Deep Dish Vs Medium profile

Iron Man

Sep 19, 2005
Hi all

once again im asking you to share some knowledge on wheels. I Recently buckeled my Alexrims AT40 entry level wheels, i am looking to upgrade to a wheel that i can train on but also use as an aerodynamic front wheel in triathlons. (i have HED.3c's for races)
so....

1)have looked at the mavic Ksyriums and cosmics, Zipps, and campy eurus and some bontrager Race lites and X lites.
do you have any reccomendations??

2) is it true that the ultra light sets such as zipps and boras are not as durable due to their light weight construction?

3) does anyone out there train on a pair of deep dish wheels, what are they like?

thanks

Velocity Deep-Vs should do OK.

Thats what I'v got on mine, Sparticus 20 spoke for racing, 32 spoke triple cross for road training.

Iron Man said:
Hi all

once again im asking you to share some knowledge on wheels. I Recently buckeled my Alexrims AT40 entry level wheels, i am looking to upgrade to a wheel that i can train on but also use as an aerodynamic front wheel in triathlons. (i have HED.3c's for races)
so....

1)have looked at the mavic Ksyriums and cosmics, Zipps, and campy eurus and some bontrager Race lites and X lites.

2) is it true that the ultra light sets such as zipps and boras are not as durable due to their light weight construction?

3) does anyone out there train on a pair of deep dish wheels, what are they like?

thanks
My thoughts are that the priorities in training are durability, reliability, and ease of maintenance. No single wheel will be ideal as an aero race wheel and suitable training wheel. Do you really want to risk damaging a $500+ front race wheel every day?? Why worry about aero and low weight for training? The pros don't.

If you have HED3s already, why do you need another front race wheel?

Iron Man said:
Hi all

so....

thanks

guy´s got a bike at the LBS for upgrading and he´s got a pair of carbon three spoke wheels more suited to the track than the road and he said that they are hell in a side wind .

John M said:
If you have HED3s already, why do you need another front race wheel?
the tri spoke design on the front wheel is great on flat courses but when some hills become involved i find dragging the extra weight up the hill is not worth the speed i can generate on the flat.and there hell in a cross wind!

Iron Man said:
I ride the heck out of a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbones and have had no problems yet... very stiff and feel better to me sprinting than a set of Campy Nutrons.
Iron Man said:
I snapped a 303 RW in a race while sprinting after exiting a bumpy corner, do a search for Zipp 303 and you will find the thread. It could have been bad luck, but I prefer to have an aluminum rim since I buy my own wheels.
Iron Man said:
Like I said lately I have only ridden with the Carbones for training and racing. Some folks complain of crosswinds, but I have ridden in winds up to 50kph and not had any problem, although I would not want to take both hands off the bars (FWIW I am heavier at 190lbs which may help with stability)

Modern wheels are so good that you can really get away with using one set of wheels for both racing and training until you get to approximately the upper reaches of Cat 2. I have a set of old Campy Shamals that look spindly (they only have 12 spokes) but when I broke a spoke on my training wheels some while back, I just put the Shamals on there. They're dead true and dead round despite carrying a 185-lb rider a loooong way over all kinds of terrain. Tens of thousands of miles. I've beat on them and thoroughly abused them. They're absolutely perfect. Some folks claim the Ksyriums are just as bomber.

Deep dish wheels are annoying in crosswinds though, especially if you're riding close to other riders. The back wheel doesn't much matter, but on a windy day it's best to use a regular front wheel.

The one thing I don't much like about the Shamals is that the ride is noticeably harsher than with a regular set of 32' wheels. They seem much less vertically compliant. I should get that spoke fixed and use the 32's...

wilmar13 said:
I ride the heck out of a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbones and have had no problems yet... very stiff and feel better to me sprinting than a set of Campy Nutrons.
when you say you ride the cosmic carbones is that the carbone pro, carbone SL, or carbone elite?

My Ksyrium SSC SLs are absolutely bulletproof. Training in the NYC area you tend to hit some pretty nasty roads. I've had them now for 2+ years and haven't had to true them yet. They're not the lightest, but with a mid-profile rim and bladed spokes, they're the perfect training wheel IMO. I'm starting to look into some deeper rim carbon clinchers myself, and although the Cosmic Carbone SLs are among the ones I'm considering, the weight is almost unbearable at 1,765g.

If you are doing time trials or triathalons, I would recomend a deep dish front with a disk wheel on the back. I would reccomend the Easton Tempest 2 carbon wheels. They are deep, but yet they wont be affected to much by the wind

jimmer23 said:
My Ksyrium SSC SLs are absolutely bulletproof. Training in the NYC area you tend to hit some pretty nasty roads. I've had them now for 2+ years and haven't had to true them yet. They're not the lightest, but with a mid-profile rim and bladed spokes, they're the perfect training wheel IMO. I'm starting to look into some deeper rim carbon clinchers myself, and although the Cosmic Carbone SLs are among the ones I'm considering, the weight is almost unbearable at 1,765g.
You might want to look into the bontrager aeolous 5.0 wheels. They come in a carbon clincher version (carbon sidewall instead of aluminum like other deep dish wheels) 50mm deep and I think the weight is around 1200 grams.

jimmer23 said:
I second the SL's. I've been using them since Feb and have done hills, crits, road races and even TT's with them. I weigh 178 and they are as true as the day I put them on. At first I was still using my Cosmos for training, but I like the feel of the SL's so much I hardly use them anymore. I would like some deep dishers for TT's, but I'm still not happy about putting out 1100 to 2000 bones for them!