Dented rim

Zog The Undenia

Guest
Two questions for the wheel experts out there, as I'm rebuilding my old MTB and noticed a couple of
small problems with the wheels.

1) Is it possible to knock a very small dent (less than 1mm) out of an alloy rim, or should I just
ignore it? Picture at http://www.peeble.com/dent.jpg (the rim weld is on the extreme right; the
dent is above the spoke hole).

2) Does this sort of chain damage to the driveside spokes mean changing all 8 outside spokes, should
I polish out the nicks, or should I just ignore it? Picture at http://www.peeble.com/nicks.jpg -
the scratches are about 0.5mm deep.

TIA

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Two questions for the wheel experts out there, as I'm rebuilding my old MTB and noticed a couple
> of small problems with the wheels.
>
> 1) Is it possible to knock a very small dent (less than 1mm) out of an alloy rim, or should I just
> ignore it? Picture at http://www.peeble.com/dent.jpg (the rim weld is on the extreme right; the
> dent is above the spoke hole).

IMO, you'd probably gnarl-up (technical term) the rim worse, so just leave it alone. (Or, use a wide
vice grip and "gently" pry it out.)

> 2) Does this sort of chain damage to the driveside spokes mean changing all 8 outside spokes,
> should I polish out the nicks, or should I just ignore it? Picture at
> http://www.peeble.com/nicks.jpg
> - the scratches are about 0.5mm deep.

That's what you get for inspecting your bike too closely :) Will leave valid opinions to the learned
amongst us; I'd just ride 'em until there's a problem...

Bill "from the Ostrich School of Bike Maintenance" S.

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:21:14 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
may have said:

>Two questions for the wheel experts out there, as I'm rebuilding my old MTB and noticed a couple of
>small problems with the wheels.
>
>1) Is it possible to knock a very small dent (less than 1mm) out of an alloy rim, or should I just
> ignore it? Picture at http://www.peeble.com/dent.jpg (the rim weld is on the extreme right; the
> dent is above the spoke hole).

That might not be hard to straighten, but if it was me, and if I was not having a problem with brake
operation as a result of its presence, I would ignore it rather than introduce more bending in my
quest to try to get it back where it started.

>2) Does this sort of chain damage to the driveside spokes mean changing all 8 outside spokes,
> should I polish out the nicks, or should I just ignore it? Picture at
> http://www.peeble.com/nicks.jpg - the scratches are about 0.5mm deep.

That's why frisbees are used behind the cassettes on bikes for the masses. In my opinion, those
spokes probably won't fail, *but*....you've got the wheel apart, and now's the time to swap them out
if you're going to. If it was me, I wouldn't do anything to them other than replacment, and I'd just
swap the ones with the worst nicks. (And in my case, I'd add a frisbee if there was room.)

it's also possible that I'm busy.

you can try knocking the dent out. use a rod of wood like a chisel to avoid mangling the rim. be
very careful - making the dent an "outie" is far worse than having it an "innie". better to tap it
20 times and get it right than once and get it wrong.

regarding the spokes, the ones you see are the easiest to replace without having to disassemble the
whole wheel. if you're into home maintenance, i wouldn't bother replacing just yet - it doesn't
appear that that wheel gets ridden a lot, so it'll be a while before those notches fatigue. and if
they do, simply remove the cassette and replace as & when they break. if however you have your lbs
do the work, again, wait till the spokes break, then have them all replaced at once - cheaper than
individual repairs.

jb

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Two questions for the wheel experts out there, as I'm rebuilding my old MTB and noticed a couple
> of small problems with the wheels.
>
> 1) Is it possible to knock a very small dent (less than 1mm) out of an alloy rim, or should I just
> ignore it? Picture at http://www.peeble.com/dent.jpg (the rim weld is on the extreme right; the
> dent is above the spoke hole).
>
> 2) Does this sort of chain damage to the driveside spokes mean changing all 8 outside spokes,
> should I polish out the nicks, or should I just ignore it? Picture at
> http://www.peeble.com/nicks.jpg - the scratches are about 0.5mm deep.
>
> TIA

news:p[email protected]...
> IMO, you'd probably gnarl-up (technical term) the rim worse, so just leave it alone. (Or, use a
> wide vice grip and "gently" pry it out.)

That dent isn't too bad, and it also goes in so it will feel less obvious at the brake lever. I'd
use an adjustable wrench and try to bend it out slightly. Either way, it's no big deal.

> That's what you get for inspecting your bike too closely :) Will leave valid opinions to the
> learned amongst us; I'd just ride 'em until there's
> problem...

I'd replace those spokes. Those are relatively deep abrasions. You've got the wheel apart, for the
$2 or whatever in spokes, it's a worthwhile investment IMHO. If a job's worth doin'...

Cheers,

Scott..

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:21:14 +0000, Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> 1) Is it possible to knock a very small dent (less than 1mm) out of an alloy rim, or should I just
> ignore it?

You could do either. Using a chisel-shaped piece of wood should work. Go easy, and only try to
improve the situation, not perfect it.

> 2) Does this sort of chain damage to the driveside spokes mean changing all 8 outside spokes,
> should I polish out the nicks, or should I just ignore it?

It's close to needing replacement, but I would not worry about it until the first spoke breaks, then
replace them all. On the other hand, you need to address the cause. Adjust the limit screw on your
derailleur so you won't jam the chain in between the spokes and the cassette, which is what caused
this. Some people use "chain guards", but a well-adjusted derailleur will not do this.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve _`\(,_ | death. And some that die
deserve life. Can you give it to (_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in
judgement. -- J. R. R. Tolkien

>Two questions for the wheel experts out there, as I'm rebuilding my old MTB and noticed a couple of
>small problems with the wheels.
>
>1) Is it possible to knock a very small dent (less than 1mm) out of an alloy rim, or should I just
> ignore it? Picture at http://www.peeble.com/dent.jpg (the rim weld is on the extreme right; the
> dent is above the spoke hole).

Yes, you can straighten out the rim.

>2) Does this sort of chain damage to the driveside spokes mean changing all 8 outside spokes,
> should I polish out the nicks, or should I just ignore it? Picture at
> http://www.peeble.com/nicks.jpg - the scratches are about 0.5mm deep.

It looks to me as if at least a few of those spokes are going to break in the near future.
----------------
Alex

Originally posted by Zog The Undenia
Two questions for the wheel experts out there, as I'm rebuilding my old MTB and noticed a couple of
small problems with the wheels.

1) Is it possible to knock a very small dent (less than 1mm) out of an alloy rim, or should I just
ignore it? Picture at http://www.peeble.com/dent.jpg (the rim weld is on the extreme right; the
dent is above the spoke hole).

2) Does this sort of chain damage to the driveside spokes mean changing all 8 outside spokes, should
I polish out the nicks, or should I just ignore it? Picture at http://www.peeble.com/nicks.jpg -
the scratches are about 0.5mm deep.

TIA

I join those who suggest that the rim looks like an easy fix by bending with an adjustable wrench. Just don’t overdo it with the bending. If you are uncomfortable with this idea, just forget it and ride the rim as is. But regarding the spokes, the nicked ones may break at any time. So, why not replace them and make the wheel sound? If it were my wheel, I’d replace all 8. But for sure, I'd recommend to replace any of the spokes that has even a small nick.

Have you solved the issue with shifting the chain into the spokes yet? You don't want to be re-spoking the wheel again so check that your rdr is adjusted properly and that the bracket is straight. Why not put one of those plastic disk spoke protectors on the wheel at least until you're sure that there are no shifting problems?

Steve Shapiro

ggg-<< 1) Is it possible to knock a very small dent (less than 1mm) out of an alloy rim, >><BR><BR>

You can pry that out with a small channel lock or something similar, but be gentle, you can crack
the aluminum and I would replace the dinged up spokes and adjust your rear der limit or straighten
the der hanger!!

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> ggg-<< 1) Is it possible to knock a very small dent (less than 1mm) out of an alloy rim,
> >><BR><BR>
>
> You can pry that out with a small channel lock or something similar, but be gentle, you can crack
> the aluminum and I would replace the dinged up spokes and adjust your rear der limit or straighten
> the der hanger!!

Thanks for the replies - I've now replaced the 8 outside spokes because the normally useless LBS
actually had the right length in plain gauge (which is what the others were).

I don't remember the chain ever jumping off, but the wheel is rather old and it could have happened
years ago.