Discovery channel TDF coverage?

cannonman

Jan 15, 2005
Does anyone know if Discovery channel will pick up tour coverage this year because of the recent sponsor change from usps to Discovery? Hoping i might get to see more than just re-caps on sundays with local cable!

No. The Discovery Channel has not announced any plans to cover the Tour.

But OLN will cover. They did a fine job last summer.

tcklyde said:
No. The Discovery Channel has not announced any plans to cover the Tour.

But OLN will cover. They did a fine job last summer.
whats OLN? is that a channel on Sky?

Ruff-Ryder do not worry, you are in Europe so if you are on satellite you can watch the tour to your heart's content on Eurosport, or (I assume) you can pick up Antenne2 or France 3. In Italy there will be ample coverage on the RAI channels, and I think you can get Rai 1 and 2 without a lot of fiddling in the UK, right?

Anyhow, Eurosport usually even retransmits the stage in the evening, so even if your boss is not understanding about your need to take three hours off work every afternoon to watch the stage, you shouldn't have to miss anything! ;)

Yeah. I really enjoy the coverage OLN has for the sport, but I do wish I could also tune in to that EuroSport station you guys always seem to be talking about. You must be pretty spoiled with all the cycling coverage over there in your neck of the woods.

But OLN will cover. They did a fine job last summer.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding, re: the fine job? They didn't have their own camerapeople ready, to shoot LA's crossing of the finish line for his sixth victory. Instead, they had feed of Boonen winning only the stage. :confused:

Yippie Kye Ay said:
Discovery has just bought OLN this means they will show live coverage and a recap for the grand tours and select classics!

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7784.0.html
Seeing that the publish date on that story is April 1 I was actually wondering if it was a cruel cruel April fools joke? I certainly couldn't find any more information about Discovery aquiring OLN on either of their web sites or anywhere else the web for that matter. I want very badly for it to be true - full coverage of the Giro and Vuelta! but I am a bit sceptical. Can anyone confirm this with anything besides the April 1 Velonews story?

Eurosport show TdF every day live coverage for about 4 hours and the mountain top finishes they usually show the whole day.I must admit , with the new Pro Tour the amount of cycling theyre showing already is amazing , just a bit miffed its only 45 mins coverage of P-R this weekend , due to bloody motor racing <big yawn>

Roadrash Dunc said:
Eurosport show TdF every day live coverage for about 4 hours and the mountain top finishes they usually show the whole day.I must admit , with the new Pro Tour the amount of cycling theyre showing already is amazing , just a bit miffed its only 45 mins coverage of P-R this weekend , due to bloody motor racing <big yawn>

Wow that's a bummer, were going to get 1.5 hours out of OLN here in the states, but that's all we get each Sunday.

davidbod said:
Wow that's a bummer, were going to get 1.5 hours out of OLN here in the states, but that's all we get each Sunday.

Well we got two hours of Flanders. I hioe they'll do the same for Roubaix. And I hope we get Phil and Paul again. I like Bob Roll and all, but he can get pretty annoying after the first hour.

Last year I was on my honeymoon in Europe and I usually got to catch the last hour of a stage when we got back from our shore excursion (a cruise obviously) on Eurosport (it was in English but the post race show was in German!). I have to say that except for the abundance of commercials OLN is better. The announcers are better, the pieces on the riders and the history are better, etc. I would love to get Eurosport for all of the other races that we don't get live on OLN, but i like OLN.

House said:
Last year I was on my honeymoon in Europe and I usually got to catch the last hour of a stage when we got back from our shore excursion (a cruise obviously) on Eurosport (it was in English but the post race show was in German!). I have to say that except for the abundance of commercials OLN is better. The announcers are better, the pieces on the riders and the history are better, etc. I would love to get Eurosport for all of the other races that we don't get live on OLN, but i like OLN.

Not me. I think OLN did a very good job on the Tour and I really think their classics coverage, thus far, is good. Having Paul and Phil is crucial. But man, I'd much rather watch coverage without the constant "Lance rides the Tour, 2005" **** and the almost constant commercials.

tcklyde said:
Not me. I think OLN did a very good job on the Tour and I really think their classics coverage, thus far, is good. Having Paul and Phil is crucial. But man, I'd much rather watch coverage without the constant "Lance rides the Tour, 2005" **** and the almost constant commercials.
I don't mind the Lance stuff, but the commercials!!!!:mad: Last summer, I don't know who the commontator was with Sean Kelly, but he was just plain bad and of course Kelly can barely be understood, between the mumbling and the brogue(and i am one of those people who laughs when people need subtitles for an interview with Oasis or an English movie!)

Will they be doing any coverage in HD this year on OLN?
Last year, I only saw a "Lance prepares for the Tour" special in HD, but the actual tour coverage wasn't shot on HD cameras.

Also, regarding Discovery/OLN - I had heard that Discovery owns OLN or at least has some sort of partnership arrangement.

OLN is a sponsor of the Discovery Team, but has no other affiliation that I know of. The story about them buying OLNwas as true as the one about **** Pound becoming head of the UCI...April Fools Jokes.

Clark six8 said:
Will they be doing any coverage in HD this year on OLN?
Last year, I only saw a "Lance prepares for the Tour" special in HD, but the actual tour coverage wasn't shot on HD cameras.

Also, regarding Discovery/OLN - I had heard that Discovery owns OLN or at least has some sort of partnership arrangement.

Like most coverage, OLN just commentates of the video feed from the motorbikes. Not up to them about HD.

why do OLN provide the english language coverage on the official tour website? Eurosport would do a much better job :p

I live in Australia, and quite amazingly, one of our free to air channels, SBS, has bought the rights to show the TdF live. In doing so, they are the only english speaking nation in a position to show it free to air.

Considering cycling is not huge in this country, though it's getting more coverage now, I think this is amazing.