DIY bike rack?

ellis

Guest
Anybody banged together a home made bike rack for apt or garage, and got a
suggestion as to what to do? My landlord's complaining about too many bikes
in the hallway, and I need to do something, like putting a hanging rack in
the basement. It needs to hang four bikes. Rather than dole out cash for
Minoura bike tree or something (I'll need two), I can see getting some 2 x
4s and some rubberized bike hooks I saw, but that's about where I am
stumped.

Thanks.

"ellis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anybody banged together a home made bike rack for apt or garage, and got a
> suggestion as to what to do? My landlord's complaining about too many

bikes
> in the hallway, and I need to do something, like putting a hanging rack in
> the basement. It needs to hang four bikes. Rather than dole out cash for
> Minoura bike tree or something (I'll need two), I can see getting some 2 x
> 4s and some rubberized bike hooks I saw, but that's about where I am
> stumped.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...1&prev=/images?q=bike+hook&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

Yeah these are great , ya dont even need a 2x4 if you screw them into the
studs (use a studfinder)

16 inch on center is just about right to put a few bikes next to each other

Ozman Trad wrote:

> Yeah these are great , ya dont even need a 2x4 if you screw them into
> the studs (use a studfinder)

Like Monique's gonna let THAT go.

Bill "neener-neener" S.

On 2004-08-10, S o r n i penned:
> Ozman Trad wrote:
>
>> Yeah these are great , ya dont even need a 2x4 if you screw them into
>> the studs (use a studfinder)

> Like Monique's gonna let THAT go.
>
> Bill "neener-neener" S.

I didn't even see it =/ Must be slipping.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

> > Anybody banged together a home made bike rack for apt or garage, and got
> > suggestion as to what to do? My landlord's complaining about too many

> bikes
> > in the hallway, and I need to do something, like putting a hanging rack

in
> > the basement. It needs to hang four bikes. Rather than dole out cash

for
> > Minoura bike tree or something (I'll need two), I can see getting some 2

> > 4s and some rubberized bike hooks I saw, but that's about where I am
> > stumped.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...1&prev=/images?q=bike+hook&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

> Yeah these are great , ya dont even need a 2x4 if you screw them into the
> studs (use a studfinder)
>
> 16 inch on center is just about right to put a few bikes next to each

other

I hung a 2x4 with 4 hooks in the wall in my garage. Then the first bike
hangs by the rear wheel, second by front, and so on. Works well, except
that I bought some cheapo hooks at OSH that bend way to easy. I need to get
some heavy duty ones.

-Derek

"ellis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anybody banged together a home made bike rack for apt or garage, and got a
> suggestion as to what to do? My landlord's complaining about too many

bikes
> in the hallway, and I need to do something, like putting a hanging rack in
> the basement. It needs to hang four bikes. Rather than dole out cash for
> Minoura bike tree or something (I'll need two), I can see getting some 2 x
> 4s and some rubberized bike hooks I saw, but that's about where I am
> stumped.
>
> Thanks.

Here is a novel idea! ( In my most smart assed tone) To your landlord....of
course.... How about having he/she build you one. Takes the ball out of
your hands. Or park a car in the hallway. Get an xtra cycle.

TJ
www.gvii.net/hundtoft