Do Floor Pumps Break ? What Is Going On Here?

NJAgent020

Apr 3, 2015
I figure a floor pump is a pretty basic piece of equipment. I mean you buy one with a pressure gauge (mine is a Giant brand floor pump), and you pump the damn thing. Even a basic one should last a decade, right? I got mine in July 2013 at the Giant bike shop in Montreal while on vacation. I forget what I spent- probably between 20 and 40.

Lately, after a couple pumps, the pressure meter shoots all the way to the max, and its impossible for me to press down the pump handle.

I unhook it start again, and the pressure gauge goes back to the accurate reading- after a couple pumps- same thing.

Is there a subtle bit of technique I am missing with the presta valve? I am not doing anything different than I have been doing over the past 2 years.

Are floor pumps more fragile than I thought? Is this what happens when pumps break?

Do i really have to invest some money into a "quality" bike pump if I expect it to last a few years?

Any insight would be helpful.

Sounds like you're not getting the air chuck head fully seated on the presta valve, so that your gauge is just reading the pressure in the hose. Doubt there is anything wrong with your pump. If there is a compression nut on the end of the chuck, try loosening it a bit to allow the chuck to fully seat down on the stem.

But overall, the answer is yes, everything breaks, or can break. In my experience, the pumps I use at home a few times a week last "forever". The more expensive ones have better gauges and better chucks, and just work easier. Paying more for a pump might get you a longer-lasting item, or might not.

Yup, for sure, everything breaks, especially in the day and age of "made in China" and "disposable".

Check to make sure the chuck is on the Presta valve stem correctly, but like you said...two years experience kind of kills that theory.

The pump's check valve may be stuck. Some pumps have a check valve that can be accessed and some do not. Take a look if you're mechanically inclined.

"Do i really have to invest some money into a "quality" bike pump if I expect it to last a few years?"

While no one need speed the $450 the new artsy fartsy Silca U.S.A. model costs, a decent pump does seem to be priced in the $50-$100 area these days. If you can buy a NOS or good used Silca Italian-made track pump, go for it! Spare parts are available and with simple rebuilds for new chuck and piston seals they will last a lifetime (I'm still using the one I bought in the late 1970's or early 1980's).

Remember being able to get spare parts (chucks) for the pump that you bought at the local bike store? I tossed a perfectly good vintage Silca, the shop thought I was crazy. Who fixes pumps. Just buy a new one. The new ones did not last. The latest one from Lezyne has been good for the past year

Quote by Weatherby:
"I tossed a perfectly good vintage Silca, the shop thought I was crazy."

Damn!

"Who fixes pumps."

I do...if they are 'worth' fixing. And in my estimation the Silca Italian track pumps are WELL worth repairing! They are one of the few things in cycling that are still rebuildable. The American owner that purchased the Italian firm Silca Pompe still catalogs all the wear items.

http://silca.cc/collections/all-silca

Even a dented Silca Columbus steel pump tube can be ball-sized back to like new in a couple minutes time.

I have a 1975 Medai Top Super that still functions perfectly. And you can buy an almost exact Chicom replica of the Medai pump today. The quality of the Chicom clone is good enough to make it through a couple decades of use as the pump tossed in the car on race day.

i_medai_full.jpg

Birzman? Lezyne? SKS? All decent products.

Dear CampyBob, I'm looking at the shapely lines of your pump and I covet it. Just look at that handle! And the lovely hose and pressure guage!

Bob

NJAgent020 said:
Lately, after a couple pumps, the pressure meter shoots all the way to the max, and its impossible for me to press down the pump handle.
The pressure gauge shooting up and the back pressure from the handle are caused by pressure from the tire backing up into the pump. That means the valve isn't holding it back.

When this has happened to me, it was usually because I was pushing the chuck too far down on the valve. The chuck prevents the pressure inside the tire from closing the the core. Some chucks behave this way and some don't.

When you press the chuck onto the valve, don't push it until it stops. Just press it far enough to get a good seal--to the point where the gauge registers residual pressure in the tire should work.

Oh yeah they break. You have to be careful to use them properly and many of the low end models aren't even worth buying. If you can spend some money you can get a decent sturdy model.

I wish I had 400 to 500 to spend on something like a pump. That would be pretty sweet. For now I just have to settle for being careful with cheaper equipment.

You did undo the nut on the inner tube valve, right? What happens when you try and inflate your tire with a regular hand pump?

This sounds more like user error or a valve problem.

I highly recommend the Specialized Comp pump. It's better than my old Silca was. Used in conjunction with the Specialized turbo in innertubes with the smooth valve stems, you get years of effortless inflation where you never need to worry about the chuck blowing off the valve stem requiring you to hold with one hand while you pump with the other. The action of the locking lever and the "mystery innards" of the chuck release a small amount of air from the tube into the pump as well as providing a very secure connection. The barrel is large too - gets my 25C's on 25mm wide rims up to pressure real quick.

Spesh, while in their favor it does offer 'some' service parts for their pumps, gets a lot of crappy reviews of their pumps...the Comp model included. Spelling errors are from the user reviews.

"Not durable. Pump lasted less than 6 months prior to developing leak between nozzle and hose connection. Replacement parts (new hose with nozzle) unavailable. Had to throw pump away.
Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this to a friend."

"I have had this pump for six months and already is not working. The head is very cheap and needs to be made of a more hardy material. I would not recomend this one.

"I have had this for just about two years and don't use it all that much - I went to clamp on a shrader and the head crumbled at the pivot point.

"It takes forever to get a good seal on a Presta valve with this pump. It takes 6-7 times to get it right and sometimes I can never get it to inflate. I thought it was me for awhile, but I've been reading about a lot of people having the same problem!

"I found this pump very difficult to use, which lead to lots of frustration. The problem I was having with this pump was, it was VERY difficult to attatch to the presta valve. It took 5-6 times before it actually started working. I would take it off, re-adjust, and tried to inflate my tire only to have it not work at all. Finally after many attempts, it would finally work and I could inflate my tire.

Yes, there are good reviews for it, but filter out the Spesh fanbois and the negatives from folks that could break an anvil with a rubber hammer and it still comes off as Meh. The aluminum barrel is easily dented, rendering the pump trash or in need of someone able to ball-size it. A friend ended his in just that fashion.

Full disclosure mode: I generally like Spesh products. From their shoes to their Tarmacs, they usually put out high quality stuff.

I've used Serfas pumps for years. Current one is the FP-200, about 3 years old. Great chuck head and gauge, would recommend to anyone looking for a quality pump for around $50 retail.

dhk2 said:
I've used Serfas pumps for years. Current one is the FP-200, about 3 years old. Great chuck head and gauge, would recommend to anyone looking for a quality pump for around $50 retail.
I like that one, too. Just don't try to lube the washer with teflon-based grease. I did that. When I called the service department to replace the washer, Serfas just sent me a new on.

The world doesn't make anything as good as they use to be made, but you went to a Giant store, there you could have gotten one of the best, if not the best, pump on the market, the Giant Control Tower Pro floor pump. This pump is so good that even if you accidentally dent it you can still use it.

There are other really nice floor pumps on the market for less than the above, like the Lezyne Alloy, or the Specialized Airtool, or the Topeak Joe Blow Sport II, or the Serfas TCPG.