dept.store bike surprise!

effexsport

Nov 12, 2004
:eek: a target brand schwinn s-25 bike surprised me with the equipment it came with for the price, especially for people on a low budget.

handbuilt trailtuned 6061 full susp.frame
mozo m30 fork
mtb riser handlebars
schwinn quality threadless stem on two bolt faceplate
shimano ef-29 eazy fire triggers
promax linear pull brakes
wtb 26x2.1 velociraptor tires
aero v anodized rims with machined sidewalls
cool paint job:)

its a sick bike for the price and can be a good starter bike for those on a low budget who might have other income priorities (kids, mortgage ext...)
after all the bottom line for anyone who appreciates the sport is to get out there and ride.
icon14.gif

keydates said:
But is it assembled well?
Bingo. I hardly think a department store is going to take the time to build the bike well.

That being said, if someone were so inclined they could check the assembly themselves to be sure it is put together properly.

perhaps the bike isn't put together correctly but if ur a wrench head u could do your own modifications if not then spend the extra 30 bucks for a tune up at a reccommended bike shop, after all u just saved hundreds on a comprable bike thats a mere 3 lbs lighter.
of course u can't beat the benifit of going to a bike shop, u get some quality stuff, but mostly its the fact that u can personalize the bike to your individual needs which in turn provides some quality feel.
still this is a good all around begginer bike.:cool:

effexsport said:
perhaps the bike isn't put together correctly but if ur a wrench head u could do your own modifications if not then spend the extra 30 bucks for a tune up at a reccommended bike shop, after all u just saved hundreds on a comprable bike thats a mere 3 lbs lighter.

I didn't start doing my own wrenching until I was on $400-$800 bikes and riding upwards of 2000 miles per year between road and mountain. I figure I started wrenching earlier than most too. Most people who don't wouldn't have a clue where to start. I must admit it would be an excellent bike for my dad and several other people I know.

Maybe if I'm a wrench head and that cute chick I have for a neighbor starts asking about a starter bike. Maybe she would need some help keeping it tuned up? Then I could promise, given a few months, to get her set up on a sweet rig in exchange for...

cachehiker said:
I didn't start doing my own wrenching until I was on $400-$800 bikes and riding upwards of 2000 miles per year between road and mountain. I figure I started wrenching earlier than most too. Most people who don't wouldn't have a clue where to start. I must admit it would be an excellent bike for my dad and several other people I know.

Maybe if I'm a wrench head and that cute chick I have for a neighbor starts asking about a starter bike. Maybe she would need some help keeping it tuned up? Then I could promise, given a few months, to get her set up on a sweet rig in exchange for...
effexsport=thats cool, if she's interested in you you could interest her in anything especially if u set her up on a sweet rig; theres nothing like a person who knows the meaning of the word 'gratitude':) )

effexsport said:
:eek: a target brand schwinn s-25 bike surprised me with the equipment it came with for the price, especially for people on a low budget.

handbuilt trailtuned 6061 full susp.frame
mozo m30 fork
mtb riser handlebars
schwinn quality threadless stem on two bolt faceplate
shimano ef-29 eazy fire triggers
promax linear pull brakes
wtb 26x2.1 velociraptor tires
aero v anodized rims with machined sidewalls
cool paint job:)

its a sick bike for the price and can be a good starter bike for those on a low budget who might have other income priorities (kids, mortgage ext...)
after all the bottom line for anyone who appreciates the sport is to get out there and ride.
icon14.gif

Not trying to be "too" contrary about the bike, but:

"Schwinn" doesn't produce *any* "handmade" frames at any pricepoint any longer (Pacific owns Schwinn and produces all their frames via robotic welding over-seas). The "trail tuned" geometry is (once you look at it) industry "standard" for not real snappy, but not real sluggish either.

The deraileurs on it are "interesting" to say the least when one wants to shift under a load (as is done quite often while "mountain biking"). They work, but...

The brakes are actually quite average for "v-brake" knock-offs.

Please don't get me started on the suspension of these bikes.

All of that "negative" aside, it would be a fine bike for someone to "learn" how to ride off-road (techniques and such) if they were on a very strict budget or if they were not sure if they were truly interested in riding mtb for real. It would probably stagger folks how many of that type of bike I have folks asking me to "fix" after just simple riding. I'm not a pro-wrench, but you know how it goes once a few friends know you build your own wheels and do your own bike wrenching...

Last spring we (the crew each chipped in several dollars) bought a brand new mtb from a chain store that shall remain nameless (after careful examination of many many department store bikes) with the intent of "testing" it and performing some experiments. That bike "died" after only marginal mtb riding and required several moments of my time to finish the ride (luckily I didn't lose the battle to ride it that time). I took it off a 4' wall at the house later that night and the forks (nearly identical to the ones on this current Target bike) folded, literaly. To be fair it isn't built, designed or intended for that type of stuff, but none of my Marzocchi or Manitou products have died under the same loads/conditions.

I do wish it were finacially easier for folks to get "quality" mtb bikes and products for hella cheap. Used is the way I went (and sometimes still do) when I was first starting out and the funds were way more limited than they are now. Ride on fine folks and remember to keep the rubber side down.

K.

when some bikes nowadays cost as much as a used car it detures alot of people from getting started in mtb riding so even though i agree with the sub-standard derailers the bike is still ok specially for the price, derailer upgrades are always available. used is better too but the idea here is to get people out there riding and though not all will take to it, (just like i did with my dept. store bike) some people will.

now i love ridin'

U get it?;)

effexsport said:
when some bikes nowadays cost as much as a used car it detures alot of people from getting started in mtb riding so even though i agree with the sub-standard derailers the bike is still ok specially for the price, derailer upgrades are always available. used is better too but the idea here is to get people out there riding and though not all will take to it, (just like i did with my dept. store bike) some people will.

now i love ridin'

U get it?;)

Oh, I'm pretty sure I "get it" considering my first two "real" mtb's were each a piece of sh$&. I also regularly allow newbies to use a couple of my bikes for several weeks at a time so they can figure out if they want to get into the sport. I also get that most of the work I do (for free) on friends/acquaintances bikes is in an effort to keep them from getting frustrated with **** bikes/components so they stay "into" the riding experience and are not scared off/frustrated by constant downtime. Anyway, as you state it is about getting more people into "our" sport, but I would also add so that we can: continue to grow/strengthen the support/advocacy base to improve and grow "our" sport.

Bottom line: Ride what puts a smile on your face...(insert joke here if you are so inclined!).

K.

right on thats cools u help out, its hard to find good bikes that last on a tight budget, for those of us that can't afford a four figure rig (yet) its cool to find riders that are willing to help out.

still a good starter for under two hundo's:)
nuff' said!:mad: