Drivetrain and wheelset question

ib69nu

Sep 21, 2005
Earlier this year I bought a Specialized Hardrock Sport. I have put about 650 miles on it, and have found the derailleurs to my disliking. In certain gears the front one rubs, and sometimes the back one doesnt hit the gears right (skips). I would like to replace these (Acera) with some Deore XT ones (rd-m760, fd-m760), possibly the front being an LX. The question here is the new rear derailleur has a reverse spring, will this work on an 8sp cassette with a normal spring without buying new shifters?

I have also been looking into a wheelset better suited for riding on the streets. I have rim brakes, and 2.2" wide tires. The tires for the new wheelset I could find pretty much anywhere, but the problem is sourcing inexpensive wheels. I don't need anything super light or super tough, just something that will hold me well (220lbs) and not bend if i choose to jump a curb every now and again. I am looking to spend less than $100 on the wheels and cassette hopefully. Could you recommend anything that would meet this criteria?

Thanks in advance for your help.

So, the derailleurs are out of adjustment and you need skinny street tires?

For around your price of $100, I would simply take the bike to your local bike shop and have them perform a standard tune-up and put on street tires. You could also do this yourself and save about $60-75.

To me, your current needs and price limit don't justify new component groups and wheelsets.

Scotty_Dog said:
So, the derailleurs are out of adjustment and you need skinny street tires?

For around your price of $100, I would simply take the bike to your local bike shop and have them perform a standard tune-up and put on street tires. You could also do this yourself and save about $60-75.

To me, your current needs and price limit don't justify new component groups and wheelsets.
I forgot to mention a couple of things I guess. It has been tuned-up twice by the shop that i bought it from. That only fixed it for about 10 miles. I get free lifetime tune up from that shop. I asked them why it kept needing to be tuned up, and they told me that they have had problems with this specific drivetrain coming out of tune. That is why i want to get upgraded components.

As for th tires, I would just get tires, but I ride trails about twice a week. I also ride this bike to work, so i just figured it would be easier and less time consuming to switch wheels out when I wanted to hit the trails.

I do plan on installing all this, and adjusting it my self, so labor isnt included in this price.

Thanks again

ib69nu said:
I forgot to mention a couple of things I guess. It has been tuned-up twice by the shop that i bought it from. That only fixed it for about 10 miles. I get free lifetime tune up from that shop. I asked them why it kept needing to be tuned up, and they told me that they have had problems with this specific drivetrain coming out of tune. That is why i want to get upgraded components.

As for th tires, I would just get tires, but I ride trails about twice a week. I also ride this bike to work, so i just figured it would be easier and less time consuming to switch wheels out when I wanted to hit the trails.

I do plan on installing all this, and adjusting it my self, so labor isnt included in this price.

Thanks again
how old is it ? theres no reason it would go out of tune just because its acera, its not the smoothest shifting of components but it shouldnt go out of tune for any reason, check the cables, make sure theyre not damaged anywhere ahh, it probly just needs a good checking over because there will be a reason that its coming out of tune, make sure the plate the holds the cable is attached right. ahh just check it over propperly, or even take it to another shop and get them to do it.

when you first get a bike depending on how much effort was put into assembling it (pre-stressing cables etc.) the gearing and brakes will go out of tune and cable tension will slacken off a bit becaue of the cables 'streching' (cable ends seating in, changing the length of the outer housing). so if its just that dont worry

That is part of it. I would like a smoother shifting derailluer, and my birthday is coming up. This is about the only thing that I can think of in the price range I was given. I also might have misheard them about the coming out of tune thing, but it has been a while. All in all my derailluer just isnt to my liking. Thanks for the help

I had an acera on my bike when i bought it. Nothing was wrong with it, used it for around 2 years until it was smashed into by a jeep. I now use an XT, but I actully see no difference. As for having new wheels and tires for under $100 that is asking a bit much. To get a decent tire and wheel, it is still hard to find for under $100. And also for that bike shop that says it's coming out of tune...thats a load of ****. The only thing I can gather is that it is newer, and maybe your cables are still stretching, that happens on most all bikes. And if you really want a better derailluer, you can get a DEORE on performance for around 25 bucks. Those are better than acera and fairly cheap. Though I would never have replaced my acrea if it wasnt smashed anyway.