Dingle Peninsula

Alex.Clarke

Guest
Off on holiday to the very tip of the Dingle Peninsula in summer. Anyone
with experience of, or pointers to information on cycling round and
about the Dingle Peninsula in Kerry, Eire? I'm thinking of between 30
and 100 mile circular day rides. I tried Googling and newsgroup
archives, ended up with some info but an awful lot of pointers to
commercial cycle tour organisatins which don't really fit with my
independent plans.

Thanks

Alex

Alex.Clarke wrote:
> Off on holiday to the very tip of the Dingle Peninsula in summer. Anyone
> with experience of, or pointers to information on cycling round and
> about the Dingle Peninsula in Kerry, Eire? I'm thinking of between 30
> and 100 mile circular day rides. I tried Googling and newsgroup
> archives, ended up with some info but an awful lot of pointers to
> commercial cycle tour organisatins which don't really fit with my
> independent plans.

I've gone touring (not mountain biking) as a solo cyclist there a number
of times.

The highest road pass in Ireland is the Connor Pass from Dingle to
Tralee. Good fun. Great views at the top. Much more challenging in the
other direction because that way you ride up the steepest parts.

There are good independent hostels to stay in, but book ahead in peak
summer season. However, April and September are usually the driest two
months in Ireland.

The other peninsulas in Kerry are also great for cycling. There's some
nice hills. It's all very scenic. The motorised morons on the "ring of
kerry" are nothing but a pain; they travel god knows how far from all
around the world to one of the finest scenic road routes anywhere, then
drive around it like maniacs as though they were in the RAC rally.

Killarney, unless something has been done recently, is stuck in a 1950s
tourist-trap timewarp, catering for low-grade Yank tourists who really
enjoy plastic leprachauns, stage-Irish teatowel humour and miniature
shillelaghs. However, the national park there has some great paths if
your bike can handle slightly rougher ground than normal roads.

Just get yourself a decent map and go for it. You cannot really go wrong.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

I thought this was going to be another thread about penile numbness.