Doc Wants Me on Atkins

On 27 Mar 2006 00:42:53 GMT, [email protected] (Marilyn Matte)
wrote:

>Well, I was here, and I did well, and my bg numbers were good. And then I
>left, and well, I'm up a lot of weight and the bg numbers are not good.
>
>My doctor wants me back on this program, and I want to be here, too; I'm
>sick and tired of being sick and tired.
>
>Groceries in? check
>FitDay account reactiviated? check
>Confessional post to this newsgroup? check
>
>I'm back and it's for life.
>
>*Thank you* for being here.

Good to see you, Marilyn!

Peace,
Carol, who is just joining the fold again, too

"Marilyn Matte" <[email protected]> wrote in

> I'm back and it's for life.
>
> *Thank you* for being here.
>
> mmm
> 270/270/169

Sounds like you know what to do & have the motivation again.
It's just a matter of time, so how long have you given yourself to lose
100Lbs?

All the best!

DB
--
LC again since 1/14/06
277/249/220

says...
> Well, I was here, and I did well, and my bg numbers were good. And then I
> left, and well, I'm up a lot of weight and the bg numbers are not good.
>
> My doctor wants me back on this program, and I want to be here, too; I'm
> sick and tired of being sick and tired.
>
> Groceries in? check
> FitDay account reactiviated? check
> Confessional post to this newsgroup? check
>
> I'm back and it's for life.

Welcome back, Marilyn!

--
Saffire
205/136/125

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

"Cheri" (gserviceatinreachdotcom) writes:
> Welcome back Marilyn. I wish you much success.

Thank you, Cheri -- this feels right. I woke this morning with a sense
that I was in control for the first time in a long time.

mmm

"Roger Zoul" ([email protected]) writes:
> Glad you see you're back, Marilyn. Please stay!

That's my plan, Roger -- thanks for the warm welcome.

mmm
270/270/169

Damsel in dis Dress ([email protected]) writes:
> Good to see you, Marilyn!
> Peace,
> Carol, who is just joining the fold again, too

Thank you, Carol; it's great to see familiar names. Your welcome is
appreciated. We *can* do this.

mmm

Saffire ([email protected]) writes:
> Welcome back, Marilyn!

Thank you, Saffire! You, and your success, and your posts, are one of the
talisman's I'm hanging on to. (No pressure, just letting you know, I'm a
fan <grin>.)

mmm

"DB" ([email protected]) writes:
> Sounds like you know what to do & have the motivation again.
> It's just a matter of time, so how long have you given yourself to lose
> 100Lbs?

Thank you, DB. Thirteen months, actually -- my birthday in May of 2007.

mmm

Carol~

I also suffer from Binge Eating Disorder, or compulsive overeating. I opted
to attend OA instead of a therapist. The group has been really supportive
for me and it's free!

I have no trouble using Atkins as my food plan and letting the OA Program
help get my binge eating under control.

Have you ever considered it?

Tessy

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I had my annual physical today, and my doctor really, really didn't
> like the blood sugar readings I had collected. She knows that I did
> well on Atkins before, and she wants me to make it a permanent
> lifestyle. This is all about blood sugar control, so
>
> I have Binge Eating Disorder, and can't find a therapist less than 50
> miles away who has the faintest clue how to work with eating
> disorders. The cool thing about going back on Atkins is that I may
> occasionally eat something I shouldn't, but I don't eat drastic
> amounts of anything (besides vegetables).
>
> A half serving of steel cut oats at bedtime does a nice job of keeping
> things level overnight, and my fasting BG is lower on the mornings
> when I'd eating the oats than on the ones when I hadn't. My other
> low-carb sin is that I plan on eating an apple for my mid-morning and
> mid-afternoon snacks. With those "treats" as a planned part of my
> eating plan, I shouldn't feel deprived at all.
>
> And thank you, JC, for telling me about standing push-ups. I feel so
> good when I've done a bunch of those and some other exercises.
>
> Okay, gotta go set up an account on FitDay.
>
> Peace,
> Carol

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:20:37 GMT, "DAMION BROOKER"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I also suffer from Binge Eating Disorder, or compulsive overeating. I opted
>to attend OA instead of a therapist. The group has been really supportive
>for me and it's free!
>
>I have no trouble using Atkins as my food plan and letting the OA Program
>help get my binge eating under control.
>
>Have you ever considered it?

Hi Tessy,

Yes, I've gone to OA. A couple different groups. They tended to
discount bingers who didn't purge, and no one wanted to sponsor
someone who didn't have a "real" problem. What I have to do is get my
brain re-programmed to think about each bite and ask myself if it will
spin me out of control or not. You know how that goes.

A few weeks ago, I was going nuts, jonesing for a candy fix (I won't
mention which kind, in case it's a trigger for someone). I sent my
sweetie to the store for "the biggest bag they've got." He came home
with 4 pounds of the stuff. I consumed it all within 24 hours.

I was on Atkins for 4 months in 2003, and lost 40 pounds. I didn't
binge during that time. I beat myself up, big-time, if I ate a few
extra peanuts or indulged in a small serving of something that wasn't
on-plan, though. I'll try hard not to sweat the small stuff, and not
to allow the small stuff to become big stuff.

With the addition of Avandia to my diabetes medications, I'm hopeful
that I'll be able to advance to Ongoing Weightloss this time around.
It's hard to live on Induction for months at a time.

I hope you're a regular. I'd love to have someone to talk to who
understands what this disorder is like and what it does to a person. I
can't begin to tell you how many hours I've spent sobbing, calling
myself a loser and a pig. Saves JC the trouble. <G>

This is Day One on Induction. I had a cheddar cheese omelette for
breakfast. Yay, me!

Peace,
Carol

On 27 Mar 2006 14:54:21 GMT, [email protected] (Marilyn Matte)
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress ([email protected]) writes:
>> Good to see you, Marilyn!
>> Peace,
>> Carol, who is just joining the fold again, too

>Thank you, Carol; it's great to see familiar names. Your welcome is
>appreciated. We *can* do this.

You bet your shrinking a$$ we can!

Peace,
Carol

Hey y'all-

If you suspect you or a family member or friend is suffering from an
eating disorder, a consultation with a physician or psychiatrist is
really indicated - I am aware that in the case of binge-eating and
bulimia, a deficit in serotonin metablism is the suspected culprit;
therefore SSRIs are frequently a very useful first-line treatment,
along with individual and family psychotherapy as adjunctive
treatments. Combination treatment of this sort tends to produce the
highest 'cure' or remission rates in the literature.... just my two
cents.

-Dr. P

DAMION BROOKER wrote:
> Carol~
>
> I also suffer from Binge Eating Disorder, or compulsive overeating. I opted
> to attend OA instead of a therapist. The group has been really supportive
> for me and it's free!
>
> I have no trouble using Atkins as my food plan and letting the OA Program
> help get my binge eating under control.
>
> Have you ever considered it?
>
> Tessy
>
> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I had my annual physical today, and my doctor really, really didn't
> > like the blood sugar readings I had collected. She knows that I did
> > well on Atkins before, and she wants me to make it a permanent
> > lifestyle. This is all about blood sugar control, so
> >
> > I have Binge Eating Disorder, and can't find a therapist less than 50
> > miles away who has the faintest clue how to work with eating
> > disorders. The cool thing about going back on Atkins is that I may
> > occasionally eat something I shouldn't, but I don't eat drastic
> > amounts of anything (besides vegetables).
> >
> > A half serving of steel cut oats at bedtime does a nice job of keeping
> > things level overnight, and my fasting BG is lower on the mornings
> > when I'd eating the oats than on the ones when I hadn't. My other
> > low-carb sin is that I plan on eating an apple for my mid-morning and
> > mid-afternoon snacks. With those "treats" as a planned part of my
> > eating plan, I shouldn't feel deprived at all.
> >
> > And thank you, JC, for telling me about standing push-ups. I feel so
> > good when I've done a bunch of those and some other exercises.
> >
> > Okay, gotta go set up an account on FitDay.
> >
> > Peace,
> > Carol

says...
> Saffire ([email protected]) writes:
> > Welcome back, Marilyn!

> Thank you, Saffire! You, and your success, and your posts, are one of the
> talisman's I'm hanging on to. (No pressure, just letting you know, I'm a
> fan <grin>.)

Thanks! It's kind of strange for me sometimes. I know I've lost a lot
of weight, but many others have lost MUCH more (and much faster than
me), so sometimes I feel like I'm getting more credit than I deserve --
but then I look at my pictures ;-) It's nice to know I'm an
inspiration, because it sure made a difference for ME to be inspired! I
also think it's important for people to know that we DO lose at
different rates but we CAN do it!

--
Saffire
205/136/125
Atkins since 6/14/03

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

On 27 Mar 2006 14:05:21 -0800, "Ernst Primer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey y'all-
>
> If you suspect you or a family member or friend is suffering from an
>eating disorder, a consultation with a physician or psychiatrist is
>really indicated - I am aware that in the case of binge-eating and
>bulimia, a deficit in serotonin metablism is the suspected culprit;
>therefore SSRIs are frequently a very useful first-line treatment,
>along with individual and family psychotherapy as adjunctive
>treatments. Combination treatment of this sort tends to produce the
>highest 'cure' or remission rates in the literature.... just my two
>cents.
>
> -Dr. P

Howdy Doc!

I'm under a psychiatrist's care for a multitude of issues. I'm taking
80mg of Celexa each day, so I think my seratonin should be in good
shape. *Should be," not necessarily "is."

The closest ED therapist is 50 miles away, and we're unable to afford
the gas and parking right now. No one in our vicinity will touch ED
issues. It's very frustrating.

Atkins does do a lot to reduce the urges to eat who-knows-what.
Klonopin helps too, but I have to talk to my shrink about
break-through depression in the evening. Between depression and
anxiety, I'm a trainwreck waiting to happen at night. It'll be a
little over a month before I see the doc again.

I binge when I start feeling like I'm, "coming right out of my skin."
It's an emotional band-aid of sorts. Pretty crappy band-aid, huh?

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise!

Peace,
Carol

"Saffire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> says...
> > Saffire ([email protected]) writes:
> > > Welcome back, Marilyn!

> > Thank you, Saffire! You, and your success, and your posts, are one of

the
> > talisman's I'm hanging on to. (No pressure, just letting you know, I'm

> > fan <grin>.)

> Thanks! It's kind of strange for me sometimes. I know I've lost a lot
> of weight, but many others have lost MUCH more (and much faster than
> me), so sometimes I feel like I'm getting more credit than I deserve --

Not everyone who loses weight quickly manages to keep it off long term.
The speed or amount of loss means little if proper eating habits haven't
been established during the process.

> but then I look at my pictures ;-) It's nice to know I'm an
> inspiration, because it sure made a difference for ME to be inspired! I
> also think it's important for people to know that we DO lose at
> different rates but we CAN do it!

Positive attitude and consistency. Sounds to me like you're a good
example for inspiration. You've done really well.

> --
> Saffire
> 205/136/125
> Atkins since 6/14/03
> Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333
>
> *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
> in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:29:33 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I binge when I start feeling like I'm, "coming right out of my skin."
>It's an emotional band-aid of sorts. Pretty crappy band-aid, huh?

Yes, but it tends to become habitual, if destructive.

Glad you're back on lc, and good to see you back, Carol.

HG

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:03:14 -0500, Hannah Gruen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:29:33 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I binge when I start feeling like I'm, "coming right out of my skin."
>>It's an emotional band-aid of sorts. Pretty crappy band-aid, huh?

>Yes, but it tends to become habitual, if destructive.

Absolutely!

>Glad you're back on lc, and good to see you back, Carol.

Thanks, Hannah! I know I'm doing this more for diabtes control than
for weight loss, but I was happily surprised by a 2.5 pound drop since
yesterday morning. And my fasting blood sugar is down 33 points.
Whoo-hoo!

Peace,
Carol

"Marilyn Matte" <[email protected]> wrote in

>> It's just a matter of time, so how long have you given yourself to lose
>> 100Lbs?

> Thank you, DB. Thirteen months, actually -- my birthday in May of 2007.

Sounds like a good plan! I think some people get too impatient & give up
when they don't drop a large sum in a very short time. About 2 Lbs a week is
a good rate, but you'll probaby start looking great within 20 Ibs too!

I'd like to drop another 10 pounds right away, but my lifestyle will not
allow for that, so I'll just have to be patient, but again I'm in no hurry!

All the best!

DB