Decal Removal

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Smith Roedel, Feb 26, 2003.

  1. Smith Roedel

    Smith Roedel Guest

    I have an Eddy Merckx ti bike, the decals have become scratched and I think the bike would look
    better with just it's ti skin. How do i remove the decals? Acetone maybe? Smith Roedel

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Smith Roedel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have an Eddy Merckx ti bike, the decals have become scratched and I think the bike would look
    >better with just it's ti skin. How do i remove the decals? Acetone maybe?

    You can use pretty much anything you want to take those off, my experience with the Merckx Ti AX
    decals is that they fall off whether you like it or not. Some drive-up car washes have a
    pressure-washer with enough zip to blast them off.

  3. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    "Smith Roedel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have an Eddy Merckx ti bike, the decals have become scratched and I
    think the
    > bike would look better with just it's ti skin. How do i remove the decals? Acetone maybe?
    > Smith Roedel

    The best thing I have found for removing decals from Ti is aerosol paint stripper. I use Klean-Strip
    brand that is available at most X-Marts or Home Depot, Menards type places. You just spray it on and
    after about 5 mins the decals almost fall off by themselves.

  4. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    "Smith Roedel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have an Eddy Merckx ti bike, the decals have become scratched and I
    think the
    > bike would look better with just it's ti skin. How do i remove the decals?

    Wife's hairdryer worked a treat at taking decals off a carbon frame and less chance of chemical
    damage - just get'em hot enough to peel

    You may have to negotiate its removal from the bathroom, even though your cause is just and your
    heart is pure

    best Andrew

  5. asahitoro

    asahitoro Guest

    In article <9N%[email protected]>, "Andrew Price"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You may have to negotiate its removal from the bathroom, even though your cause is just and your
    > heart is pure
    >
    > best Andrew

    Be a man. It's your castle. Just drag your bike into your bathroom. I just changed a tire on my
    daughter's bike in the living room the other day. My wife is just now taliking to me. YMMV,

    Scott

  6. Sec

    Sec Guest

    On 26 Feb 2003 04:16:17 GMT, [email protected] (Smith Roedel) wrote:

    >I have an Eddy Merckx ti bike, the decals have become scratched and I think the bike would look
    >better with just it's ti skin. How do i remove the decals? Acetone maybe?

    I wouldn't recommend acetone, but WD-40 does a decent job.

  7. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I always remove decals from frames and forks to make them less attractive to thieves. Rag with white
    spirit and fingernails works for me. peter

    "Smith Roedel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have an Eddy Merckx ti bike, the decals have become scratched and I
    think the
    > bike would look better with just it's ti skin. How do i remove the decals? Acetone maybe?
    > Smith Roedel

  8. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    peter wrote:

    > I always remove decals from frames and forks to make them less attractive to thieves. Rag with
    > white spirit and fingernails works for me. peter
    >
    > "Smith Roedel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have an Eddy Merckx ti bike, the decals have become scratched and I
    > think the
    > > bike would look better with just it's ti skin. How do i remove the decals? Acetone maybe? Smith
    > > Roedel

    I managed to remove the decals from my Marin with fingernails alone. They were fairly new decals,
    mind you. Did a final cleanup with a clean rag dampened with mineral spirits. Bernie

  9. Jim Brown

    Jim Brown Guest

    "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<9N%[email protected]>...
    > "Smith Roedel" <sac[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have an Eddy Merckx ti bike, the decals have become scratched and I
    > think the
    > > bike would look better with just it's ti skin. How do i remove the decals?
    >
    > Wife's hairdryer worked a treat at taking decals off a carbon frame and less chance of chemical
    > damage - just get'em hot enough to peel
    >
    > You may have to negotiate its removal from the bathroom, even though your cause is just and your
    > heart is pure
    >
    > best Andrew

    I agree with Andrew. Once they are hot they should just peel away.

    jb

  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Bianchi2 wrote:

    > and works best to remove adhesive residue?

    When I worked for the vinyl sign shop, we used wd40 or citrus cleaner(the non-abrasive kind). The
    citrus cleaner works better, but wd40 tends to be kinder to metal.