Does biking looses or gain weight?

Of course it helps to lose weight. The fact that you are sweating while riding is already an evidence that you are losing weight.

We put a lot of energy in riding the bicycle and that is the reason we lose weight. I've developed my strong character to keep moving despite the challenges we. Riding helps me to make more some new friends.

In general, you lose weight because it helps burn off your fat and spend the calories you have gained from eating. It's also a good cardio exercise. However, you can gain weight but this isn't really a bad sign, since it can also be the case of building up muscle instead of fat on your body, because cycling also trains certain muscle groups which help tone it down and give your body a better shape and muscle mass.

Losing weight depends, it's possible you could continue to gain weight if you don't cycle and eat properly, and if you diet at the same time you might get thinner but you could also get weaker on the bike.

On average a cyclist riding at 15 mph will only burn about 40 calories per mile of riding so do the math and you figure out how many calories your burning. You need to reduce fat in the foods you eat while increasing carbs to about 60 to 70% of your eating which means you should have less than 30% in fat. Rides that burn fat the best are the slower longer rides of around 6 hours in length, of course there is the scientific method that says use a heart rate monitor and aim at working around 70 to 75 percent of your max heart rate for most rides, if you do that you'll lose weight. And then just because you're hungry after a ride doesn't mean you shove a large pizza down your throat, don't stuff yourself, in fact you should feel just very slightly on the hungry side if you want to lose weight. Also do away with ALL sugary products especially soda, candy, cakes, adding stuff to coffee, etc, the sugar content will actually make you crave for more food; the weird thing is once you do away with sugary stuff and then say 3 months go by and you have soda for example, it will actually taste nasty and you'll wonder why you ever drank it in the first place! Also cut back on alcohol, all it is is just empty calories, it's ok to have a small half a glass of red wine at dinner, but that's it as far as a daily thing, and never binge drink; I have one glass of dark beer about once every 2 to 3 months and that's the limit of my alcohol. Speaking of empty calories don't eat snacks like chips etc. Don't eat while riding, most rides are only an hour or less, there is no need to eat doing those, for extended rides after that first hour you need about 60 to 90 grams of carbs per hour to avoid bonking, so do the math for those long fat burning rides to figure out how much food you need to have on a ride.

I'm not going to lie to you just because this is a cycling forum, but running is better for weight loss than cycling! HOWEVER, running is harder on your joints and bones and in the long run could screw up how well you get around when your older and thus your quality of life could be a lot less. Plus with cycling you can actually travel places in the same time that would take you to run and get nowhere far. Also I did the math once and over the long haul cycling is cheaper! As bazaar as that seems. A pair of nice mid level running shoes will cost you about $150, those shoes will last on average 400 miles; a set of really nice $150 a pair tires will last about 3,500 miles, that means you will need 9 (rounding up) pairs of shoes for every set of tires, that equates to spending about $1,350 in shoes over the same 3,500 miles that the tires lasted, **** for $1300 or so you could buy a pretty nice bike! Of course on average a runner will take about 2 years to run those 3500 miles whereas a cyclist will do that in a year if not a bit more, but it's the outgoing expenditure I wanted to point out that I felt was interesting. I use to run a lot, I didn't realize that cycling was cheaper for many years after I started cycling and gave up running, and I was shocked when I did the math. Of course the upfront cost for cycling is far greater but once the cost is paid it's just small nick pick stuff after that for a very long time; of course too there are those who have the need for a new bike every 3 to 5 years which is crazy in my mind since all my bikes last well over 30 years, in those cases cycling will be more expensive than running, if your not racing there is no need to buy more than one bike every 20 years if then.

I lose weight if I ride and watch what I eat. I can ride plenty but if I eat plenty, I will gain weight. It's an old saying, you can't out rde a bad diet. I've found that to be true.

I lose weight if I ride and watch what I eat. I can ride plenty but if I eat plenty, I will gain weight. It's an old saying, you can't out rde a bad diet. I've found that to be true.

Taking the needed meal is the best way of ensuring that we remain fit and no amount of riding can change. This is the reason I kind of agree with you on the saying that want we eat really matters in life no matter the activities that we do afterwards.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
It can do great benefits for our health. It helps with shedding some extra pounds because we're actively engaging in physical activities. It builds muscles particularly, on our legs. Just make sure to always do it in moderation. Biking excessively can just as easily strain your body if done wrong.

Usually you will be burning a lot of calories while biking, so if you eat an standard diet, for sure you will be getting thinner. But on the other hand, you will be gaining toned muscles on your legs and belly, and that's just great. Another plus is that you will get rid of flappy legs and cellulitis, so your body will get a very nice, athletic shape. Is not like is going to happen in a week, but eventually you will see the results.

I think it depends someone's biking habit. Yes, you may lose weight if you do a cyling routine everyday like a heavy acivity, it will probably help you lose weight effectively. But if you just bike normally, yes you still put some energy on it and you may still lose weight but not as effective as daily biking with heavy activities. I guess gaining weight from biking is just possible if you eat a lot after biking.

Biking is actually my way of maintaining my weight. When I quit biking, my weight ballooned by 20 pounds and now I am having difficulty in shedding off the extra pounds. When I ride, I notice that my muscles get a good tone and my stamina is great that I don't feel lethargic like now. And when I need to lose weight, I just add an hour to my biking to sweat more and for 2 days, I would easily lose 2 pounds or more. Perhaps the liquid intake is also a factor in the weight loss.

Whenever someone asks me about losing weight, I always say the same thing: whether or not you lose weight depends on how many calories you eat, and how many you burn.

Bicycling is an activity that helps contribute to burning calories, and therefore has the potential to help you lose weight. However, one of the deciding factors is the intensity of your cycling. If you're riding at the same pace as an elderly person taking a leisurely stroll through a park, you're not going to see significant weight loss. The key is pedaling hard enough to get your heart rate up, beating at least 1.5-2 times your resting heart rate. If you maintain such a rate for 30-40 minutes daily, and eat a healthy diet, you should begin to see gradual weight loss.

Hi everyone, wish we could chat about my thread. Thankyou Godbless

Well I think it depends on your cycling activity and diet, if your cycling regularly and eating healthy then you'll probably lose some fat in your problem areas. But if your eating fatty foods or if you have a bad diet while cycling short distances then you'll probably add on some poundage.

I wonder how you going to gain weight by using your bike. Of course losing weight is the natural body reaction for doing that activity. By using your bike often, your body will lose a lot of weight, your cardio will develop and will help you to stay fit.

I wonder how you going to gain weight by using your bike. Of course losing weight is the natural body reaction for doing that activity. By using your bike often, your body will lose a lot of weight, your cardio will develop and will help you to stay fit.

By eating a lot of Snickers while biking downhill lol. But seriously I've got a friend who regularly bikes with us but instead of getting slim he looks as he's adding weight and the reason was when he gets tired after a run he would drink a lot of beer at home and eat a lot of rice then sleep. So eating and drinking lots of carbs makes one fat more so if your going to sleep afterwards.

By eating a lot of Snickers while biking downhill lol. But seriously I've got a friend who regularly bikes with us but instead of getting slim he looks as he's adding weight and the reason was when he gets tired after a run he would drink a lot of beer at home and eat a lot of rice then sleep. So eating and drinking lots of carbs makes one fat more so if your going to sleep afterwards.

I think the metabolism of your friend is now getting slow, that's the problem if we getting older, it's hard for our body to burn carbs or fats. what more if your friend is not active in biking? Maybe no one to blame now. LOL.

My father once told me that a scale is helpful but not the end all be all. go by how your clothes fit. If you don't take calories in, you don't have to burn them off. However, you need some calories when riding. at my heaviest, I weighed 385 lbs/ I've been biking for 1 year now and im at 220lbs. still a heavy man, but I'm also rock solid with alot let flab in my body. While I've lost a ton of fat, I've gained muscle. Will I ever be as small as pro cyclists? No. But then again, I do not have an ecto morphic body.

*note* Muscle weighs more than fat