Does a "better" bike really help?

Gilders said:
Without wanting to appear stupid by asking a really facile question (sod it, I will anyway), is your bike similarly geared to your friends'? What chainring / cassette size are you riding? How does that compare to their setups?

Also, when are they faster than you? Over a specific distance? In a sprint? On climbs? Always, regardless? ;)?
My bike (just found out) is an 8 speed, triple (2003 trek 1000, no upgrades) while one buddy is riding a giant tcr? that was built by another buddy that rides like a 5000 series Trek (the trek rider is a dealer and hooked him up with better parts, wheels...etc... from the getgo. They just generally are 1-2 mph faster on any given terrain (especially flats around these parts). My legs weren't cooperating but one day in particular we had a really strong headwind and i simply couldn't hang....even drafting them. I can't wait to get a new bike.....and to get better myself.

skydive69 said:
I'm amazed that you consider .2 of a mile a "huge difference." When I upgraded from my 24 pound Sequoia to my full Dura-Ace equipped 16.25 pound Roubaix Pro, I was literally doing 2 mph better for the same effort out of the box. True, I was positioned in a slightly better aero position from the more upright Sequoia. Computers were set accurately and compared with other bikes in my bike club.
Well, I was thinking road bikes with similar tires and riding positions, and in good shape with decent hubs and drivetrain. Isn't Sequoia a "fitness bike" with upright bars and fat tires? Agree aero position and tires could make a 2 mph difference at higher speeds going from an upright cruiser to a real road bike.

dhk said:
Well, I was thinking road bikes with similar tires and riding positions, and in good shape with decent hubs and drivetrain. Isn't Sequoia a "fitness bike" with upright bars and fat tires? Agree aero position and tires could make a 2 mph difference at higher speeds going from an upright cruiser to a real road bike.
The Sequoia simply has a bit more comfortable geometry, and has a rather upright handlebar position, but other than that it is sleek, and sports rather standard 700x25 road tires. I have gotten the Sequoia up to 32.9 mph, so it is no creeper, and have won sprints with it in group rides.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
My bike (just found out) is an 8 speed, triple (2003 trek 1000, no upgrades) while one buddy is riding a giant tcr? that was built by another buddy that rides like a 5000 series Trek (the trek rider is a dealer and hooked him up with better parts, wheels...etc... from the getgo. They just generally are 1-2 mph faster on any given terrain (especially flats around these parts). My legs weren't cooperating but one day in particular we had a really strong headwind and i simply couldn't hang....even drafting them. I can't wait to get a new bike.....and to get better myself.

Are you riding 52-42-30 chainring and a smallest cassette cog size of 12 teeth? I strongly wonder if your mates are riding at least 53-39 and have an 11 tooth on their cassettes. This would certainly provide the potential for higher speeds but then other factors would have to be considered as well, e.g:

Have these guys been riding longer and / or training any harder than you?
Is your bike set-up giving you any disadvantage in terms of aerodynamics?
Is your bike set-up giving you any disadvantage in terms of comfort and prematurely fatiguing you?
Do you have comparable strength/weight ratios?

etc etc etc...there are a LOT more factors that would affect your relative performances than the just the type or value of road bike that you ride, often including the oft-unfortunate one that we are certainly not all created equal, particularly in terms of our physical abilities! That is not to say, of course, that this is the governing factor here, or that there is no room for improvement or success!

Good luck with it all - keep persevering and don't lose faith!

Gilders said:
Are you riding 52-42-30 chainring and a smallest cassette cog size of 12 teeth? I strongly wonder if your mates are riding at least 53-39 and have an 11 tooth on their cassettes. This would certainly provide the potential for higher speeds but then other factors would have to be considered as well, e.g:

I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE ABOVE.

Have these guys been riding longer and / or training any harder than you? ONE HAS. THE OTHER, NOT QUITE AS LONG AS ME.

Is your bike set-up giving you any disadvantage in terms of aerodynamics? I THINK IT IS GIVING ME A DISADVANTAGE, AS I THINK THE FRAME IS TOO SMALL. I FEEL SQUISHED TO THE FRONT OF MY BIKE.
Is your bike set-up giving you any disadvantage in terms of comfort and prematurely fatiguing you? SAME AS ABOVE
Do you have comparable strength/weight ratios? I REALLY DO. IF ANYTHING, I AM PHYSICALLY STRONGER THAN BOTH.

BUT HOPEFULLY IT WILL ALL CHANGE, AS I AM PURCHASING A NEW BIKE THIS WEEKEND OR COMING WEEK. I CAN'T WAIT.

etc etc etc...there are a LOT more factors that would affect your relative performances than the just the type or value of road bike that you ride, often including the oft-unfortunate one that we are certainly not all created equal, particularly in terms of our physical abilities! That is not to say, of course, that this is the governing factor here, or that there is no room for improvement or success!

Good luck with it all - keep persevering and don't lose faith!
THANKS. YOU COMPLETE ME

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
My legs weren't cooperating but one day in particular we had a really strong headwind and i simply couldn't hang....even drafting them. I can't wait to get a new bike.....and to get better myself.
Train harder.It cost alot less. Otherwise you will still suck on a new bike.

boudreaux said:
Train harder.It cost alot less. Otherwise you will still suck on a new bike.
Such passionate words of encouragement. I bet boudreaux is the guy that sits waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the corner of his office building (because his boss put him there) and has a menial job (maybe filing or licking envelopes all day), and just hates life. To take out all of his frustrations, he comes to this message board and jut belittles people all day, to try to make his envelope-licking job and pitiful life, just a little bit better.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Such passionate words of encouragement. I bet boudreaux is the guy that sits waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the corner of his office building (because his boss put him there) and has a menial job (maybe filing or licking envelopes all day), and just hates life. To take out all of his frustrations, he comes to this message board and jut belittles people all day, to try to make his envelope-licking job and pitiful life, just a little bit better.
You are wound too tight or maybe need to switch to decaf.