delore parts

Kenny Ken

Guest
I have a 5+ yr old cromo frame (Ironhose), fitted with a rockshox quad 21s, my rear deraileur broke
(shimano alivio i think) so im getting delore front and rear deraileurs... this is actually costing
me quite a bit, but i dont feel like theres a need to upgrade my bike... altho they've suggested
that i purchase a new bike,

my question is... im going by the assumption that better components make a good bike? my frame is
a bit worn but certainly not abused, and ive upgraded much of the parts (my bike weights just
under 30lbs).

also how would i know my suspsnsion need replacing?

and are delores decent for trail / path / occasional rough terrain use?

thanks ken.

--
k.kennyken at rogers dot com

"Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a 5+ yr old cromo frame (Ironhose), fitted with a rockshox quad
21s,
> my rear deraileur broke (shimano alivio i think) so im getting delore
front
> and rear deraileurs... this is actually costing me quite a bit, but i dont
feel
> like theres a need to upgrade my bike... altho they've suggested that i purchase a new bike,
>
> my question is... im going by the assumption that better components make a good bike? my frame is
> a bit worn but certainly not abused, and ive upgraded much of the parts (my bike weights just
> under 30lbs).
>
> also how would i know my suspsnsion need replacing?
>
> and are delores decent for trail / path / occasional rough terrain use?
>
> thanks ken.
>
> --
> k.kennyken at rogers dot com

Ken -

If you've been happy with Alivio for all this time, then you don't require a particularly
high-tech or high-priced set of mechs. That being said, Deore should be a welcome change - and a
noticable upgrade.

What worries me is that a set of Deore deraileurs is costing you "quite a bit." Do some web
searching to see what Deore mechs cost, and compare those prices to the ones you were quoted. The
LBS will usually be a few dollars more expensive (that doesn't mean shop on the web). Also note that
LX and XT are also part of the Deore line and you may have been quoted prices on these derailleurs.
If you're uncertain as to what you've ordered, double-check with the shop. If they want more than
$50 installed for a set of Deore (just Deore - LX or XT makes the price go up a bit) mechs, look
around at other shops.

Chris

Kenny Ken wrote:
> I have a 5+ yr old cromo frame (Ironhose), fitted with a rockshox quad 21s,

If we're talking RS Quadra 21s, then that's a little longer ago than '98 :)

> my rear deraileur broke (shimano alivio i think) so im getting delore front and rear deraileurs...
> this is actually costing me quite a bit, but i dont feel like theres a need to upgrade my bike...
> altho they've suggested that i purchase a new bike,

Current Deore is 9sp, whereas your old Alivio was 7sp. Normally, you'd expect a compatibility
problem, so check out exactly what work the LBS is carrying out. Are they replacing your entire
groupset, or just putting on some older derailleurs?

When you say it's costing you 'quite a bit', how much is 'quite a bit'?

> my question is... im going by the assumption that better components make a good bike? my frame is
> a bit worn but certainly not abused, and ive upgraded much of the parts (my bike weights just
> under 30lbs).
>
> also how would i know my suspsnsion need replacing?

It's an old Rock Shox, it needs replacing :)

Without being facetious, the RS Quadra represents probably 2nd generation suspension fork
technology, and now the technology has moved on many generations, and is infinitely superior.

Ultimately though, are you happy with your current fork? There are advantages to upgrading, but
whether they pan out well in your views of cost v benefit is another matter.

> and are delores decent for trail / path / occasional rough terrain use?

Deore should cope admirably.

Kenny Ken said...

> I have a 5+ yr old cromo frame (Ironhose), fitted with a rockshox quad 21s, my rear deraileur
> broke (shimano alivio i think) so im getting delore front and rear deraileurs... this is actually
> costing me quite a bit, but i dont feel like theres a need to upgrade my bike... altho they've
> suggested that i purchase a new bike,
>
> my question is... im going by the assumption that better components make a good bike? my frame is
> a bit worn but certainly not abused, and ive upgraded much of the parts (my bike weights just
> under 30lbs).
>
> also how would i know my suspsnsion need replacing?
>
> and are delores decent for trail / path / occasional rough terrain use?
>
> thanks ken.

I assume you mean Shimano Deore parts. These are positioned by Shimano to be a higher cost and
quality level of components than Alivio, but there are several price levels of parts that share the
Deore name. They go from least to most expensive: Deore, Deore LX, Deore XT and Deore XTR. If you
were happy with Alivio parts, then don't let anybody sell you anything more expensive than the plain
Deore parts. These are perfectly good parts and a good bargain. I have a complete set of older base
Deore parts on my old GT, and they have given me years of more or less trouble free service,
although I am a 90% street 10% off-road rider.

what are the current front fork suspension manufacturers? because I hear alot of people say great
things about other companies.

ken

--
k.kennyken at rogers dot com "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kenny Ken wrote:
> > I have a 5+ yr old cromo frame (Ironhose), fitted with a rockshox quad
21s,

> If we're talking RS Quadra 21s, then that's a little longer ago than '98
:)

> > my rear deraileur broke (shimano alivio i think) so im getting delore
front
> > and rear deraileurs... this is actually costing me quite a bit, but i dont
feel
> > like theres a need to upgrade my bike... altho they've suggested that i purchase a new bike,
>
> Current Deore is 9sp, whereas your old Alivio was 7sp. Normally, you'd expect a compatibility
> problem, so check out exactly what work the LBS is carrying out. Are they replacing your entire
> groupset, or just putting on some older derailleurs?
>
> When you say it's costing you 'quite a bit', how much is 'quite a bit'?
>
> > my question is... im going by the assumption that better components make a good bike? my frame
> > is a bit worn but certainly not abused, and ive upgraded much of the parts (my bike weights just
> > under 30lbs).
> >
> > also how would i know my suspsnsion need replacing?
>
> It's an old Rock Shox, it needs replacing :)
>
> Without being facetious, the RS Quadra represents probably 2nd generation suspension fork
> technology, and now the technology has moved on many generations, and is infinitely superior.
>
> Ultimately though, are you happy with your current fork? There are advantages to upgrading, but
> whether they pan out well in your views of cost v benefit is another matter.
>
> > and are delores decent for trail / path / occasional rough terrain use?
>
> Deore should cope admirably.
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

"Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> what are the current front fork suspension manufacturers? because I hear alot of people say great
> things about other companies.
>
> ken

The major players are Manitou, Marzocchi, RockShox, and Fox. Other companies (like RST or Suntour)
just don't make as nice a product, or (like White Bros., Foes) make very specific products that fall
outside the range of your riding style.

In general: Marzocchi offers the best overall product, RockShox the worst. Manitou has a lot of
models that can meet any need, but in general their quality level is not as high as Marzocchi. Fox
stuff is outstanding - but is very pricey, and the very best stuff (TerraLogic or TALAS) relies on
very new technology, and it's not usually a good idea to invest heavily on something that hasn't had
a year of real-world abuse to work out the bugs.

That's only the 30-second version, and summing it up like that really isn't the best way to inform
you about fork makers - generalizing is rarely accurate, fair, or comprehensive. Hit up Google for
detailed discussions.

Chris