degreaser and 20" bmx tubes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Oceanchemist, May 25, 2003.

  1. Oceanchemist

    Oceanchemist Guest

    I go through these like a dose of salts having 3 boys who get punctures all the time and me who
    cycles through mud regularly. Ican't believe I need to pay £40! for 5 litres of degreaser, anyone
    help? What is the biggest and best cheap online cycle shop?

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    oceanchemist wrote:
    > I go through these like a dose of salts having 3 boys who get punctures all the time and me who
    > cycles through mud regularly. Ican't believe I need to pay £40! for 5 litres of degreaser,
    > anyone help?

    Do you really need degreaser for mud? Water and elbow grease is cheaper. WD40 (or copy) on a
    rag does for the sprockets, etc. White spirit is good for soaking chains and things in and can
    be re-used.

    Tubes: Could try asking bike shop for a discount on a box of 10, or.....

    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm - inner tubes - butyl presta - "20x1 3/8 /500A
    (37x440-451) normal length presta valve quality economy butyl inner tube SPECIAL PRICE: £2.50". Is
    that the right size? (I know little about bmx's). Prestas should fit rims with the help of a grommet
    even if current tubes are schrader. Warning SJS postage is £5 for orders under £50.

    http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk - 1.5/2.125 schrader: £2.95

    >What is the biggest and best cheap online cycle shop?

    There isn't one that's best for everything, so it depends on precisely what you need each time.

    ~PB

  3. Michael Kent

    Michael Kent Guest

    > oceanchemist wrote:
    > > I go through these like a dose of salts having 3 boys who get punctures all the time and me who
    > > cycles through mud regularly. Ican't believe I need to pay £40! for 5 litres of degreaser,
    > > anyone help?
    >
    > Do you really need degreaser for mud? Water and elbow grease is cheaper. WD40 (or copy) on a rag
    > does for the sprockets, etc. White spirit is good for soaking chains and things in and can be
    > re-used.

    But remember to re-lube after cleaning!! with all those evaporating substances used for cleaning .
    WD40 seems to bring a nice shine to the frame though.

    Cheers Michael