DIY interior bike mounts?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Scott, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Hi. I'm new to this group, so I apologize if this is off-topic.

    Has anyone come up with a good, simple way to transport bikes in the back of an SUV? I'm trying to
    use Yakima's block sets to hold the bike's fork, maybe bolting them onto a 2x4 or a piece of angle
    iron. There has to be a way to do this cheap. Any suggestions?

    Thanks in Advance, Scott Beat-Up Tassajara, Beat-Up Explorer

    Tags:

  2. This is how I transport 2 bikes in a Honda wagon:

    1. Open rear hatch
    2. Throw in first bike
    3. Cover with old filthy bedspread or quilt to prevent scratching.
    4. Put second bike on top.
    5. Shut lid. Drive. Unload. Enjoy. ;-)

    Steve

  3. On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 19:53:32 GMT, "scott" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi. I'm new to this group, so I apologize if this is off-topic.
    >
    >Has anyone come up with a good, simple way to transport bikes in the back of an SUV? I'm trying to
    >use Yakima's block sets to hold the bike's fork, maybe bolting them onto a 2x4 or a piece of angle
    >iron. There has to be a way to do this cheap. Any suggestions?

    Delta fork mounts are cheaper than the Yakima versions. I moved bikes in the back of my pickup for
    years with two Delta "Bike Hitches" bolted to a 2x6. If you angle the mounts slightly, you can mount
    them closer together.

    Barry

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > This is how I transport 2 bikes in a Honda wagon:
    >
    > 1. Open rear hatch
    > 2. Throw in first bike
    > 3. Cover with old filthy bedspread or quilt to prevent scratching.
    > 4. Put second bike on top.
    > 5. Shut lid. Drive. Unload. Enjoy. ;-)
    >
    > Steve

    he he, the art of simplicity.

    i haven't the pleasure of large storage space within my car, so i have to grab my trunk rack, open
    the trunk, hook the metal things over the trunk lip, close the trunk (rack hits bumper and this
    pushes it up bringing tension into the straps, kind of handy really), then set the bike on, use the
    straps to secure it, drive, untie straps, unload, and then i can enjoy.
    --
    ~Travis

  5. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:0B5Fa.35839$A%[email protected]...
    > Hi. I'm new to this group, so I apologize if this is off-topic.
    >
    > Has anyone come up with a good, simple way to transport bikes in the back
    of
    > an SUV? I'm trying to use Yakima's block sets to hold the bike's fork, maybe bolting them onto a
    > 2x4 or a piece of angle iron. There has to be a way to do this cheap. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance, Scott Beat-Up Tassajara, Beat-Up Explorer

    I have. I'll take pictures of it later and post 'em up.

    Jon Bond

  6. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > This is how I transport 2 bikes in a Honda wagon:
    >
    > 1. Open rear hatch
    > 2. Throw in first bike
    > 3. Cover with old filthy bedspread or quilt to prevent scratching.
    > 4. Put second bike on top.
    > 5. Shut lid. Drive. Unload. Enjoy. ;-)
    >
    > Steve

    I was going to say almost exactly the same thing :)

    1. Open rear hatch.
    2. Insert bicycle.
    3. Layer old rug/towels on top.
    4. Insert bicycle.
    5. Close hatch.

  7. D H

    D H Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 19:53:32 GMT, "scott" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi. I'm new to this group, so I apologize if this is off-topic.
    > >
    > >Has anyone come up with a good, simple way to transport bikes in the back
    of
    > >an SUV? I'm trying to use Yakima's block sets to hold the bike's fork, maybe bolting them onto a
    > >2x4 or a piece of angle iron. There has to be a way to do this cheap. Any suggestions?
    > >

    > Delta fork mounts are cheaper than the Yakima versions. I moved bikes in the back of my pickup for
    > years with two Delta "Bike Hitches" bolted to a 2x6. If you angle the mounts slightly, you can
    > mount them closer together.
    >
    > Barry

    I did the same thing you describe and Barry did, except I had each Delta fork mount on a
    different piece of simple One By (1x6 or 1x8 or whatever), which allowed me to easily slide the
    different bikes around inside my Subaru Forester to arrange as needed. Using a 1x instead of 2x
    also means the fork mount is even lower in case your overhead space is tight and you need all
    you can get. I was able to haul both MTB and road bike with just removing the seatpost and front
    wheel. Once I got a Yakima roof rack, the old setup got little use, but occasionally I still use
    it if I have to travel a long distance in nasty weather and have the interior space to spare
    anyway. It certainly is more secure inside also, if that is an issue.
    --
    Off to ride the mountains, Dale Heath Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

  8. Rob

    Rob Guest

    > Westie says:
    >
    > >I was going to say almost exactly the same thing :)
    >
    > Great minds and all that - even if one of them is on the wrong side of the world. ;-)
    >
    > Steve

    That's OK Steve we wont hold it against you.