Do brake booster help braking on SID forks?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, May 22, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi, got some vibration and slip with my xtr vbrakes on my Rock Shox SIDs.

    Does anyone have any experience with adding a brake booster using this set up?

    I was thinking about ordering one of Nashbars or Performance's Cheapy Carbon Fiber jobbies. Will
    that work just as well as any other mor expensive booster?

    Thanks for the info...

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, got some vibration and slip with my xtr vbrakes on my Rock Shox SIDs.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with adding a brake booster using this set up?
    >
    > I was thinking about ordering one of Nashbars or Performance's Cheapy
    Carbon
    > Fiber jobbies. Will that work just as well as any other mor expensive booster?
    >
    > Thanks for the info...

    IMHO, brake boosters do nothing, especially cheap ones. Try the usual brake maintenance and see
    where that gets you.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Hi, got some vibration and slip with my xtr vbrakes on my
    Rock Shox SIDs.

    > Does anyone have any experience with adding a brake
    booster using this set
    > up?
    >
    > I was thinking about ordering one of Nashbars or
    Performance's Cheapy Carbon
    > Fiber jobbies. Will that work just as well as any other
    mor expensive
    > booster?
    >
    > Thanks for the info...

    Spend your money on some good brake pads instead. Kool Stop "salmon" are the best, with the black
    ones being second best. Shimano brake pads suck.

    Matt O.

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, got some vibration and slip with my xtr vbrakes on my Rock Shox SIDs.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with adding a brake booster using this set up?
    >
    > I was thinking about ordering one of Nashbars or Performance's Cheapy
    Carbon
    > Fiber jobbies. Will that work just as well as any other mor expensive booster?
    >
    > Thanks for the info...

    I put moonlighter titanium brake boosters on my old Judy C, although mostly because the frame was
    flexing, not the fork. However, there was definiltey a difference, both visible and tactile. I'm not
    sure if it made them "stronger" persay, but the feeling at the lever was definitely less mushy.

    Unfortunately, you can't get those beauties anymore. I've seen other boosters that were just flexy
    pieces of scrap metal. Hell, you could make them flex by grabbing the two sides and pulling! Its
    worth a try, boosters aren't too expensive. If you don't like 'em, I'm sure you could find somebody
    to sell 'em to on ebay or somethink.

    Jon Bond

  5. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2003 23:12:48 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Unfortunately, you can't get those beauties anymore. I've seen other boosters that were just flexy
    >pieces of scrap metal.

    My brake booster (Habanero MTB, AMP F3 fork) is home-made from a piece of flat carbon fibre sheet.
    It's easy enough to make, and because it's custom made for the fork, I don't need any adjustment on
    the bolt spacing. Most of the commercial brake boosters have a slotted hole here, which is a bit of
    a disaster for rigidity.

  6. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Andy Dingley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 22 May 2003 23:12:48 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Unfortunately, you can't get those beauties anymore. I've seen other boosters that were just
    > >flexy pieces of scrap metal.
    >
    > My brake booster (Habanero MTB, AMP F3 fork) is home-made from a piece of flat carbon fibre sheet.
    > It's easy enough to make, and because it's custom made for the fork, I don't need any adjustment
    > on the bolt spacing. Most of the commercial brake boosters have a slotted hole here, which is a
    > bit of a disaster for rigidity.

    As long as you clamp it down tight enough, its fine. I just took mine off to examine it, and its got
    a fairly defined circle where the bolt is. Only had a problem once when the bolt came loose on me
    after being on for a couple years, and I probably wouldn't have known if it wasn't for the booster
    looking strange and outta whack. That would have been an ugly fall...

    Jon Bond

  7. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    "S. Anderson" <[email protected]>

    > IMHO, brake boosters do nothing, especially cheap ones. Try the usual brake maintenance and see
    > where that gets you.

    You must be lightweight or else very easy on your brakes.

    I have used boosters for years, and every time I try to go without, I wind up installing another
    one. A good firm squeeze at the lever shows that brake studs and arms flex _lots_ even before rim
    drag is added to the equation. I have never found a canti-stud-mounted brake that did not provide
    considerably more braking force when a booster was added and the brake adjusted to match.

    If that amount of braking force is more than you can use, then a booster will not help you. Heavy
    riders like me can benefit from the use of brake boosters, as can riders of tandems, LWB 'bents, and
    cargo bikes.

    Chalo Colina