Do I need more volume

11ring

Apr 22, 2006
So, the sun is out and training begins. Anyway, i have started a minimalist training schedule. Criticise away.

Monday 45 min tt pace
Tuesday 45-60 min tempo
Wed 60km ride, tempo
Thursday nothing
Friday nothing
Sat Race
Sun nothing, or maybe 80 km bunch ride

Wed and sunday are my only days off work. So they are the only option for the long rides.

I'm no expert but three intense workouts with no recovery days in between would be to much for me.

11ring said:
So, the sun is out and training begins. Anyway, i have started a minimalist training schedule. Criticise away.

Monday 45 min tt pace
Tuesday 45-60 min tempo
Wed 60km ride, tempo
Thursday nothing
Friday nothing
Sat Race

Wed and sunday are my only days off work. So they are the only option for the long rides.

Not to change your actual workouts, I'd reorganise this way.

Monday: nothing.
Tues: your monday (add 10 min warm up and 10 min cool down)
Wed: your Tues
Thurs: Recovery ride (60min below tempo)
Fri: nothing (or very short easy spin)
Sat: Race
Sunday: 80km bunch ride or long solo

as you accumelate miles, youll find ways to increase TT pace workouts and decrease tempo

11ring said:

Monday 45 min tt pace
Tuesday 45-60 min tempo
Wed 60km ride, tempo
Thursday nothing
Friday nothing
Sat Race

Your volume should decrease during race season. Without knowing what it was before it's impossible to answer your question.

Has been not much at all, odd sunday bunch ride and random rides.

kuan said:
Your volume should decrease during race season. Without knowing what it was before it's impossible to answer your question.

Frankly, looks like race day for you is just an excuse to show off your legs. ;)

I think you should just replace a tempo with an interval session and have a nice easy day after. Sharpen up your sprints.