danger - addictive gear alert

ProfTournesol

New Member
Aug 22, 2003
new Garmin GPS bike computer - colour maps, power measurement, even measures your speed on a bike!!
http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/edge-705605-pow.html#more

On Aug 30, 9:59 pm, ProfTournesol <ProfTournesol.2w4...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> new Garmin GPS bike computer - colour maps, power measurement, even
> measures your speed on a bike!!http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/edge-705605-pow.html#more

It doesn't actually measure power, but it can record power from a
suitable (ANT+Sport 2.4 GHz) power meter. It uses ANT+Sport as its
transmission protocol which is the same protocol as the current garmin
HRM strap and Saris (powertap) HRM strap. I think, but don't know for
sure, that the Polar CS600 uses ANT+Sport too, so you can use their
speed, cadence and power sensors if that's correct, but not the older
(S series, and cs100 & cs200) sensors.

This one also is interesting :

http://quarq.us/

and if you're curious about ANT+Sport :

http://quarq.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=39

Bleve said:
On Aug 30, 9:59 pm, ProfTournesol <ProfTournesol.2w4...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> new Garmin GPS bike computer - colour maps, power measurement, even
> measures your speed on a bike!!http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/edge-705605-pow.html#more

It doesn't actually measure power, but it can record power from a
suitable (ANT+Sport 2.4 GHz) power meter. It uses ANT+Sport as its
transmission protocol which is the same protocol as the current garmin
HRM strap and Saris (powertap) HRM strap. I think, but don't know for
sure, that the Polar CS600 uses ANT+Sport too, so you can use their
speed, cadence and power sensors if that's correct, but not the older
(S series, and cs100 & cs200) sensors.

This one also is interesting :

http://quarq.us/

and if you're curious about ANT+Sport :

http://quarq.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=39

on Gizmodo, it says that it can read from an SRM:)
http://www.gizmag.com/go/7911/

DJ wrote:

> Nokia has the 6110 model mobile phone with GPS street finder on it
> that with a $49 a month plan, you can get with no money down.....not
> a bad alternative maybe.

We've bought a couple of N95 Nokias for work recently. They have all that
**** plus lots of other gizmos that you're probably never going to use. Only
drawback is that they cost $1250.

Not for my use, I use a map.

Theo

DJ wrote:
> "ProfTournesol" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message news:p[email protected]...
>> new Garmin GPS bike computer - colour maps, power measurement, even
>> measures your speed on a bike!!
>> http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/edge-705605-pow.html#more
>>

>> --
>> ProfTournesol
>>

> Nokia has the 6110 model mobile phone with GPS street finder on it that with
> a $49 a month plan, you can get with no money down.....not a bad alternative
> maybe.
> DJ

I like the Virtual Race Partner feature on the 305. It's the most used
feature on my GPS. There's nothing harder than trying to break your PB.

Dorfus

scotty72 wrote:
> I wonder how much?
>
> Paul Yates Wrote:
>> "ProfTournesol" <[email protected]>
>> wrote
>> in message news:p[email protected]...
>>> new Garmin GPS bike computer - colour maps, power measurement, even
>>> measures your speed on a bike!!
>>> http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/edge-705605-pow.html#more
>>>

>>> --
>>> ProfTournesol
>>>

>> Hmm, I have been using an Edge 305 since January. Looks like it's
>> gonna be
>> retired for the fancy looking new unit!

Yes but does Garmin have Australian maps available for the wondrous
device? Might be a while before they get round to it. I saw the
website said Europe and USA units available - I wonder if this means
they only have maps for those areas at the moment.

--
Bob C

Bob C wrote:
> scotty72 wrote:
>> I wonder how much?
>>
>> Paul Yates Wrote:
>>> "ProfTournesol" <[email protected]>
>>> wrote
>>> in message news:p[email protected]...

>>> Hmm, I have been using an Edge 305 since January. Looks like it's
>>> gonna be
>>> retired for the fancy looking new unit!

> Yes but does Garmin have Australian maps available for the wondrous
> device? Might be a while before they get round to it. I saw the
> website said Europe and USA units available - I wonder if this means
> they only have maps for those areas at the moment.

There are road maps as well as topographic maps available.

Dorfus

Resound said:
"ProfTournesol" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:p[email protected]...

> new Garmin GPS bike computer - colour maps, power measurement, even
> measures your speed on a bike!!
> http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/edge-705605-pow.html#more
>

> --
> ProfTournesol

You just caused me to spend frivolously. Thank you :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...m=220144191298&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012
anyone want to buy a used Polar 720i? Selling to make room for a Garmin 705:)

On 2007-09-06, ProfTournesol (aka Bruce)
> Resound Wrote:
>> "ProfTournesol" <[email protected]>
>> wrote
>> in message news:p[email protected]...
>> >
>> > new Garmin GPS bike computer - colour maps, power measurement, even
>> > measures your speed on a bike!!
>> > http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/edge-705605-pow.html#more

>> You just caused me to spend frivolously. Thank you :)
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/225enx

> anyone want to buy a used Polar 720i? Selling to make room for a Garmin
> 705:)

$20? ;)

--
TimC
Just keep in mind that when you are using TRANSFER, you are not

On 2007-09-06, ProfTournesol (aka Bruce)
> Resound Wrote:
>> "ProfTournesol" <[email protected]>
>> wrote
>> in message news:p[email protected]...
>> >
>> > new Garmin GPS bike computer - colour maps, power measurement, even
>> > measures your speed on a bike!!
>> > http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/edge-705605-pow.html#more

>> You just caused me to spend frivolously. Thank you :)
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/225enx

> anyone want to buy a used Polar 720i? Selling to make room for a Garmin
> 705:)

$20? ;)

--
TimC
Just keep in mind that when you are using TRANSFER, you are not
programming, but hacking. All else follows logically from this
premise, Grasshopper. -- James Van Buskirk in comp.lang.fortran

I'll post when it goes on eBay