General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Does a Walkman CD/MP3 player fast forward thru MP3 files?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 14 posts · 352 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
29 November 2005
Last activity
30 November 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
352
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm thinking of getting a Sony Walkman CD/MP3 player (model D-NE320 or
    D-NF420), however, I'm wondering if either one of these is able to fast
    foward thru an MP3 file (ie: advance or rewind a few seconds in the
    middle of the song). I've checked the online manual and all it says is
    that's it's not possible to do it IF the mp3 file CD is written in
    packet format, which would be UDF format, but in another part of the
    manual it states that it only supports Joliet format CDs ... so I
    thought I'd just try to find out from people who've actually used it
    ....

    Thanks,
    Harry

  2. Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking of getting a Sony Walkman CD/MP3 player (model D-NE320 or
    D-NF420),

    You'll be VERY sorry, because nikes are [censored]!

  3. Any specific thing that makes them bad?

    Thanks,
    Harry

  4. why would you buy a cd/mp3 player? choose one or the other. personally,
    if you have a computer i can't imagine why you would want a cd player
    unless you like carrying around the extra weight.

  5. Actually I subscribe to a magazine that I get in CD MP3 format and I
    already have a flash based MP3 player, but I find it too much hassle to
    transfer the MP3's from the CD to the player, I would much rather just
    pop the CD into a portable player and go.

    Thanks,
    Harry

  6. Quoted message said:

    Any specific thing that makes them bad?

    Everything.

  7. Dred said:

    why would you buy a cd/mp3 player? choose one or the other. personally,
    if you have a computer i can't imagine why you would want a cd player
    unless you like carrying around the extra weight.

    I personally kind of like MP3-CD players. CD's are very cheap (and
    pretty good!) storage for MP3's. Not to mention, when you buy a CD at
    the local store, you can listen to it right away - instead of having to
    bring it back home and rip it to the computer and transfer it to the
    player. Just put the CD in the player.

    - NRen2k5

  8. Dred said:

    why would you buy a cd/mp3 player? choose one or the other. personally,
    if you have a computer i can't imagine why you would want a cd player
    unless you like carrying around the extra weight.

    I think he means a CD player that plays mp3-encoded disks. I have a
    Panasonic - a cheap one. The point is that it will play music off a CD
    holding about 700 mb of MP3 music for less than the price of a 512mb
    player. You don't have to reload music - just swap burnt CD-R's which
    you'd probably burn anyway even if you had an iPod, since you'd want to
    archive your music. As for weight...the other day I stumbled on my
    first CD player, a circa 1987 monster which ran on 4 AA batteries. Now
    that was extra weight. Ofcourse there's still the problem that on (at
    least some) CD players, you won't get ID tags, you won't be able to
    skip w/i MP3 files, and you can only play your files in order rather
    than suffle between them as you probably could on a flash player.
    Personally, it's a small price to pay for paying the smaller price for
    one of those players.

  9. I tried the MP3 FF & FR on a D-NE326CK & it works. This player is the same
    as the 320, but includes a car kit. It does it quite well, the sound does
    not get blanked out, but it sounds like skips. It's not like a normal CD-DA
    where it is just increased speed, the MP3s kind of skip ahead with audio
    though.
    It is probably the same on the D-NF420 also, I can try that one later if you
    want me to. The NE326 was easier to get to right now, so I used that one.
    BTW-I love the NF420, great player for the price!

  10. iRobot said:

    I tried the MP3 FF & FR on a D-NE326CK & it works. This player is the same
    as the 320, but includes a car kit. It does it quite well, the sound does
    not get blanked out, but it sounds like skips. It's not like a normal CD-DA
    where it is just increased speed, the MP3s kind of skip ahead with audio
    though.
    It is probably the same on the D-NF420 also, I can try that one later if you
    want me to. The NE326 was easier to get to right now, so I used that one.
    BTW-I love the NF420, great player for the price!

    I tried it too, but it chaffed my ass.

  11. iRobot said:

    I tried the MP3 FF & FR on a D-NE326CK & it works. This player is the same
    as the 320, but includes a car kit. It does it quite well, the sound does
    not get blanked out, but it sounds like skips. It's not like a normal CD-DA
    where it is just increased speed, the MP3s kind of skip ahead with audio
    though.
    It is probably the same on the D-NF420 also, I can try that one later if you
    want me to. The NE326 was easier to get to right now, so I used that one.
    BTW-I love the NF420, great player for the price!

    I tried it too, but it chaffed my ass.

  12. "Bill Walker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 01:45:04 GMT, "iRobot" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    < s n i p >
    The NE326 was easier to get to right now, so I used that one.

    Quoted message said:

    BTW-I love the NF420, great player for the price!

    I tried it too, but it chaffed my ass.

    It's entirely possible you chose the wrong place to carry it.

    - Loco -
    (Now Playing: Caught In The Middle - The Butts Band)

  13. On 29 Nov 2005 19:01:46 -0800, "Loco Jones" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    It's entirely possible you chose the wrong place to carry it.

    Do you think he should've lubed-up better?

  14. FatKat said:
    Dred said:

    why would you buy a cd/mp3 player? choose one or the other. personally,
    if you have a computer i can't imagine why you would want a cd player
    unless you like carrying around the extra weight.

    I think he means a CD player that plays mp3-encoded disks. I have a
    Panasonic - a cheap one. The point is that it will play music off a CD
    holding about 700 mb of MP3 music for less than the price of a 512mb
    player. You don't have to reload music - just swap burnt CD-R's which
    you'd probably burn anyway even if you had an iPod, since you'd want to
    archive your music. As for weight...the other day I stumbled on my
    first CD player, a circa 1987 monster which ran on 4 AA batteries. Now
    that was extra weight. Ofcourse there's still the problem that on (at
    least some) CD players, you won't get ID tags, you won't be able to
    skip w/i MP3 files, and you can only play your files in order rather
    than suffle between them as you probably could on a flash player.
    Personally, it's a small price to pay for paying the smaller price for
    one of those players.

    Really? I've owned an MpTrip, a RioVolt SP250 and a Sony D-NE720. Only
    the ancient MpTrip lacks ID3 support. All of the three allow you to
    fast-forward and rewind through MP3's. And again all three have a
    Shuffle function.

    Then again, these are more "high-end" than your Pana. I won't bother
    mentioning the price of the MpTrip or the RioVolt, since they were more
    expensive then than they would be now... but the Sony costs about
    $135usd I think.

    - NRen2k5

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.