DIY interior bike mounts?

Scott

Guest
Hi. I'm new to this group, so I apologize if this is off-topic.

Has anyone come up with a good, simple way to transport bikes in the back of an SUV? I'm trying to
use Yakima's block sets to hold the bike's fork, maybe bolting them onto a 2x4 or a piece of angle
iron. There has to be a way to do this cheap. Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance, Scott Beat-Up Tassajara, Beat-Up Explorer

This is how I transport 2 bikes in a Honda wagon:

1. Open rear hatch
2. Throw in first bike
3. Cover with old filthy bedspread or quilt to prevent scratching.
4. Put second bike on top.
5. Shut lid. Drive. Unload. Enjoy. ;-)

Steve

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 19:53:32 GMT, "scott" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi. I'm new to this group, so I apologize if this is off-topic.
>
>Has anyone come up with a good, simple way to transport bikes in the back of an SUV? I'm trying to
>use Yakima's block sets to hold the bike's fork, maybe bolting them onto a 2x4 or a piece of angle
>iron. There has to be a way to do this cheap. Any suggestions?

Delta fork mounts are cheaper than the Yakima versions. I moved bikes in the back of my pickup for
years with two Delta "Bike Hitches" bolted to a 2x6. If you angle the mounts slightly, you can mount
them closer together.

Barry

Stephen Baker <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> This is how I transport 2 bikes in a Honda wagon:
>
> 1. Open rear hatch
> 2. Throw in first bike
> 3. Cover with old filthy bedspread or quilt to prevent scratching.
> 4. Put second bike on top.
> 5. Shut lid. Drive. Unload. Enjoy. ;-)
>
> Steve

he he, the art of simplicity.

i haven't the pleasure of large storage space within my car, so i have to grab my trunk rack, open
the trunk, hook the metal things over the trunk lip, close the trunk (rack hits bumper and this
pushes it up bringing tension into the straps, kind of handy really), then set the bike on, use the
straps to secure it, drive, untie straps, unload, and then i can enjoy.
--
~Travis

"scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:0B5Fa.35839$A%[email protected]...
> Hi. I'm new to this group, so I apologize if this is off-topic.
>
> Has anyone come up with a good, simple way to transport bikes in the back
of
> an SUV? I'm trying to use Yakima's block sets to hold the bike's fork, maybe bolting them onto a
> 2x4 or a piece of angle iron. There has to be a way to do this cheap. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in Advance, Scott Beat-Up Tassajara, Beat-Up Explorer

I have. I'll take pictures of it later and post 'em up.

Jon Bond

> This is how I transport 2 bikes in a Honda wagon:
>
> 1. Open rear hatch
> 2. Throw in first bike
> 3. Cover with old filthy bedspread or quilt to prevent scratching.
> 4. Put second bike on top.
> 5. Shut lid. Drive. Unload. Enjoy. ;-)
>
> Steve

I was going to say almost exactly the same thing :)

1. Open rear hatch.
2. Insert bicycle.
3. Layer old rug/towels on top.
4. Insert bicycle.
5. Close hatch.

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/a@> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 19:53:32 GMT, "scott" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hi. I'm new to this group, so I apologize if this is off-topic.
> >
> >Has anyone come up with a good, simple way to transport bikes in the back
of
> >an SUV? I'm trying to use Yakima's block sets to hold the bike's fork, maybe bolting them onto a
> >2x4 or a piece of angle iron. There has to be a way to do this cheap. Any suggestions?
> >

> Delta fork mounts are cheaper than the Yakima versions. I moved bikes in the back of my pickup for
> years with two Delta "Bike Hitches" bolted to a 2x6. If you angle the mounts slightly, you can
> mount them closer together.
>
> Barry

I did the same thing you describe and Barry did, except I had each Delta fork mount on a
different piece of simple One By (1x6 or 1x8 or whatever), which allowed me to easily slide the
different bikes around inside my Subaru Forester to arrange as needed. Using a 1x instead of 2x
also means the fork mount is even lower in case your overhead space is tight and you need all
you can get. I was able to haul both MTB and road bike with just removing the seatpost and front
wheel. Once I got a Yakima roof rack, the old setup got little use, but occasionally I still use
it if I have to travel a long distance in nasty weather and have the interior space to spare
anyway. It certainly is more secure inside also, if that is an issue.
--
Off to ride the mountains, Dale Heath Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

> Westie says:
>
> >I was going to say almost exactly the same thing :)
>
> Great minds and all that - even if one of them is on the wrong side of the world. ;-)
>
> Steve

That's OK Steve we wont hold it against you.