dented rim and frame is too long

stevechow

Mar 11, 2006
hi guys, it's been a while. hope everyone is good as ever. i had a dented rear rim. it is a SHIMANO WH-R550 i would like to know what can i do. i checked with my local bike shop which they advised to change a new set of rims include front and back. apparently rims in my town are sold in pairs.

i have another issue, i have always feel uncomfortable with my frame which i feel is too long plus the stem. i am thinking of getting a shorter stem. question is how short or what size should i get. i can't do much with the frame which too costly to change. anyway i liked the frame which is a BH CONNECT and purchased 2 years ago. and how can i be sure the stem is too long?? i said so because when i am riding with my hands on the brakes i felt i am slightly stretched to reach them

thanks

Chow,
The crazy cyclist

How tall are you?

What is your inseam length?

What is your torso length?

How long are your arms?

What is the c-c length of the top tube?

How long is the current stem?

How far below the top of the saddle are the flats of the brake hoods?

alfeng said:
How tall are you?

What is your inseam length?

What is your torso length?

How long are your arms?

What is the c-c length of the top tube?

How long is the current stem?

How far below the top of the saddle are the flats of the brake hoods?

These are questions that need to be answered.

An easy way to check to the stem's reach is to sit on the saddle with your hands on the hoods, then look down at your bars and see where the bars align with the front hub. If the bars cover the front hub then the reach is good, if it's in front of the hub then it's too long which of course means if it's behind the hub it's too short.

Problem with the above is that if you change the stem to a longer stem or shorter stem then that will move the reach forward or backwards as does moving the saddle.

So instead of making this post way too long, or guessing, here is a web site that will take from the first part of measuring to the last, if you follow this you will be very close to the proper fit:

How to Fit a Bicycle

stevechow said:
i had a dented rear rim. it is a SHIMANO WH-R550 i would like to know what can i do. i checked with my local bike shop which they advised to change a new set of rims include front and back. apparently rims in my town are sold in pairs.
BTW. ALEX + some other brands of rims are available with almost every conceivable number of spoke hole drillings ...

You won't have to buy a pair.

You may have to buy via mail order or eBay.

alfeng said:
BTW. ALEX + some other brands of rims are available with almost every conceivable number of spoke hole drillings ...

You won't have to buy a pair.

You may have to buy via mail order or eBay.

Hi thanks for the heads up. I haven had a chance to look at it. I am still using the old rims or maybe i am considering to get a used rim :D:D

Froze said:
These are questions that need to be answered.

An easy way to check to the stem's reach is to sit on the saddle with your hands on the hoods, then look down at your bars and see where the bars align with the front hub. If the bars cover the front hub then the reach is good, if it's in front of the hub then it's too long which of course means if it's behind the hub it's too short.

Problem with the above is that if you change the stem to a longer stem or shorter stem then that will move the reach forward or backwards as does moving the saddle.

So instead of making this post way too long, or guessing, here is a web site that will take from the first part of measuring to the last, if you follow this you will be very close to the proper fit:

How to Fit a Bicycle

Hi i am not sure if i understand you. I sat on the saddle with both my hands on the brakes(i assumed you meant hoods as brakes), YES the hub is covered when i looked down aligned to the bar(i am looking down the bar with my neck positioned normally, which means i did not stretch my neck forward or backward).

I have not finished the article posted in your link

Cheers