dog walking and cycling combined

david

Guest
Does anyone take there dog out with them on the bike with the lead?I saw an
advert for whats called the springer attachment.Anyone actually used it?

dave

david wrote:
> Does anyone take there dog out with them on the bike with the lead?I saw an
> advert for whats called the springer attachment.Anyone actually used it?

That 'springer attachment' is a scary looking thing. Looks like the dog
still has plenty of latitude to stick its head between the bike wheels,
bite the chain or whatever.
This <http://www.dogpoweredscooter.com/> looks a bit safer although
you'd need a reasonable sized mutt to make it work.

david wrote on 01/10/2006 10:21 +0100:
> Does anyone take there dog out with them on the bike with the lead?I saw an
> advert for whats called the springer attachment.Anyone actually used it?
>
> dave

The main problem with a dog attached to a bike is when it decides to go
round the opposite side of a lamp post or other obstacle as you. That
plus when it spots a cat in a garden.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

"david" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone take there dog out with them on the bike with the lead?I saw
> an
> advert for whats called the springer attachment.Anyone actually used it?
>
> dave

I am doubtful that dogs are made for continuous running rather than
occasional sprints. Some people here go running with dogs but I don't know
how successful even that is.

In article <[email protected]>
Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> david wrote on 01/10/2006 10:21 +0100:
> > Does anyone take there dog out with them on the bike with the lead?I saw an
> > advert for whats called the springer attachment.Anyone actually used it?
> >
> > dave
> >

> The main problem with a dog attached to a bike is when it decides to go
> round the opposite side of a lamp post or other obstacle as you. That
> plus when it spots a cat in a garden.

There's a breakaway device on the Springer to avoid that, but of course
it means the dog can just pull free if it tries hard enough.

In article <[email protected]>
david <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does anyone take there dog out with them on the bike with the lead?I saw an
> advert for whats called the springer attachment.Anyone actually used it?

Looks like a bad idea to me - much better would be a sidecar-type
arrangement that keeps the dog in a straight(ish) line, and could also
provide a platform for him to sit on if he's had enough exercise. :)

In article <[email protected]>
Geoff Pearson <[email protected]> wrote:

> "david" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Does anyone take there dog out with them on the bike with the lead?I saw
> > an
> > advert for whats called the springer attachment.Anyone actually used it?
> >

> I am doubtful that dogs are made for continuous running rather than
> occasional sprints. Some people here go running with dogs but I don't know
> how successful even that is.

If you get the right dogs it can work rather well :)
http://www.tumnatkisiberians.com/images/2006Photos/DSC_3244_web.jpg

"Geoff Pearson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "> I am doubtful that dogs are made for continuous running rather than
> occasional sprints. Some people here go running with dogs but I don't
> know how successful even that is.

In my marathon running days we regularly saw a guy with his border collie
who would run the marathon with him, then at the finish he (the dog) would
go crazy and tear off round the car park half a dozen times. Running at a
steady 7 minute mile pace the dog hardly broke into a trot to keep with his
master.

Bill

In article <[email protected]>, Geoff Pearson wrote:
>"david" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Does anyone take there dog out with them on the bike with the lead?I saw
>> an
>> advert for whats called the springer attachment.Anyone actually used it?

>I am doubtful that dogs are made for continuous running rather than
>occasional sprints.

Have you seen film of wild dogs or wolves hunting? They do depend on
stamina and sustained running, rather than ambush and sprint. (I gather
than humans can outrun dogs over ultramarathon distances though - but not
many (modern) humans can manage that sort of run.)

Certainly our Labrador can keep up with a gentle family cycle through
the forest without problems (and without a lead). I wouldn't expect him
to join me on a commute to work though, even with Kevlar booties
(http://www.niton999.co.uk/new/productsexpanded.asp?query=1775).

Back to the original question, I recently came across
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/walky-home.html
which is another similar sort of device. A quick-release spigot clamps
onto the seat tube, a rigid tube with springs in mounts on that, and
a cord attaches to the springs and the dog's harness.

It does say it needs a dog who is trained to walk on a lead without
pulling.

in message <[email protected]>, david ('[email protected]')
wrote:

> Does anyone take there dog out with them on the bike with the lead?I saw
> an advert for whats called the springer attachment.Anyone actually used
> it?

There is a sport called 'dog jorring', in which a team of huskies pulls a
mountain bike. I know people who do it, but, although I like both huskies
and cycling, I am most definitely not going to try. The words 'bloody'
and 'suicidal' spring to mind.

Apart from that, yes, some people do take their dogs out for exercise on
bikes. Again (if I had a dog, which I don't) it's something I definitely
would not try. My father killed his dog in this way; it ran across in
front of the bike, and my father, who was then in his late sixties, was
unable to stop in time.

;; this is not a .sig

In article <[email protected]>, Simon Brooke wrote:
>in message <[email protected]>, david ('[email protected]')
>wrote:
>
>> Does anyone take there dog out with them on the bike with the lead?I saw
>> an advert for whats called the springer attachment.Anyone actually used
>> it?

>There is a sport called 'dog jorring', in which a team of huskies pulls a
>mountain bike.

Also known as "bikejoring" - "skijoring" is the same thing on cross
country skis. (And it seems to generally be one or two dogs, not a full
sled team.)

With the proper equipment and training, running over a dog looks as
though it would be unlikely, but improvising certainly could be difficult.

david wrote:
> Does anyone take there dog out with them on the bike with the lead?I saw an
> advert for whats called the springer attachment.Anyone actually used it?
>
> dave

I have cycled the Pheonix trail with Merlot our cocker spaniel running
beside. This was on a Brompton, and using a flexi extending lead. Much
of the cycling is one-handed (no need for signals). But he has no
trouble sustaining 8-10mph. I can also confirm that a modest sized
cocker spaniel will fit in the front carrier bag :)

I would not want a dog attached to my bike at all. I prefer the much
greater slack of a flexi-lead and training to run/walk close to the
bike.

My sister's springer spaniel has run several marathons, one across
Dartmoor. Spaniels are basically cardiovascular systems on legs with
big eyes, tiring them out is for the determined.

regards,
daren

TheMgt wrote:

> This <http://www.dogpoweredscooter.com/> looks a bit safer although
> you'd need a reasonable sized mutt to make it work.

The following explanation from the "Use it" section sounds a bit
ominous: "After a little patients for weary dogs ..."

Perhaps they mean "patience" and "wary". :)

--
Dave...

In article <[email protected]>
Simon Geller <[email protected]> wrote:
> > david wrote:
> >> Does anyone take there dog out with them on the bike with the lead?I saw an
> >> advert for whats called the springer attachment.Anyone actually used it?
> >>

> I've heard of people wearing out the dog's paws by over-exercising them
> on a bike, so caution is required I suppose. It's a bit too easy for the
> rider and a bit too hard on the dog.

They should get the dog a bike too.

Rob Morley wrote:

>> I've heard of people wearing out the dog's paws by over-exercising
>> them on a bike, so caution is required I suppose. It's a bit too
>> easy for the rider and a bit too hard on the dog.
>>

> They should get the dog a bike too.

Well there was the Japanese chap who taught his pet Dalamatian to ride a
kids bike (albeit with stablisers).

Perhaps you could get a suitably adapted tandem and train the dog to be a
stoker ;)

Alex
--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom

In article <[email protected]>
Mr R@t (2.30zi) <[email protected]> wrote:
> Rob Morley wrote:
>
> >> I've heard of people wearing out the dog's paws by over-exercising
> >> them on a bike, so caution is required I suppose. It's a bit too
> >> easy for the rider and a bit too hard on the dog.
> >>

> > They should get the dog a bike too.

> Well there was the Japanese chap who taught his pet Dalamatian to ride a
> kids bike (albeit with stablisers).
>
> Perhaps you could get a suitably adapted tandem and train the dog to be a
> stoker ;)

I think a trailer-mounted treadmill would work pretty well.