Does Lance Armstrong know how to ride a regular bike?

[email protected] wrote:
> I guess not. Every bike he rides is a NASCAR in bicycle shape.

Boy, the Tour ends and ol' Pungent **** /really/ loses his edge!

LOL

Leo Lee wrote:

> I guess not. Every bike he rides is a NASCAR in bicycle shape.

Not all will sing when ride. Sing is distraction in traffic or
on rock trail. NASCAR bully biker go to fast too sing and watch
for fat ass SUV. Red Clound may sing and wish to be Switzerland
with happy fun tree and meadow, but maybe sometime SUV will
squash the singing Cloud because singing Cloud is to busy singing
a happy Red Cloud song of Pale Phallic Watts.

If the bikes were NASCAR, they'd be ancient three-speed designs built
by one manufacturer with labels from Trek, Bianchi, etc depending on
the team. Trek & Bianchi would shell out millions for the "right to
label" the bikes and receive approx. 1/2 second of mention after each
race. Every bike would be the same, and severly restricted: pedal
cranks might be shortened or "rotation restrictors" installed in the
hubs to limit power. The technology would never change.

The TdF wouldn't run in the rain. Cyclists couldn't pee in the open.
They couldn't swear, ever. They couldn't publicly mention the origins
of the sport. Spectators would throw beer bottles onto the road if they
didn't like the result.

If TdF bikes were like NASCAR...

They would be ancient three-speed designs, once based on store bikes
but now built to one spec, by a handful of manufacturers, and
standardized to prevent innovation. Trek, Bianchi et al would pay
millions for "labeling rights" and a 1/2 second mention in the
post-race cyclists' ramble. Beer would be sprayed on the podium.

The technology wouldn't have changed since 1970. If you wanted similiar
derailleurs or freewheels you'd go to Goodwill. Bikes in your driveway
would contain five times the technology. Large aero drag flaps would
keep speed in check and ensure nobody leaves the peloton.
Power-limiting devices like a "power restrictor" would be installed in
the bottom bracket to limit power input. Advanced sports fuel foods
wouldn't be used, in favor of Twinkies.

Cyclists couldn't pee in the open. They couldn't swear. They couldn't
mention the origins of the sport. They wouldn't race in the rain.
Spectators would throw beer bottles onto the road if they didn't like
the result. The TdF's final stages would only be a race for the top 10
in points, as the rest of the field showed up for fun.

Oh I didn't mention all stages would be on the velodrome ovals, with
two street races thrown in as a last gasp of tradition. Some racers
would be spooked and not show. Other teams would bring in cyclists from
other series to handle the windy stages for them.

Thank God cycling is nothing like NASCAR.

Oh I didn't mention all stages would be on the velodrome ovals, with
two street races thrown in as a last gasp of tradition. Some racers
would be spooked and not show. Other teams would bring in cyclists from

other series to handle the twisty stages for them.

bryanska wrote:

> If TdF bikes were like NASCAR...
>
> They would be ancient three-speed designs, once based on store bikes
> but now built to one spec, by a handful of manufacturers, and
> standardized to prevent innovation. Trek, Bianchi et al would pay
> millions for "labeling rights" and a 1/2 second mention in the
> post-race cyclists' ramble. Beer would be sprayed on the podium.

Mmmmm, beeeeeer.

> The technology wouldn't have changed since 1970. If you wanted similiar
> derailleurs or freewheels you'd go to Goodwill. Bikes in your driveway
> would contain five times the technology.

Antilock calipers and handlebar air bags would weigh down my bike.
The bikecomputer was a neat toy, but the novelty has worn off.

> Large aero drag flaps would
> keep speed in check and ensure nobody leaves the peloton.

Spoilers and air dams help keep the bikes on the track.
Some of these fancy aero helmets are actually "lifting bodies",
just like what Sally Field wore in "The Flying Nun".

> Power-limiting devices like a "power restrictor" would be installed in
> the bottom bracket to limit power input. Advanced sports fuel foods
> wouldn't be used, in favor of Twinkies.

Mmmmmm, twinkies.

> Cyclists couldn't pee in the open.

The possibility of getting a warm spritz keeps me away
from the peloton. Besides, I thought that was what the extra bottle
was for: as one bottle emptied, the other bottle filled.

> They couldn't swear.

That's what kept me from competing in the Busch series, that
and the fact that my Camaro only has a lap belt.

> They couldn't
> mention the origins of the sport. They wouldn't race in the rain.
> Spectators would throw beer bottles onto the road if they didn't like
> the result. The TdF's final stages would only be a race for the top 10
> in points, as the rest of the field showed up for fun.

OTOH, there'd be more than 150,000 roaring fans at the Talladega
Supervelospeedway watching the winners do smokin' donuts on those
skinny tires.

On 8 Aug 2005 23:01:18 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> I guess not. Every bike he rides is a NASCAR in bicycle shape.

If bikes were like NASCAR, at least when they called they participants
in a bike race "athletes", they'd be correct (unlike NASCAR).

Paul

Race car drivers are athletes.

NASCAR race car drivers are athletes in a horrible series.

On 9 Aug 2005 17:18:58 -0700, "bryanska" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Race car drivers are athletes.
>
>NASCAR race car drivers are athletes in a horrible series.

And what series do you prefer?

Personally, I'm partial to the WoO, but I've seen some good NASCAR
races. I made it down to Bristol in '83 and have been to Michigan a
number of times.

I must admit, I haven't been to a race in a the last few years.
Although I have rode my bike over to the Milwaukee Mile, when there
has been practice.

Life is Good!
Jeff

"bryanska" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Race car drivers are athletes.
>
> NASCAR race car drivers are athletes in a horrible series.

How can automobile driving be a sport? The engine's doing all the work.

All the driver does is control the vehicle. I'm sorry, but any activity
where the engine is doing the work cannot be considered a sport, in my
opinion.

That includes motorcycle racing too.

Race car drivers may be fit and athletic, with excellent reflexes and
concentration skills, but race car driving is certainly NOT a sport.

Paul

Paul R <[email protected]> wrote:

> How can automobile driving be a sport? The engine's doing all the work.

Ernest Hemingway once observed that there are only three sports: bull
fighting, automobile racing, and mountain climbing. All the rest, he
said, are "just games."
All how you look at it, I guess.

Bill

| Blind faith in your leaders?or in anything? |
| will get you killed. |
| --Bruce Springsteen |

Paul R wrote:

> How can automobile driving be a sport? The engine's doing all the work.
>
> All the driver does is control the vehicle. I'm sorry, but any activity
> where the engine is doing the work cannot be considered a sport, in my
> opinion.
>
> That includes motorcycle racing too.
>
> Race car drivers may be fit and athletic, with excellent reflexes and
> concentration skills, but race car driving is certainly NOT a sport.
>
> Paul

Auto racing can be a sport in the same way that the myriad equestrian
events can be sports even though the horse is doing the work or
downhilling can be a sport even though gravity is providing the energy.
Let's not denigrate others' ideas of what is or is not a sport. Golf
excepted of course. I mean, *everybody* knows golf is just a game,
right? <g>

Regards,
Bob Hunt

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob" <[email protected]> writes:

> I mean, *everybody* knows golf is just a game,
> right? <g>

It's just a game when you drive into the woods, or
the parking lot, or onto the head of some fat guy
tewtling along down the edge of the fairway in his
golf cart ("Oops. Sorry".)

It's a sport when you Eagle 3 inches from the cup
on a 300+ yarder in a crosswind. Especially if the
ball slowly does the question mark curve around the
hole until it snuggles up close to it.

Shooting a 5-shot one-holer at 300 yards with open
sights from a 22/250 bench rifle and hand-loads --
I dunno if that's a sport or a game. But it's a challenge.
I guess taking on challenges is Sport, but not necessarily
a "sport".

And then there's making (or attempting to make)
The Perfect Souffle.

And then there's playing uphill croquet on an overcast,
moonless night, with a bunch of Heinekens and ... other
performance-dehancing stuff which is not to be used
around 22/250s.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

On 11 Aug 2005 01:47:18 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Stupid moron!

Stop being so hard on yourself, it's not all your fault. You have a
mental illness.

Just listen to your doctor, and take those meds, as prescribed. That
will help with the voices, and maybe help you determine what is
reality.

Calling yourself names helps no one.

Life is Good!
Jeff

> Auto racing can be a sport in the same way that the myriad equestrian
> events can be sports even though the horse is doing the work or
> downhilling can be a sport even though gravity is providing the energy.
> Let's not denigrate others' ideas of what is or is not a sport. .

Amen, dude. When you look at a rarified series like IndyCar, Champ Car,
or Formula 1, anybody driver about competition has to be in absolute
top physcial form. I'm talking both muscular and cardiovascular. Tony
Kanaan, 2004 IndyCar champion, regularly does triathlons on his off
weekends. 2003 Champ Car champion Paul Tracy (subject of a questionable
new WGN reality series called Race Car Driver) is famously beefed.
Champ Car drivers must have incredible upper-body strength and stamina,
as their cars are the heaviest major-league open wheel machines, and
wrestling these beasts around 20 turns for 80 laps is a challenge few
other athletes can surmount. It's not just a question of smooth power
application as in cycling. Kickback from the suspension, and force
feedback from inertia, can exert upwards of 40 pounds SUDDENLY against
your grip. Imagine catching a bag of rock salt and controlling it. At
180 MPH and inches from a competitor, letting this force affect your
line is a ticket into the wall. Did you know that most of them don't
pee because they've sweated so much from the exertion?

It may look graceful but make no mistake. These people are wrestlers.
For 2 or 3 hours. And at the 24 hours races, they do it for 4 hours.
Then attempt to sleep for four hours, and wake up and do it again.

Formula One is slightly less brutish than Champ Car, but extra
concentration is required because the cars are at the bleeding edge of
performance. This is a series technically amok. IndyCar is slightly
less so, and mostly ovals, but mixing in more street courses. NASCAR is
watered down for the masses, using old technology and restricting
competition. They've turned their back on heritage, and virtually none
of their bootlegging past is mentioned anymore. I guess that's my beef
with NASCAR - all the rollickin' good times they had when I was a kid
turned into corporate racertainment.

Leo Cloud wrote:

> BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Stupid moron!

You have me at a disadvantage, sir.
As the originator of concepts like "NASCAR
bully bikers", you have a complete grasp of the
"White Power Penis".

I must yield this round to you, and leave you
to continue to flesh out and stroke your ideas
to fruition.