Road Cycling · Public discussion

Drink more beer.

Started by Joseph J · · Last activity · 137 posts · 4,634 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 July 2005
Last activity
27 July 2005
Original author
Joseph J
Posts
137
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,634
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 121–137 of 137
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jet said:

    In addition it seems typical that once one stops the athletic activity they
    don't necessarily stop the consumption of 'mass quantities'. That's how I
    once gained 60lbs. I stopped the running biking and swimming and weight
    training to work 12 hours a day (in addition to my regular job) on a
    computer consulting job but didn't realize - or didn't think about -
    changing my food intake.

    If you gradually reduce the quantity over 2 or 3 days, you can avoid this
    happening. Obviously it requires a bit of self discipline for a day or
    two, but the craving tend to decrease quickly after that. Business lunches
    and a western culture that says that one should eat to be polite
    regardless of how hungry one is, is IMHO a bigger problem.

  2. Jet said:

    In addition it seems typical that once one stops the athletic activity they
    don't necessarily stop the consumption of 'mass quantities'. That's how I
    once gained 60lbs. I stopped the running biking and swimming and weight
    training to work 12 hours a day (in addition to my regular job) on a
    computer consulting job but didn't realize - or didn't think about -
    changing my food intake.

    If you gradually reduce the quantity over 2 or 3 days, you can avoid this
    happening. Obviously it requires a bit of self discipline for a day or
    two, but the craving tend to decrease quickly after that. Business lunches
    and a western culture that says that one should eat to be polite
    regardless of how hungry one is, is IMHO a bigger problem.

  3. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:47:20 +0200, Donald Munro <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jet said:

    In addition it seems typical that once one stops the athletic activity they
    don't necessarily stop the consumption of 'mass quantities'. That's how I
    once gained 60lbs. I stopped the running biking and swimming and weight
    training to work 12 hours a day (in addition to my regular job) on a
    computer consulting job but didn't realize - or didn't think about -
    changing my food intake.

    If you gradually reduce the quantity over 2 or 3 days, you can avoid this
    happening. Obviously it requires a bit of self discipline for a day or
    two, but the craving tend to decrease quickly after that. Business lunches
    and a western culture that says that one should eat to be polite
    regardless of how hungry one is, is IMHO a bigger problem.

    Ah, not sure what you're saying...but I'd be surprised if only took 2-3
    days. It probably wasn't so much the cravings as the portion size and the
    habit of eating two h-burgers and so forth I think. In addition it was also
    probably the practice of eating while watching TV or on the PC where I'm
    not paying attention to my eating and just automatically shoving food down.

    One way that helps is to fix yourself the 'normal' or customary amount of
    food and then just before eating cut everything in half. Eat the other half
    at the next meal or something.

    There are a lot of little tricks that may add up. Drinking a couple glasses
    of water half an hour before eating, reducing portion size, chewing more
    before swallowing, cutting out white carbs and sugar.

    I've been doing a targetted type of diet in which I don't consume any carbs
    except for a small amount of hard candy or OJ before a ride and then for
    the 30 min period after I'll drink a glass of fruit juice. I'm planning to
    switch to an energy drink for both occasions, though to get that good
    4-to-1 carb to protein mix that is supposed to be good for replenishing the
    muscle stores.

    jj

  4. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:47:20 +0200, Donald Munro <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jet said:

    In addition it seems typical that once one stops the athletic activity they
    don't necessarily stop the consumption of 'mass quantities'. That's how I
    once gained 60lbs. I stopped the running biking and swimming and weight
    training to work 12 hours a day (in addition to my regular job) on a
    computer consulting job but didn't realize - or didn't think about -
    changing my food intake.

    If you gradually reduce the quantity over 2 or 3 days, you can avoid this
    happening. Obviously it requires a bit of self discipline for a day or
    two, but the craving tend to decrease quickly after that. Business lunches
    and a western culture that says that one should eat to be polite
    regardless of how hungry one is, is IMHO a bigger problem.

    Ah, not sure what you're saying...but I'd be surprised if only took 2-3
    days. It probably wasn't so much the cravings as the portion size and the
    habit of eating two h-burgers and so forth I think. In addition it was also
    probably the practice of eating while watching TV or on the PC where I'm
    not paying attention to my eating and just automatically shoving food down.

    One way that helps is to fix yourself the 'normal' or customary amount of
    food and then just before eating cut everything in half. Eat the other half
    at the next meal or something.

    There are a lot of little tricks that may add up. Drinking a couple glasses
    of water half an hour before eating, reducing portion size, chewing more
    before swallowing, cutting out white carbs and sugar.

    I've been doing a targetted type of diet in which I don't consume any carbs
    except for a small amount of hard candy or OJ before a ride and then for
    the 30 min period after I'll drink a glass of fruit juice. I'm planning to
    switch to an energy drink for both occasions, though to get that good
    4-to-1 carb to protein mix that is supposed to be good for replenishing the
    muscle stores.

    jj

  5. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:47:20 +0200, Donald Munro <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jet said:

    In addition it seems typical that once one stops the athletic activity they
    don't necessarily stop the consumption of 'mass quantities'. That's how I
    once gained 60lbs. I stopped the running biking and swimming and weight
    training to work 12 hours a day (in addition to my regular job) on a
    computer consulting job but didn't realize - or didn't think about -
    changing my food intake.

    If you gradually reduce the quantity over 2 or 3 days, you can avoid this
    happening. Obviously it requires a bit of self discipline for a day or
    two, but the craving tend to decrease quickly after that. Business lunches
    and a western culture that says that one should eat to be polite
    regardless of how hungry one is, is IMHO a bigger problem.

    Ah, not sure what you're saying...but I'd be surprised if only took 2-3
    days. It probably wasn't so much the cravings as the portion size and the
    habit of eating two h-burgers and so forth I think. In addition it was also
    probably the practice of eating while watching TV or on the PC where I'm
    not paying attention to my eating and just automatically shoving food down.

    One way that helps is to fix yourself the 'normal' or customary amount of
    food and then just before eating cut everything in half. Eat the other half
    at the next meal or something.

    There are a lot of little tricks that may add up. Drinking a couple glasses
    of water half an hour before eating, reducing portion size, chewing more
    before swallowing, cutting out white carbs and sugar.

    I've been doing a targetted type of diet in which I don't consume any carbs
    except for a small amount of hard candy or OJ before a ride and then for
    the 30 min period after I'll drink a glass of fruit juice. I'm planning to
    switch to an energy drink for both occasions, though to get that good
    4-to-1 carb to protein mix that is supposed to be good for replenishing the
    muscle stores.

    jj

  6. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:47:20 +0200, Donald Munro <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jet said:

    In addition it seems typical that once one stops the athletic activity they
    don't necessarily stop the consumption of 'mass quantities'. That's how I
    once gained 60lbs. I stopped the running biking and swimming and weight
    training to work 12 hours a day (in addition to my regular job) on a
    computer consulting job but didn't realize - or didn't think about -
    changing my food intake.

    If you gradually reduce the quantity over 2 or 3 days, you can avoid this
    happening. Obviously it requires a bit of self discipline for a day or
    two, but the craving tend to decrease quickly after that. Business lunches
    and a western culture that says that one should eat to be polite
    regardless of how hungry one is, is IMHO a bigger problem.

    Ah, not sure what you're saying...but I'd be surprised if only took 2-3
    days. It probably wasn't so much the cravings as the portion size and the
    habit of eating two h-burgers and so forth I think. In addition it was also
    probably the practice of eating while watching TV or on the PC where I'm
    not paying attention to my eating and just automatically shoving food down.

    One way that helps is to fix yourself the 'normal' or customary amount of
    food and then just before eating cut everything in half. Eat the other half
    at the next meal or something.

    There are a lot of little tricks that may add up. Drinking a couple glasses
    of water half an hour before eating, reducing portion size, chewing more
    before swallowing, cutting out white carbs and sugar.

    I've been doing a targetted type of diet in which I don't consume any carbs
    except for a small amount of hard candy or OJ before a ride and then for
    the 30 min period after I'll drink a glass of fruit juice. I'm planning to
    switch to an energy drink for both occasions, though to get that good
    4-to-1 carb to protein mix that is supposed to be good for replenishing the
    muscle stores.

    jj

  7. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:47:20 +0200, Donald Munro <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jet said:

    In addition it seems typical that once one stops the athletic activity they
    don't necessarily stop the consumption of 'mass quantities'. That's how I
    once gained 60lbs. I stopped the running biking and swimming and weight
    training to work 12 hours a day (in addition to my regular job) on a
    computer consulting job but didn't realize - or didn't think about -
    changing my food intake.

    If you gradually reduce the quantity over 2 or 3 days, you can avoid this
    happening. Obviously it requires a bit of self discipline for a day or
    two, but the craving tend to decrease quickly after that. Business lunches
    and a western culture that says that one should eat to be polite
    regardless of how hungry one is, is IMHO a bigger problem.

    Ah, not sure what you're saying...but I'd be surprised if only took 2-3
    days. It probably wasn't so much the cravings as the portion size and the
    habit of eating two h-burgers and so forth I think. In addition it was also
    probably the practice of eating while watching TV or on the PC where I'm
    not paying attention to my eating and just automatically shoving food down.

    One way that helps is to fix yourself the 'normal' or customary amount of
    food and then just before eating cut everything in half. Eat the other half
    at the next meal or something.

    There are a lot of little tricks that may add up. Drinking a couple glasses
    of water half an hour before eating, reducing portion size, chewing more
    before swallowing, cutting out white carbs and sugar.

    I've been doing a targetted type of diet in which I don't consume any carbs
    except for a small amount of hard candy or OJ before a ride and then for
    the 30 min period after I'll drink a glass of fruit juice. I'm planning to
    switch to an energy drink for both occasions, though to get that good
    4-to-1 carb to protein mix that is supposed to be good for replenishing the
    muscle stores.

    jj

  8. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:47:20 +0200, Donald Munro <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jet said:

    In addition it seems typical that once one stops the athletic activity they
    don't necessarily stop the consumption of 'mass quantities'. That's how I
    once gained 60lbs. I stopped the running biking and swimming and weight
    training to work 12 hours a day (in addition to my regular job) on a
    computer consulting job but didn't realize - or didn't think about -
    changing my food intake.

    If you gradually reduce the quantity over 2 or 3 days, you can avoid this
    happening. Obviously it requires a bit of self discipline for a day or
    two, but the craving tend to decrease quickly after that. Business lunches
    and a western culture that says that one should eat to be polite
    regardless of how hungry one is, is IMHO a bigger problem.

    Ah, not sure what you're saying...but I'd be surprised if only took 2-3
    days. It probably wasn't so much the cravings as the portion size and the
    habit of eating two h-burgers and so forth I think. In addition it was also
    probably the practice of eating while watching TV or on the PC where I'm
    not paying attention to my eating and just automatically shoving food down.

    One way that helps is to fix yourself the 'normal' or customary amount of
    food and then just before eating cut everything in half. Eat the other half
    at the next meal or something.

    There are a lot of little tricks that may add up. Drinking a couple glasses
    of water half an hour before eating, reducing portion size, chewing more
    before swallowing, cutting out white carbs and sugar.

    I've been doing a targetted type of diet in which I don't consume any carbs
    except for a small amount of hard candy or OJ before a ride and then for
    the 30 min period after I'll drink a glass of fruit juice. I'm planning to
    switch to an energy drink for both occasions, though to get that good
    4-to-1 carb to protein mix that is supposed to be good for replenishing the
    muscle stores.

    jj

  9. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:47:20 +0200, Donald Munro <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jet said:

    In addition it seems typical that once one stops the athletic activity they
    don't necessarily stop the consumption of 'mass quantities'. That's how I
    once gained 60lbs. I stopped the running biking and swimming and weight
    training to work 12 hours a day (in addition to my regular job) on a
    computer consulting job but didn't realize - or didn't think about -
    changing my food intake.

    If you gradually reduce the quantity over 2 or 3 days, you can avoid this
    happening. Obviously it requires a bit of self discipline for a day or
    two, but the craving tend to decrease quickly after that. Business lunches
    and a western culture that says that one should eat to be polite
    regardless of how hungry one is, is IMHO a bigger problem.

    Ah, not sure what you're saying...but I'd be surprised if only took 2-3
    days. It probably wasn't so much the cravings as the portion size and the
    habit of eating two h-burgers and so forth I think. In addition it was also
    probably the practice of eating while watching TV or on the PC where I'm
    not paying attention to my eating and just automatically shoving food down.

    One way that helps is to fix yourself the 'normal' or customary amount of
    food and then just before eating cut everything in half. Eat the other half
    at the next meal or something.

    There are a lot of little tricks that may add up. Drinking a couple glasses
    of water half an hour before eating, reducing portion size, chewing more
    before swallowing, cutting out white carbs and sugar.

    I've been doing a targetted type of diet in which I don't consume any carbs
    except for a small amount of hard candy or OJ before a ride and then for
    the 30 min period after I'll drink a glass of fruit juice. I'm planning to
    switch to an energy drink for both occasions, though to get that good
    4-to-1 carb to protein mix that is supposed to be good for replenishing the
    muscle stores.

    jj

  10. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:47:20 +0200, Donald Munro <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jet said:

    In addition it seems typical that once one stops the athletic activity they
    don't necessarily stop the consumption of 'mass quantities'. That's how I
    once gained 60lbs. I stopped the running biking and swimming and weight
    training to work 12 hours a day (in addition to my regular job) on a
    computer consulting job but didn't realize - or didn't think about -
    changing my food intake.

    If you gradually reduce the quantity over 2 or 3 days, you can avoid this
    happening. Obviously it requires a bit of self discipline for a day or
    two, but the craving tend to decrease quickly after that. Business lunches
    and a western culture that says that one should eat to be polite
    regardless of how hungry one is, is IMHO a bigger problem.

    Ah, not sure what you're saying...but I'd be surprised if only took 2-3
    days. It probably wasn't so much the cravings as the portion size and the
    habit of eating two h-burgers and so forth I think. In addition it was also
    probably the practice of eating while watching TV or on the PC where I'm
    not paying attention to my eating and just automatically shoving food down.

    One way that helps is to fix yourself the 'normal' or customary amount of
    food and then just before eating cut everything in half. Eat the other half
    at the next meal or something.

    There are a lot of little tricks that may add up. Drinking a couple glasses
    of water half an hour before eating, reducing portion size, chewing more
    before swallowing, cutting out white carbs and sugar.

    I've been doing a targetted type of diet in which I don't consume any carbs
    except for a small amount of hard candy or OJ before a ride and then for
    the 30 min period after I'll drink a glass of fruit juice. I'm planning to
    switch to an energy drink for both occasions, though to get that good
    4-to-1 carb to protein mix that is supposed to be good for replenishing the
    muscle stores.

    jj

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Donald Munro said:
    Tom Kunich said:
    Quoted message said:

    > The very first thing on his mind will have to be Shinier Bock and
    > Burritos.

    Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually many athletes who change to a healthier lifestyle don't really
    miss the food and drink they used to consume. Personally for example,
    attempting to eat fatty greasy meat such as for example in hamburgers
    makes me feel distinctly ill.

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    You need the livedrunk(tm) program.
    Just a delicious long drink for breakfast, another one for lunch, and
    juicy steak for dinner! With a couple of beers.

    Just send me one of those livedrunk bracelets and I'll put some gin in my
    water bottle. Any weaving will be ascribed to the crosswinds effects on
    cosmic carbone wheels.

    Send you one?!?! Make your own!

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/a3cdd62d4d320126
    ?hl=en&

    By the way, what's Shinier Bock? Are the bottles polished?

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Donald Munro said:
    Tom Kunich said:
    Quoted message said:

    > The very first thing on his mind will have to be Shinier Bock and
    > Burritos.

    Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually many athletes who change to a healthier lifestyle don't really
    miss the food and drink they used to consume. Personally for example,
    attempting to eat fatty greasy meat such as for example in hamburgers
    makes me feel distinctly ill.

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    You need the livedrunk(tm) program.
    Just a delicious long drink for breakfast, another one for lunch, and
    juicy steak for dinner! With a couple of beers.

    Just send me one of those livedrunk bracelets and I'll put some gin in my
    water bottle. Any weaving will be ascribed to the crosswinds effects on
    cosmic carbone wheels.

    Send you one?!?! Make your own!

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/a3cdd62d4d320126
    ?hl=en&

    By the way, what's Shinier Bock? Are the bottles polished?

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Donald Munro said:
    Tom Kunich said:
    Quoted message said:

    > The very first thing on his mind will have to be Shinier Bock and
    > Burritos.

    Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually many athletes who change to a healthier lifestyle don't really
    miss the food and drink they used to consume. Personally for example,
    attempting to eat fatty greasy meat such as for example in hamburgers
    makes me feel distinctly ill.

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    You need the livedrunk(tm) program.
    Just a delicious long drink for breakfast, another one for lunch, and
    juicy steak for dinner! With a couple of beers.

    Just send me one of those livedrunk bracelets and I'll put some gin in my
    water bottle. Any weaving will be ascribed to the crosswinds effects on
    cosmic carbone wheels.

    Send you one?!?! Make your own!

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/a3cdd62d4d320126
    ?hl=en&

    By the way, what's Shinier Bock? Are the bottles polished?

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Donald Munro said:
    Tom Kunich said:
    Quoted message said:

    > The very first thing on his mind will have to be Shinier Bock and
    > Burritos.

    Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually many athletes who change to a healthier lifestyle don't really
    miss the food and drink they used to consume. Personally for example,
    attempting to eat fatty greasy meat such as for example in hamburgers
    makes me feel distinctly ill.

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    You need the livedrunk(tm) program.
    Just a delicious long drink for breakfast, another one for lunch, and
    juicy steak for dinner! With a couple of beers.

    Just send me one of those livedrunk bracelets and I'll put some gin in my
    water bottle. Any weaving will be ascribed to the crosswinds effects on
    cosmic carbone wheels.

    Send you one?!?! Make your own!

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/a3cdd62d4d320126
    ?hl=en&

    By the way, what's Shinier Bock? Are the bottles polished?

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Donald Munro said:
    Tom Kunich said:
    Quoted message said:

    > The very first thing on his mind will have to be Shinier Bock and
    > Burritos.

    Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually many athletes who change to a healthier lifestyle don't really
    miss the food and drink they used to consume. Personally for example,
    attempting to eat fatty greasy meat such as for example in hamburgers
    makes me feel distinctly ill.

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    You need the livedrunk(tm) program.
    Just a delicious long drink for breakfast, another one for lunch, and
    juicy steak for dinner! With a couple of beers.

    Just send me one of those livedrunk bracelets and I'll put some gin in my
    water bottle. Any weaving will be ascribed to the crosswinds effects on
    cosmic carbone wheels.

    Send you one?!?! Make your own!

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/a3cdd62d4d320126
    ?hl=en&

    By the way, what's Shinier Bock? Are the bottles polished?

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Donald Munro said:
    Tom Kunich said:
    Quoted message said:

    > The very first thing on his mind will have to be Shinier Bock and
    > Burritos.

    Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually many athletes who change to a healthier lifestyle don't really
    miss the food and drink they used to consume. Personally for example,
    attempting to eat fatty greasy meat such as for example in hamburgers
    makes me feel distinctly ill.

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    You need the livedrunk(tm) program.
    Just a delicious long drink for breakfast, another one for lunch, and
    juicy steak for dinner! With a couple of beers.

    Just send me one of those livedrunk bracelets and I'll put some gin in my
    water bottle. Any weaving will be ascribed to the crosswinds effects on
    cosmic carbone wheels.

    Send you one?!?! Make your own!

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/a3cdd62d4d320126
    ?hl=en&

    By the way, what's Shinier Bock? Are the bottles polished?

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Donald Munro said:
    Tom Kunich said:
    Quoted message said:

    > The very first thing on his mind will have to be Shinier Bock and
    > Burritos.

    Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually many athletes who change to a healthier lifestyle don't really
    miss the food and drink they used to consume. Personally for example,
    attempting to eat fatty greasy meat such as for example in hamburgers
    makes me feel distinctly ill.

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    You need the livedrunk(tm) program.
    Just a delicious long drink for breakfast, another one for lunch, and
    juicy steak for dinner! With a couple of beers.

    Just send me one of those livedrunk bracelets and I'll put some gin in my
    water bottle. Any weaving will be ascribed to the crosswinds effects on
    cosmic carbone wheels.

    Send you one?!?! Make your own!

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/a3cdd62d4d320126
    ?hl=en&

    By the way, what's Shinier Bock? Are the bottles polished?

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.