Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Kingson

Fellow techcyclists -

On 4/28/2003 I wrote:

"I hope my next posting on this topic will be to say how well my
1980/2003 Shogun 18 speed bike is working!"

Here it is. The project worked out exactly as I had hoped and I'm able to peddle effortlessly
up hills that used to be major challenges. What a difference between a low gear of 35.1
inches and 27.0!

Thanks to all the folks who took the time to provide information, feedback (AND challenges) when I
asked about about converting my double crank 1980 Shogun 12 speed to a triple crank 18 speed:
Sheldon Brown (Harris Cyclery), Peter Chisholm (Vecchio's Bicicletteria), Andrew Muzi
(yellowjersey), Bob Massé, " Openworld", and Paul Southworth.

I finished up the swap yesterday with a minimum of complication. Here's what I ended up with:

- Shimano Tiagra cranks (52x42x30)
- 68 x 113 cartridge bottom bracket (Shimano specified size for these cranks)
- Shimano Deore long rear dearailer (SGS)
- Shimano RX-100 triple front derailer
- SRAM PC-58 chain (114 link)

I could have had my LBS do all of this, but I wanted the challenge and the satisfaction of doing the
job myself. So I also bought a crank puller and a bottom bracket tool for installing the new
cartridge. I removed the old-style bottom bracket using a "Ford wrench" on the side with flats, and
a hammer and punch to loosen the other side.

Reassembly went smoothly, except that I didn't thread the chain properly at first. Thanks to those
who recommended the SRAM chain with the "Powerlink" connector. Though I had no chain tool, it was
still a simple matter to open the Powerlink, rethread the chain, and reconnect it. (I used a Dremel
tool to cut off the old chain).

After a few quick adjustments I took the bike out to test the new low gearing. WOW! Thanks
again to all.

Effortlessly,

Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

Imagine the difference I felt, going from a 32.9 to a 20.6...

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Status
Not open for further replies.