drug testing

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:17:51 +0200, Donald Munro <[email protected]>
wrote:

>nobody wrote:
>> Uh, Doc, it's PhD. pH is acid-base. LOL.

>Maybe its PCP.

You suggesting Gorilla is an example of good PhDs gone bad? ;-D

nobody wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:25:08 GMT, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Could be much worse. Or not. Didn't know you had a pHD (saw that Andy
>>had mentioned it) and wonder what it is. Surely then, you know it
>>depends who's counting, and how.
>>
>>Steve

> Uh, Doc, it's PhD. pH is acid-base. LOL.
>
> j/k

Ya, my bad, not acidotic.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

nobody wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 19:31:22 GMT, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>nobody wrote:
>>

>>>It's not a guess. They test for competency twice a year, and every
>>>six-months reference samples are sent out and scored. If you fail one, you
>>>don't work there long. Don't know how it is in France.

>> Is this a state reg. or is this the facilities' prerogative?

> Our lab has about five agencies to whom they are responsible. Some
> inspections are more cursory than others. We're required to produce records
> and temps and equipment logs, repairs. GMP, ISO-9000, CDC. ISO used to be
> voluntary and people try to get it. Brings up their cert quite a bit. Only
> about five agencies like ours are ISO-certified in the US last time I
> looked. We are not there being in a teaching hospital. It's no joke - you
> lose your cert on any one of five and you could end up being outsourced to
> someone who can.

Are you saying you are in a teaching hospital? I guess ISO is still
voluntary or there wouldn't be only 5 certified nationwide?

>>>Don't you certify the sterilization of your equipment? Don't you have OSHA
>>>visits? What kind of oversight? Just curious. Don't mean to put you on the
>>>spot.

>> Not at all. I do certify my sterilization, and we're supposed to
>>follow OSHA guidelines (which mirror CDC protocols). But there is no
>>oversight, and OSHA doesn't inspect private offices as a matter of
>>course. Generally from what I hear, most OSHA inspections are triggered
>>by a complaint from disgruntled former employees. They simply don't
>>have the staffing to do routine inspections.

> This is correct. I've served as the in-house OSHA liaison getting all the
> departments in line, doing mock-inspections. You have state OSHA as well as
> Federal; state usually soft-balls other state agencies.
>

>>Oh, yes--the state inspects our X-ray equipment every few years.

> I'm surprised you don't have to do monthly xray calibrations using
> standards and test films. How do you know you're not having overdosing? I'd
> expect the state to inspect your weekly Q.C. notebooks. Do your D.A.s have
> to know how to put in a line? How about sterile technique? Swabs of
> surfaces for bacterial contamination? These are things I'd want to see as
> an inspector.

Well, we really use only one type of film, one speed, one exposure.
No, we do not do calibrations, but the inspectors do. It's very
unsophisticated.
Swabs of surfaces for bacterial contamination? I'm sure every dentist
in the country would be in trouble. Really can't practice asepsis, just
focus on eliminating cross-contamination--a lot of disposable
polyethylene sleeves. But you can't do that to the whole room, just the
hardware touched during procedures.

> BTW, I noticed on 'The Beauty and the Geek' one of the beauties was a D.A.
> She was as dumb as a box of hammers. How in the world could she get through
> school? Did you see that show? ;-D
>
> Again, just chatting.

No, haven't seen it. I'm not surprised, that's pretty much of a
stereotype.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 20:50:56 GMT, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'm surprised you don't have to do monthly xray calibrations using
>> standards and test films. How do you know you're not having overdosing? I'd
>> expect the state to inspect your weekly Q.C. notebooks. Do your D.A.s have
>> to know how to put in a line? How about sterile technique? Swabs of
>> surfaces for bacterial contamination? These are things I'd want to see as
>> an inspector.

> Well, we really use only one type of film, one speed, one exposure.
>No, we do not do calibrations, but the inspectors do. It's very
>unsophisticated.

OK, Dental X-rays are different than hospital whole body devices. Duh.

> Swabs of surfaces for bacterial contamination? I'm sure every dentist
>in the country would be in trouble. Really can't practice asepsis, just
>focus on eliminating cross-contamination--a lot of disposable
>polyethylene sleeves. But you can't do that to the whole room, just the
>hardware touched during procedures.

So no Quaternary Ammonium cleansers? Don't you have patients with hepatitis
risk? No AIDS patients? Just curious. Do you have a cleaning service?

I recall 15yrs ago when I had a tooth pulled in an emergency the tech put a
needle in my vein without alcohol swab (Sodium Brevitol drip), just jammed
it in there - I would know - I did venipunctures at the time. Freaked me
out 'cuz we do iodine swab prep for big needles (this was a 16ga.). No
problems but it made me wonder about their training. Do you use anesthesia
like that also, or just gas?

>> BTW, I noticed on 'The Beauty and the Geek' one of the beauties was a D.A.
>> She was as dumb as a box of hammers. How in the world could she get through
>> school? Did you see that show? ;-D
>>
>> Again, just chatting.

> No, haven't seen it. I'm not surprised, that's pretty much of a
>stereotype.

She couldn't remember, after studying it all evening what causes pollution.
One of the Beauties says 'I wouldn't eat a lot of gaseous foods and cause
fart pollution'. LOL Again this isn't off the cuff. They'd been studying
five potential questions. Global Warming, Pollution and some others. Wasn't
paying attention, wife and daughter watching.

Reminds me of a classic Bobby Julich moment in the TdF interview, 1999.

BJ: "I'm engaged to...a girl" (forgot her name?)
Laughs
BJ: Wait, I better do that over.

nobody wrote:

> So no Quaternary Ammonium cleansers? Don't you have patients with hepatitis
> risk? No AIDS patients? Just curious. Do you have a cleaning service?

All instruments are sterilized or disposable, of course. If I use a
surface disinfectant, it's either a phenolic or glutaraldehyde--pretty
nasty stuff, but quats are considered pretty useless as disinfectants
these days. There should be no direct contact with any cabinet surfaces
anyhow during a procedure, but of course they're considered contaminated
from droplet nucleii. I confess I don't bag the entire dental
chair--just the headrest.

> I recall 15yrs ago when I had a tooth pulled in an emergency the tech put a
> needle in my vein without alcohol swab (Sodium Brevitol drip), just jammed
> it in there - I would know - I did venipunctures at the time. Freaked me
> out 'cuz we do iodine swab prep for big needles (this was a 16ga.). No
> problems but it made me wonder about their training. Do you use anesthesia
> like that also, or just gas?

Actually, I don't even use nitrous anymore, and thank goodness NY State
now requires certification for enteral and parenteral agents (I believe
inhalation agents too, but I'm not sure it's required for nitrous).
I understand your concern about disinfecting the skin prior to
injection, but you don't believe you can disinfect oral mucosae prior to
injection, do you? I can't say I can recall even one infection I can
attribute to an intraoral injection in 30 years. Yes, it ain't aseptic,
but we manage to get away somehow with a multitude of sins.

>>> BTW, I noticed on 'The Beauty and the Geek' one of the beauties was a D.A.
>>> She was as dumb as a box of hammers. How in the world could she get through
>>> school? Did you see that show? ;-D
>>>
>>> Again, just chatting.

>> No, haven't seen it. I'm not surprised, that's pretty much of a
>> stereotype.

> She couldn't remember, after studying it all evening what causes pollution.
> One of the Beauties says 'I wouldn't eat a lot of gaseous foods and cause
> fart pollution'. LOL Again this isn't off the cuff. They'd been studying
> five potential questions. Global Warming, Pollution and some others. Wasn't
> paying attention, wife and daughter watching.
>
> Reminds me of a classic Bobby Julich moment in the TdF interview, 1999.
>
> BJ: "I'm engaged to...a girl" (forgot her name?)
> Laughs
> BJ: Wait, I better do that over.

Luckily (for me) I'm tolerant of fart pollution. Wow, I didn't
remember that about Julich--that's really impressive.

Steve

> Oh, yes--the state inspects our X-ray equipment every few years.

Only every few years? Guess that explains why you guys run & hide every time
you do an x-ray! :>)

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

>>Oh, yes--the state inspects our X-ray equipment every few years.

> Only every few years? Guess that explains why you guys run & hide every time
> you do an x-ray! :>)

Ya know, I'll probably regret saying this now--but x-ray equipment is
practically all we use that rarely breaks down or wears out. I don't
remember ever flunking an inspection--maybe the more sophisticated
radiological equipment is more prone to breakdowns, but we've never had
problems.
There are other things I wish I could hide from.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> Only every few years? Guess that explains why you guys run & hide every time
> you do an x-ray! :>)

You'd better start get worried if he uses a robotic drill and hides behind
a lead screen when using it.