Do YOU lift weigts?

john63401

Guest
Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.

I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?

Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".

Advice?

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:06:30 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.
>
>I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.
>
>Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?
>
>Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".
>
>Advice?

You need weights, a bar, a bench, and a power rack, one like this:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

You also need knowledge. Try:

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html

And start reading misc.fitness.weights .

--
Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

Start out by joining a gym for a few months. Take advantage of the trainers and muscleheads for
advice. After a while, you'll know what you use and what you don't.

Eric

> Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.
>
> I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?
>
> Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".
>
> Advice?

Scott's advice is excellent, but I thought I would point out that some folks do not have the room or
money for squat racks. Less space-consuming and pricey alternatives include: deadlifts and/or a leg
extension option for the bench.

"Top Sirloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:06:30 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.
> >
> >I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.
> >
> >Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?
> >
> >Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".
> >
> >Advice?
>
> You need weights, a bar, a bench, and a power rack, one like this:
>
> http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html
>
> You also need knowledge. Try:
>
> http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
>
> http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html
>
> And start reading misc.fitness.weights .
>

> --
> Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
> top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

> Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.
>
> I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?
>
> Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".
>
> Advice?

Hi, I lift regularily, with a friend who has a good selection of free weights, dumbbells and
barbells. If you are going to workout without a partner, consider starting with just dumbbells or
take a look at the Joe Weider weight machines. They are not of Nautlus quality, but are quite
acceptable. We recently chipped in, three of us, and bought a two station machine for $349 at
Dunhamn Sports. They have them for more and less. I like it, I can do a full workout, including Ab
crunches, leg presses, and all the usual. You could workout alone, very safely. Good luck, Jeff

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:00:21 -0700, "Review Boy" <review [email protected]> wrote:

>Scott's advice is excellent, but I thought I would point out that some folks do not have the room
>or money for squat racks. Less space-consuming and pricey alternatives include: deadlifts and/or a
>leg extension option for the bench.

Word. You can also clean the bar for front squats without a rack.

--

Scott Johnson "be a man ,stop looking for handouts , eat ,lift and shut your mouth" -John Carlo

Top Sirloin <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:06:30 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.
> >
> >I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.
> >
> >Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?
> >
> >Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".
> >
> >Advice?
>
> You need weights, a bar, a bench, and a power rack, one like this:

You DO NOT need a power rack...go get a good set of dumbbells and an adjustable bench...last you a
life time and will allow you to easily work every muscle. KISS....if you catch the bug you can
always upgrade or go to a gym...

>You DO NOT need a power rack...go get a good set of dumbbells and an adjustable bench...last you a
>life time and will allow you to easily work every muscle. KISS....if you catch the bug you can
>always upgrade or go to a gym...

OK

This is what Im thinking also. I want to keep this SIMPLE for now.

Im mainly looking to work out my upper body only anyway. Not to become a power lifter

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:04:28 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>>You DO NOT need a power rack...go get a good set of dumbbells and an adjustable bench...last you a
>>life time and will allow you to easily work every muscle. KISS....if you catch the bug you can
>>always upgrade or go to a gym...
>
>OK
>
>This is what Im thinking also. I want to keep this SIMPLE for now.
>
>Im mainly looking to work out my upper body only anyway. Not to become a power lifter

<Sigh> I suppose that you don't want to get huge as well!
Dr. Dickie Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438 Poking kooks with a pointy stick
====================================
"Let be be finale of seem. The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream" Wallace Stevens-1923
=====================================

"Dr_Dickie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:04:28 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >>You DO NOT need a power rack...go get a good set of dumbbells and an adjustable bench...last you
> >>a life time and will allow you to easily work every muscle. KISS....if you catch the bug you can
> >>always upgrade or go to a gym...
> >
> >OK
> >
> >This is what Im thinking also. I want to keep this SIMPLE for now.
> >
> >Im mainly looking to work out my upper body only anyway. Not to become a power lifter
>

> <Sigh> I suppose that you don't want to get huge as well!

Or develop amy functional brain cells.

>> I suppose that you don't want to get huge as well!
>
>Or develop amy functional brain cells.

Huh?

Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:

> Why would any cyclist want to bulk up? This was posted in a bicycle group, after all.

Maybe he cycles for general fitness instead of competition.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:32:38 -0700, Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:
>Dr_Dickie wrote:
>
>> >Im mainly looking to work out my upper body only anyway. Not to become a power lifter

>> I suppose that you don't want to get huge as well!
>
>Why would any cyclist want to bulk up? This was posted in a bicycle group, after all. Muscle mass
>is just more useless pounds to lug up the hills. Lance Armstrong wasn't even a contender until he
>got rid of all that bulk.

Yes, but *every* male wants to make parts of his anatomy huge, according to my fully
be-spammed inbox.

Jasper

In article <[email protected]>, john63401 @yahoo.com says...
> >You DO NOT need a power rack...go get a good set of dumbbells and an adjustable bench...last you
> >a life time and will allow you to easily work every muscle. KISS....if you catch the bug you can
> >always upgrade or go to a gym...
>
> OK
>
> This is what Im thinking also. I want to keep this SIMPLE for now.
>
> Im mainly looking to work out my upper body only anyway. Not to become a power lifter

Although... Squats will help your cycling and core body strength.

"Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dr_Dickie wrote:
>
> > >Im mainly looking to work out my upper body only anyway. Not to become a power lifter
> >
> > <Sigh> I suppose that you don't want to get huge as well!
>
> Why would any cyclist want to bulk up? This was posted in a bicycle group, after all. Muscle mass
> is just more useless pounds to lug up the hills. Lance Armstrong wasn't even a contender until he
> got rid of all that bulk.
> --

Well, the ultimate bicyclist's physique isn't ideal for everyday living, and (gasp!) bicycling isn't
everything. I'm 165lbs at 5'7.5", with a pretty low BMI (yes folks, I'm dense), but I ride pretty
fast. I'm also fairly strong off the bike. I'm not sure I'd like to give up either.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

On 3/7/03 2:02 PM, in article [email protected], "Terry Morse"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Dr_Dickie wrote:
>
>>> Im mainly looking to work out my upper body only anyway. Not to become a power lifter
>>
>> <Sigh> I suppose that you don't want to get huge as well!
>
> Why would any cyclist want to bulk up?

Maybe they want to win the Green Jersey (the points champion which means being a sprinter). Look at
Erik Zabel, he's a big boy.

> This was posted in a bicycle group, after all. Muscle mass
> is just more useless pounds to lug up the hills. Lance
> Armstrong wasn't even a contender until he got rid of all
> that bulk.

And he ain't never going to be a contender for the Green Jersey (unless he bulks up, though he
clearly isn't interested in that part of the Tour de France).

--

Robert M. Lewis Curiouser and curiouser.

I re-read the original post and reminded myself that he did not say that he wanted to bulk up. Where
did you get that from?

I gather that you don't lift weights, so you may not realize that there are training regimens for
power and training regimes for muscle size. In other words, one can lift weights for better muscle
tone without "bulking up". In fact, bulking up is extremely difficult for some folks, particularly
those who are slender to begin with.

"Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why would any cyclist want to bulk up? terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/

"Robert M. Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BB2B3918.838D%[email protected]...
> On 3/7/03 2:02 PM, in article [email protected], "Terry Morse"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> <Sigh> I suppose that you don't want to get huge as well!
> >
> > Why would any cyclist want to bulk up?

-> http://www.yegorova.com/a/01osg/0102029m.jpg I can assure she lifts weights! It really depends on
how you do it.

F.D.

this is solid advice..I cycle avidly and lift for my upper body as well. Hang at a place like the Y
or a gym with a good rep and you will meet folks who will share their knowledge dependant on your
goals. mto

Eric wrote:

> Start out by joining a gym for a few months. Take advantage of the trainers and muscleheads for
> advice. After a while, you'll know what you use and what you don't.
>
> Eric
>
> [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Id like to add some weight lifting to my bike riding.
> >
> > I know very little abt weight lifting tho. I also want to buys some basic home weight equip.
> >
> > Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand/model weight bench to buy?
> >
> > Im sticking with free weights. I don't think I want a "machine".
> >
> > Advice?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:32:38 -0700, Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dr_Dickie wrote:
>
>> >Im mainly looking to work out my upper body only anyway. Not to become a power lifter
>>
>> <Sigh> I suppose that you don't want to get huge as well!
>
>Why would any cyclist want to bulk up? This was posted in a bicycle group, after all. Muscle mass
>is just more useless pounds to lug up the hills. Lance Armstrong wasn't even a contender until he
>got rid of all that bulk.

To be able to pick up heavy stuff. To look good. To hammer little weenies into the ground on the
flats. To provide a nice leadout/draft for whoever is behind you. :)

--

Scott Johnson "be a man ,stop looking for handouts , eat ,lift and shut your mouth" -John Carlo