Di2 Updates, Comments, etc.

larrynipon

Sep 17, 2003
Just had my Madone 6.9Pro (2008) rebuilt with the Di2. Took my first ride. It's rare that a new piece of highly hyped gadgetry lives up to the cranked up expectation, and unfortunately, the Di2 didn't live up to it...it blew it away!

Once you ride this group, you will hock whatever it takes to get your hands on it,,,if you can. It will change your gear strategy. Putting aside the cool factor, pride of ownership, and the gadget factor, the Di2 really is a rider's dream.
I'll have a more complete, objective eval in the next couple days. Stay tuned

larrynipon said:
Just had my Madone 6.9Pro (2008) rebuilt with the Di2. Took my first ride. It's rare that a new piece of highly hyped gadgetry lives up to the cranked up expectation, and unfortunately, the Di2 didn't live up to it...it blew it away!

Once you ride this group, you will hock whatever it takes to get your hands on it,,,if you can. It will change your gear strategy. Putting aside the cool factor, pride of ownership, and the gadget factor, the Di2 really is a rider's dream.

Can't wait but be sure to not 'put aside' the $ to obtain, plus the $ for say a replacement rear derailleur or shifter set(since singles may not be available).

Pretty amazing but IMO, not sure it worth the $ when compared to a modern shifting system from the 3 makers.

My only response is...
ride it, then get back to me on that thought. Where the price is today, it is definitely going to have limited exposure, but the price will come down. It's probably the most significant advance we've seen in cycling since the introduction of the various frame materials like Carbon and Ti, and Aluminum. The Di2 delivers a new riding experience, end of story.

Peter@vecchios said:
Can't wait but be sure to not 'put aside' the $ to obtain, plus the $ for say a replacement rear derailleur or shifter set(since singles may not be available).

Pretty amazing but IMO, not sure it worth the $ when compared to a modern shifting system from the 3 makers.

larrynipon said:
My only response is...
ride it, then get back to me on that thought. Where the price is today, it is definitely going to have limited exposure, but the price will come down. It's probably the most significant advance we've seen in cycling since the introduction of the various frame materials like Carbon and Ti, and Aluminum. The Di2 delivers a new riding experience, end of story.

But do you like it?

Since shimano gruppos have never gone down in price, I wonder. Maybe the ultegra version if there is one.

New riding experience? I guess YMMV. Look, I think it's the most whizbang of whizbangery but it electronically moves the chain around, right?

I think the story is just starting on this one.

What's the big deal? It's not like the existing technology has major flaws that needs fixing, and it's not like changing gears is so complicated that a new gadget is needed.

larrynipon said:

Nice story, but my only question is "why"? Are you just the early adopter type? Do you feel this componetry is going to give you an advantage in a race? Do you just like showing off your discretionary income and being able to brag about having the latest gadget? I'm interested in your motive...

tonyzackery said:
Nice story, but my only question is "why"? Are you just the early adopter type? Do you feel this componetry is going to give you an advantage in a race? Do you just like showing off your discretionary income and being able to brag about having the latest gadget? I'm interested in your motive...

Who cares what his motive(s) are? Is that what cycling is to you: knowing everyone's motive? I really don't see how it's any of your business. You're gonna make whatever judgement about the guy, whether or not he gives a motive. Christ, let the guy ride. He gave his impression, and that's it. He's far from the only person to buy Di2, and he won't be the last.

What's your motive for asking such a stupid question?

alienator said:
Who cares what his motive(s) are? Is that what cycling is to you: knowing everyone's motive? I really don't see how it's any of your business. You're gonna make whatever judgement about the guy, whether or not he gives a motive. Christ, let the guy ride. He gave his impression, and that's it. He's far from the only person to buy Di2, and he won't be the last.

LOL! Did you say something???:D

O.k., to get this thread back on track: Anybody know when Campagnolo will start selling their elctronic group? ;)

Again...ride it, then comment. The difference isn't easily explained. It's something you just need to feel to understand how signifiucant the difference is. It changes the yway you will use your gears.

Yojimbo_ said:
What's the big deal? It's not like the existing technology has major flaws that needs fixing, and it's not like changing gears is so complicated that a new gadget is needed.

I guess the question becomes one of whose motive is in question...;the one that asks a contentious question such as yours, or mine...which is..yes, I have the income...no it's not bragging, it's just a fact...yes, I like technology...no, I don't race, but I love achieving the best results, and have the $$ to pursue that desire...if you resent me for that, I think that might be your problem, not mine. I love sharing experiences with others, since this is how I learn as well...from reading what other people have to say, and their opinions...without being intimidated by people who ask potentially embarrassing questions, until you realize they don't really matter...oh, am I talking about you?
By the way, yes, I am an early adopter.

tonyzackery said:

Thank you. I should probably have read your response before I ripped into the guy. Besides, the 20 things I'm selling on ebay should probably cover it:)...

alienator said:

larrynipon said:
Again...ride it, then comment. The difference isn't easily explained. It's something you just need to feel to understand how signifiucant the difference is. It changes the yway you will use your gears.

You mean that you thought the difference was significant and that
Di2 changed the way you use your gears.

You're not qualified to comment on how others respond.

Changing gears is just, well, changing gears. No matter what the system in use, shifting takes negligible effort. All modern systems shift well under load (otherwise the big boys wouldn't be able to change gears while ridin' up the Mortirolo or the Stelvio, would they?). Faster shifts? Yeah, like that's even an issue.

Di2 certainly hasn't dominated the Pro Tour races, not for something so "revolutionary." I mean, Tornado Tom didn't do too bad with the Campy kit, did he?

STI-type shifting was revolutionary. Di2 is just evolutionary.

larrynipon said:
I guess the question becomes one of whose motive is in question...;the one that asks a contentious question such as yours, or mine...which is..yes, I have the income...no it's not bragging, it's just a fact...yes, I like technology...no, I don't race, but I love achieving the best results, and have the $$ to pursue that desire...if you resent me for that, I think that might be your problem, not mine. I love sharing experiences with others, since this is how I learn as well...from reading what other people have to say, and their opinions...without being intimidated by people who ask potentially embarrassing questions, until you realize they don't really matter...oh, am I talking about you?
By the way, yes, I am an early adopter.
Excellent response!

Now I'll run along "go hock whatever it takes" to get my hands on it based on your glowing recommendation. I can put it on my eBay purchased used 2005 Airborne Thunderbolt aluminum frame (the non-pro model). With any fortune, the gruppo should enable me to upgrade to cat.2 within the season. Thanks for sharing.

Just had my Ferrari 430 Scuderia (2008) with custom paint job ($25,000) rebuilt with an ECU remap. Took my first ride. It's rare that a new piece of highly hyped gadgetry lives up to the cranked up expectation, and unfortunately, the ECU remap didn't live up to it...it blew it away!

Once you drive this car, you will hock whatever it takes to get your hands on it,,,if you can. It will change your driving experience. Putting aside the cool factor, pride of ownership, and the gadget factor, the remap really is a driver's dream.
I'll have a more complete, objective eval in the next couple days. Stay tuned.

BTW, I am related to JTE if you cannot guess.

alienator said:
I think it is pretty clear the guy is a douche. Instead of telling us he tried DI2 and liked it, he felt the need to give details of the bike that it is on, including the bike's year for some reason. It is obvious what his intent was.

It's good to hear that it works so well. Personally I feel that cable systems are becoming lighter and more friction-free, lever throws are becoming easier and shorter ad there is still room to grow with non electric systems.

I found it interesting how Campy pro's a couple years ago switched to the Red springs since they liked the firmer shifting.

That being said, I thought the little shifters buttons on the bar tops on some of the Paris-Roubaix bikes to be pretty cool. I would love to shift from the bar-tops especially when I'm riding indoors on the rollers, but also when I'm climbing since the tops are my preferred position.

I would definitely take the opportunity to try it. I'm genuinely curious.

But it begs the philosophical issue of a physical sport being dependent on electricity. The point is not how electronic systems may or may not be more reliable than physical. The issue, to me, is whether a physical sport should be dependent on an electrical source at all. I just think of the other physical sports which people enjoy either as competitors or just as recreational participants: any team sport (soccer, hockey, basketball, baseball, you name it), any outdoor individual sport (hiking, fishing, golf, running, skiing, etc.). Although all benefit from technology and some even use electricity to enhance or supplement the experience, none would be dead in the water if the electrical source failed.

I just don't "think it's right" that a bicycle should be dependent on electrical power to work. But like I said, I'm definitely intrigued by the technology and this is just a philosophical rant. Who knows, if I tried it, I might love it enough to overcome this. But I doubt it.

This also leads me to wonder why, since they seem to make such trivial limitations on other bicycle design features, why the racing authorities would allow electronic shifting?

Holy f**k guys, the OP simply got some fancy new gear and wanted to share his personal experiences on the stuff with readers of this forum. Much like every other Joe and weekend warrior on this equipment forum sharing their "expert" views on various high-end equipment and components. If the guy can afford his toys and is happy shelling out a month's mortgage on the stuff, more power to him. Why rip his personal choice? Envy is a shitty motive to **** on the OP and Di2. I don't own Di2 (nor do I plan to) but had a chance to ride a bike equipped with it for about 20km and was really impressed. Do we need Di2 in our lives and does it take you from a Cat 3 to a Cat 1 rider? Hell no, but Di2 (and Super Record 11, Red, Lew wheels, Time VXRS frames, etc, etc) sure is nice to have.

Tech72 said:
Holy f**k guys, the OP simply got some fancy new gear and wanted to share his personal experiences on the stuff with readers of this forum. Much like every other Joe and weekend warrior on this equipment forum sharing their "expert" views on various high-end equipment and components. If the guy can afford his toys and is happy shelling out a month's mortgage on the stuff, more power to him. Why rip his personal choice? Envy is a shitty motive to **** on the OP and Di2. I don't own Di2 (nor do I plan to) but had a chance to ride a bike equipped with it for about 20km and was really impressed. Do we need Di2 in our lives and does it take you from a Cat 3 to a Cat 1 rider? Hell no, but Di2 (and Super Record 11, Red, Lew wheels, Time VXRS frames, etc, etc) sure is nice to have.
Take a chill-pill, homey. Your emotional investment in this thread is all over your sleeves. Further, your attempt to rescue the OP from some perceived damnation that doesn't exist is silly.

Irrespective of your comment, more often than not guys/gals who like to parade their money around are seriously lacking in other areas of their lives. Psychology 101...

Shimano won't be getting my money for Di2 - and that's all that really matters to me. End of story.