady be out on a bike?

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
Ok, I'm getting flack from people. I'm experiencing some pretty strong side effects from one of my prescription meds. The worst is tremor - to the point that I can't hold on to a cup or pen or line a key up in a lock. So, the fam is on my case about cycling. I am fine, IMHO, because I take the drug in the morning, and the effects have largely worn off by evening when I ride. I say I'm good to go as long as I feel good to go. My docs don't say either way, because they are still trying to figure out a plan to deal with it.

if your having doubts about your safety on the bike it might be wise to wait for the doc to clear up the side effects, if your just talking for the sake of afirmation you already know the answear.

IMO if i had trouble lining up a key with a lock i would not go out on a bike.

No real safety concerns by the time evening rolls around, but I wouldn't even think of riding in the morning until about 3-4 pm. I take i at 9 am as soon as I get to work so it doesn't impair my ability to drive. But, I really need to get in some serious training miles, the 100k charity ride I signed up for is 5 weeks away. I think they'll get it figured out soon. Dropping it cold turkey is not a possibility, it has to be withdrawn over several months. Had an appt yesterday and had 10 vials of blood drawn this morning for labs. I am taking the entire 4 days through Sunday off from all training, not just cycling but also my sessions with my PTs, giving myself a rest period.

i think i know what kind of medication you are talking about, have you tried taking them before going to sleep at night ? treat your training schedule like you treat your medication scheme, that means that you cannot drop training all together too fast, if you want to relax a little bit diminish your training to a couple of 30 to 60 minutes easy spin recovery-like rides,

vspa said:
i think i know what kind of medication you are talking about, have you tried taking them before going to sleep at night ? treat your training schedule like you treat your medication scheme, that means that you cannot drop training all together too fast, if you want to relax a little bit diminish your training to a couple of 30 to 60 minutes easy spin recovery-like rides,
There are actually quite a few medications from a number of different medication classes that can cause tremors.

I think you should check with your doctor(s). If they say no you can always swim... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Its fun to swim at the Y M C A!!!!!!!!!!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

"I say I'm good to go as long as I feel good to go."

And I say you are right.

Ride safely and have fun.

If your balance is ok,(no vertigo), and you feel good enough to ride then you could keep riding. I think you should try to keep both hands on the bars as much as possible though just in case you get a large tremor or spasm on one side. Only you can really judge if your healthy enough to ride.