Debate in Westminster hall about Road Fatalities

x-no-archive:JNugent wrote:

> If you want to retain a post you have already read, you may need to
> "mark it as unread" using right-click. That's a disadvantage, but all
> programs have unique "features". There are ways of avoiding that, but
> they too have their drawbacks.

Yes, after a couple of days I'm now happily using Thunderbird and find
it noticably better than google.

>> I don't use OE because I like to access my emails when I am away, so
>> keep them on my email provider's server. I attempted to use it as a
>> newsreader, but it doesn't open on my pc.

> That's surprising. Perhaps the installation has become corrupt.

I can now open it, (had to change a default or something) and after it
was pointed out to me that I could keep copies on my email provider's
server, I thought it might be good to use it for email. Unfortunately it
is unable to access the email provider's outbound server. After a couple
of hours of trying to sort it, I have given up. It does seem, for a non
techie like myself, that it is quite difficult to get software in
general, and Microsoft's own in particular, to work with Vista HP.

I might give Linux a whirl in a few years time.

raisethe wrote:
> x-no-archive:JNugent wrote:

>>> I don't use OE because I like to access my emails when I am away, so
>>> keep them on my email provider's server. I attempted to use it as a
>>> newsreader, but it doesn't open on my pc.

>> That's surprising. Perhaps the installation has become corrupt.

> I can now open it, (had to change a default or something) and after it
> was pointed out to me that I could keep copies on my email provider's
> server, I thought it might be good to use it for email. Unfortunately
> it is unable to access the email provider's outbound server. After a
> couple of hours of trying to sort it, I have given up. It does seem,
> for a non techie like myself, that it is quite difficult to get
> software in general, and Microsoft's own in particular, to work with
> Vista HP.

For most users, set outbound email SMTP server to that of your ISP. It need
not be your email provider. For example, my ISP is Demon, outbound email
usually goes via their SMTP server, but my routine email is one of
btinternet, 2mm.org.uk and fleetwith.co.uk.

People in receipt of email from me would have to dig deep into the mail
headers to realise that I use Demon for outbound.

Hope this is of some help.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Nigel Cliffe wrote:

> For most users, set outbound email SMTP server to that of your ISP. It need
> not be your email provider.
>
> Hope this is of some help.

Yes, it certainly is. Worked immediately. Thank you Nigel.