Do YOU lift weigts?

john63401

Guest
Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.

I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?

Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".

Advice?

> Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.
>
> I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?
>
> Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".
>
> Advice?

Apparently this should come with a bit of a warning, but I like to think its educational:

http://rbp.f0e.net/forum.php3?d=1479&t=032603

[email protected] wrote:
> Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.

> I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.

> Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?

> Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".

> Advice?

My $0.05 ...

Technique is important, and hard to learn from book (or web) diagrams. It might be better to start
at a gym that will teach technique and then shift to your own equipment later. They should help you
avoid injury, and find the most productive exercises for your goals.

[email protected] wrote:

> Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.
>
> I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?
>
> Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".
>
> Advice?

Don't buy sand filled weights--get real iron/steel ones. Buy them used at a garage sell. Lift with a
buddy--it's much safer.

--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

>Don't buy sand filled weights--get real iron/steel ones. Buy them used at a garage sell. Lift with
>a buddy--it's much safer.

I need a bench

What to buy? I need a recommendation on brand/model

john63401 wrote:

> I need a bench
>
> What to buy? I need a recommendation on brand/model

It depends on your needs and space availability. If you going to be lifting alone, then a power cage
is really the only way to go. Getting pinned under a bar while benching is no fun, let alone the
chance to drop one on your face or throat. Plus a cage lets you squat which will offer the most
direct help for biking. How much do you want to spend? If you have $500 to put to it, you can get a
power cage, utility bench, 300# of olympic weights (w/7' bar) and a plate tree. That will keep you
covered for a while, the only thing you might add is an EZ curl bar for $25. If you have strong legs
you may need to pick up another pair of 45# plates (~$40 for both) later for squats.

http://tinyurl.com/fuez (http://www.esportsales.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/cgi-local/products.cg
i?U+scstore+mbgd6306ffe2e7e2+product=PC-850)

As far as I know, this is the best deal you'll get on a power cage. Under $300 shipped to you.
The utility bench can be found at Academy for $85, nad a Cap Barbell set of olympic weights is
$100 at Oshman's.

-will

In article <[email protected]>, john63401 @yahoo.com says...
> Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.
>
> I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?
>
> Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".
>
> Advice?

I do reps with 12 or 16 ounces. I try to repeat 2-3 times daily. So far - No Pain - Did Gain.

nk

>It depends on your needs and space availability. If you going to be lifting alone, then a power
>cage is really the only way to go. Getting pinned under a bar while benching is no fun, let alone
>the chance to drop one on your face or throat. Plus a cage lets you squat which will offer the most
>direct help for biking. How much do you want to spend? If you have $500 to put to it, you can get a
>power cage, utility bench, 300# of olympic weights (w/7' bar) and a plate tree. That will keep you
>covered for a while, the only thing you might add is an EZ curl bar for $25. If you have strong
>legs you may need to pick up another pair of 45# plates (~$40 for both) later for squats.

Hi Will...

Yes $500 is abt the range I was thinking.

And yes I will be lifting alone.

I don't have TOO much space... but some. A spare unused bedroom actually. So I do want to keep
things as compact as possible.

I hadn't thought abt the power cage. Good idea.

I was just thinking a good bench only

More advice?

>My recommendation would be to save a few bucks and get a bench for dumbells only, not the kind
>which has a catch bar. Also get one that inclines to a 90deg. position, now you can do flat bench
>(w/ dumbells), incline and a shoulder workout. You won't need a spotter because you can just drop
>the weight to your sides, don't need a benching bar. Same bench for kneeled rows (I forget what
>they are called), nose breakers (for tris) ... all with only 2 dumbell bars, and a bunch of plates.

Actually it is exactly what I was thinking.... i,e, using dumb bells only! What do you think?

Especially since I am a rank beginner at this and want to start VERY VERY easy weight amounts.

Still tho....do you have a specific recommendation on such a bench to buy?

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> >My recommendation would be to save a few bucks and get a bench for
dumbells
> >only, not the kind which has a catch bar. Also get one that inclines to a 90deg. position, now
> >you can do flat bench (w/ dumbells), incline and a shoulder workout. You won't need a spotter
> >because you can just drop the weight to your sides, don't need a benching bar. Same bench for
> >kneeled rows (I forget what they are called), nose
breakers
> >(for tris) ... all with only 2 dumbell bars, and a bunch of plates.
>
> Actually it is exactly what I was thinking.... i,e, using dumb bells only! What do you think?
>
> Especially since I am a rank beginner at this and want to start VERY VERY easy weight amounts.
>
> Still tho....do you have a specific recommendation on such a bench to buy?

Let me go down stairs and see what mine is. . . . . Ok, I'm back, it s a Parabody. But I would not
get caught up in names. Just make sure it s reasonably sturdy.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

john63401 wrote:

> More advice?

The dumbbell info from Craig is good too. I have a full dumbbell rack (well 10#-50# pairs right now)
as well. Dumbbells are good because your arms are isolated, meaning you can't cheat by assisting
your weaker arm with your dominant. They'll also cause you to work stabilizers more. The
disadvantage is that it's extremely hard to lift heavier weights with dumbells alone. But then
really the only exercises you need big weights for are bench and squat. Bench can easily (and
arguably for the better) be replaced with a dip station. Squatting is really hard to replace though.
Nothing can match the growth hormone release and power building potential of squatting heavy.

-will

[email protected] wrote:

> Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".

Sorry, I don't do freeweights. Both my Physical Terrorist and my cousing who is also a P.T.
reccomend bicking up a used BowFlex, they say they are actually very good and can be had for very
chep on the used market.

--
John G. http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm

I use the bowflex also. New they are way to high but luckily mine was a gift. Anyway on the used
market you could get a good deal, w/ leg attachment. And they make a squat attachment which i got
also. I really enjoy it. The action is really smooth, and you can really max yourself out
w/out a partner.

Peace, Pilgrim

> > "machine".
>
> Sorry, I don't do freeweights. Both my Physical Terrorist and my cousing who is also a P.T.
> reccomend bicking up a used BowFlex, they say they are actually very good and can be had for very
> chep on the used market.
>

> --
> John G. http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm

>Sorry, I don't do freeweights. Both my Physical Terrorist and my cousing who is also a P.T.
>reccomend bicking up a used BowFlex, they say they are actually very good and can be had for very
>chep on the used market.

What abt the "CrossBow"?

Any thoughts on it?

I read up on it some last week. As best i could tell the consensus seemed to be that the x-bow was a
good machine. And though the bowflex might be of a little better quality certainly not worth $1000
more. If you have a sears locally go see if they have one in. The one here did.

Peace, Pilgrim

> >Sorry, I don't do freeweights. Both my Physical Terrorist and my cousing who is also a P.T.
> >reccomend bicking up a used BowFlex, they say they are actually very good and can be had for very
> >chep on the used market.
>
> What abt the "CrossBow"?
>
> Any thoughts on it?

Do you want to lift weights to become stronger overall and for it to be an activity that is only
indirectly connected to your bike riding? Or are specific exercises that will improve your pedaling
strength what you have in mind? These are questions you should consider.

I recommend the overall approach until you've developed an improved level of strength and
conditioning. Then, after you've gone through weightlifting basic training and your body is
ready for more demanding exercises, you could learn some biking-specific lifts. To start right
off with hard exercises that isolate muscle groups could be injurious. You need to begin with
some total-body workouts with light weights, that gently ease you into condition for harder and
more focused lifts later in your training.

Be prepared to lift weights over a long period of time (a lifetime, for example), if you want
the best results and to enjoy increased strength and ability indefinitely. It could be 6 months
to a year, before weightlifting actually increases your speed and climbing power on a bike.
Don't be discouraged if this new and demanding type of exercise actually decreases your riding
capabilties for awhile, until your body becomes accustomed to the new demands you put on it.
Perhaps this philosophy is not what many young and eager persons want to hear, but I have found
it to be true from long experience.

Steve McDonald

> Do you want to lift weights to become stronger overall and for it to be an activity that is only
> indirectly connected to your bike riding? Or are specific exercises that will improve your
> pedaling strength what you have in mind? These are questions you should consider.

I just want to do it to increase over all fitness..... not to increase my performance on the bike

> Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.
>
> I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?
>
> Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".
>
> Advice?

To get in shape for riding a bicycle, RIDE YOUR BIKE.

JD

in article [email protected], JD at [email protected] wrote on
7/3/03 10:54 AM:

> [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.
>>
>> I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.
>>
>> Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?
>>
>> Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".
>>
>> Advice?
>
> To get in shape for riding a bicycle, RIDE YOUR BIKE.
>
> JD
I do fork lifts. Some of the lifts are heavier than other depending on how much food is ON THE FORK.

Mtb "naturally buff" Chip (ain't that a laugh)

Have a safe 4th of July and continue the party until 6th of July!

[email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

>>It depends on your needs and space availability. If you going to be lifting alone, then a power
>>cage is really the only way to go. Getting pinned under a bar while benching is no fun, let alone
>>the chance to drop one on your face or throat. Plus a cage lets you squat which will offer the
>>most direct help for biking. How much do you want to spend? If you have $500 to put to it, you can
>>get a power cage, utility bench, 300# of olympic weights (w/7' bar) and a plate tree. That will
>>keep you covered for a while, the only thing you might add is an EZ curl bar for $25. If you have
>>strong legs you may need to pick up another pair of 45# plates (~$40 for both) later for squats.
>
> Hi Will...
>
> Yes $500 is abt the range I was thinking.
>
> And yes I will be lifting alone.
>
> I don't have TOO much space... but some. A spare unused bedroom actually. So I do want to keep
> things as compact as possible.
>
> I hadn't thought abt the power cage. Good idea.
>
> I was just thinking a good bench only
>
> More advice?

I would recommend getting a "Total gym 2000"I have one and it is great for upper body strenght
training. Not a whole lot of leg excercise you can do, but that's what the bike is for. I paid about
$200 for mine many years ago and It's held up great and is fairly safe for working out alone (unless
you are a complete idiot and wrap one of the handles around your neck or something).

Hmm, I think it was close to 10 years ago I bought it. Wow, I'm getting old!