Do serious cyclist drink?

I knew some serious drinkers that cycled, not for health reasons though.

Mostly for suspended or revoked drivers licenses and totaled drunkmobiles.:p

CravinMorehead said:
I knew some serious drinkers that cycled, not for health reasons though.

Mostly for suspended or revoked drivers licenses and totaled drunkmobiles.:p
I have never had a driving licence the test instructor failed me, i did everything okey up to the point of loosing my temper and hurtling abuse at another driver and the test instructor asked me to return to the test centre with a fail.

:eek:

For this rider serious drinking does not mix with serious cycling.

Twice I had six beers the night or day before a ride and I got sick (cruds, sniffles, congestion, sneezing, etc.). I usually got sick the following day or two days after the ride.

I was down about a week to two weeks after drinking. I could not ride in this ill state.

So, serious drinking does not meet with my physical condition.

A serious cyclist like me should not drink before a ride.

I prefer to ride than drink.

Catrike Road #116

"Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use"--Author unknown

I never really enjoyed drinking alcoholic drinks, although it can be fun when your with your buds. I have no addiction to it, and can't see how anyone could.
I have not had a drink in almost 2 years. I am still 1 year below the legal age, 21.

I find it strange that it is unanimous that pros don't drink during the season. I was at the tulsa tough a few weeks ago and after the pro/cat 1 race every single rider, including the united healthcare guys, had a beer before they got off their bikes, not an exaggeration.

Originally Posted by kesteban87 .

I find it strange that it is unanimous that pros don't drink during the season. I was at the tulsa tough a few weeks ago and after the pro/cat 1 race every single rider, including the united healthcare guys, had a beer before they got off their bikes, not an exaggeration.

Who were the 2 guys that got the boot a couple years back for being out carousing during a week-long race? I'm pretty sure it was Andy Schleck, can't recall the teammate though. IIRC the team at the time was Saxo.

I don't know that I qualify as "serious" - I commute every day to work, and have been lagging on the road rides this year due to a goofy schedule, but I rode 1500+ mi last yr.

Anyway, I generally view it as cycling helps burn off the excesses, because I love my beer (I don't drink regularly or heavily, but I used to and have no philosophical opposition to anyone doing so).

I raced for 15 years and still ride everyday and almost every day I have a glass of wine with my dinner--I think moderation is the key and when you ride make sure you are well hydrated bc alcohol can partly dehydrate your body

If they do drink they shouldn't because for an athlete especially that is an inappropriate thing because as we all know for a fact it causes strange kinda things with the body which we shouldn't experience,It should be avoided completely even in parties also this is how i feel.

A beer, some wine, or some other intoxicant now and again doesn't hurt. Hell, teams are known, for example, to celebrate stage wins and the like with some wine, champaign, or etc at dinner at night.

When I competed I never went near a drop of alcohol at all.
That meant never drinking one drop of alcohol between the age 15-29. Social life was non-existent in reality.

Perhaps it was just me but I actually felt that if I had a drink it would detract.
Looking back I was obsessive about preparation and trying to drain every last ounce of effort/talent that I could muster.

Originally Posted by Camren2 .

If they do drink they shouldn't because for an athlete especially that is an inappropriate thing because as we all know for a fact it causes strange kinda things with the body which we shouldn't experience,It should be avoided completely even in parties also this is how i feel.
Any comments?

http://www.nitin360.com/the-truth-about-physical-therapy-billing.html

Originally Posted by Jenniferawhile .

In moderation, it's ok
This is true, the issue some people have though, is they can't keep it at moderate levels. My brother is a prime example of some who escalates his drinking pretty quickly once he starts. I probably only drink once or twice a year if i'm lucky. Thinking about it now, I haven't had a drop all year.
cool.png

Originally Posted by MountainPro .

I usually go out on friday evening after work with my wife and a few friends. I get home usually about 12 after having 6 pints of beer or so. This is the only time i drink. I get up at 7 am on a satureday for a cycle and usually feel like ****. I dont drink on a saturday because i always do a serious ride on a sunday. The difference between the two days is staggering.

I am aware of the health effects of alcohol and recently didnt have any drink for 6 weeks. I didnt miss it at all. I just felt anti social. My fitness improved after the exesses of the festive period and i needed to lose weight so giving up the booze really worked.

If you drink exessively and do 400 KMs per week and want us to tell you that its okay, then you'll be disappointed. Its not good for your mind and body. The deterioration of your liver may not be apparent right now but at some time you'll feel the effects of liver failure and it may not be til you are in your older years.

400Kms a week and youre only 'fairly fit'? 400Kms with only a few drinks a week and you'll be a whole lot fitter, stronger, less tired and mentally stronger. (you already knew this before you asked the question)
6 Pints.. Wholly ****!!! No Wonder you feel like **** the next morning,,, I am surprised you can even get out of bed...
I use to drink beer in my younger days when in lived in Germany. Now that I am older and have a job/mortgage/bills/bills/bills I only drink really good Booze(Crown Royal Reserve/Remy Martin VSOP) and so on. Plus I only drink 1 or maybe 2 at a time and only once a week or every two weeks. I can tell if I drank crappy booze and crappy beer from the night before and try to get up and ride. I would recommend you change the amount of what you drink with better quality. That much beer adds serious weight, and to be hauling it up the side of a mountain or trying to keep the tempo in a pace line on saturday morning.